Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemistry Video Software.
TheNerdyFarmer
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-11-2017 at 20:03
Chemistry Video Software.

Hello everyone. I have been doing chem experiments for awhile now and would like to start making videos on it. However, I cannot seem to find any decent video software to use in order to start making reasonable videos. YouTube removed much of their video editing features. I need to find something that allows me to create, and implement an audio track. I need this because much of the experiments I do are in the fume hood and the fume hood is quite loud. That is the main feature that I need/want before I start making vids besides stuff liked cutting out unnecessary parts.
Do any of you have any advice as to what software is good to use? Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. It's a bit of an oddball.

Also, if anyone has any good ideas on general format, I would be glad to hear them. :).
nezza
Hazard to Others

Mood: phosphorescent

[*] posted on 23-11-2017 at 02:30

Movie Maker (Up to Windows 7) is a decent, easy program to use for titling and cutting videos. If you want to do a professional job Da Vinci resolve is a brilliant piece of software and is free to amateur users, but the learning curve is rather steep.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 23-11-2017 at 10:00

What operating system do you use? I've gotten good results with Lightworks on Mac/Linux but it has a Windows version as well. There's a bit of a learning curve but there is helpful documentation and instructional videos online.

https://www.lwks.com

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 23-11-2017 at 10:26

Ubuntu here.

I use Kdenlive, which is awesome and free.

Chemi Pharma
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quarantined

[*] posted on 24-11-2017 at 23:14

Sony Vegas is the best in my oppinion.

It's what I use for.

You can easily find a torrent hacked version on the NET.
Tdep
National Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 25-11-2017 at 05:26

Yes I agree, Sony Vegas is a great option. It's what I use, as well as NileRed and I believe Chemplayer. It can be very confronting at first, but 90% of what you do involves two or three buttons, just cutting together different clips. Once you work out how to do that, you can then look up individual tutorials like 'how do I add text' or 'how can i zoom and pan across a shot?'. It's very rare that you'll want to do something, and Sony Vegas can't do it, it is very powerful so as well as doing the basics well, you don't hit the capability limit of the program like you easily do with say iMovie or Windows movie maker.
TheNerdyFarmer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-11-2017 at 11:37

Thank you all for the replies. My operating system is windows. I may try and use each program to see which one I like best. Again thank you all for the replies.
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-12-2017 at 06:06

We use Lightworks which is free (and getting more bug free over time thankfully). Unfortunately it will only generate output files at 720p 24fps resolution on the free version. It took a while to get the hang of it though.

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
CRUSTY
Hazard to Others

Mood: High-Order

[*] posted on 15-12-2017 at 10:35

I second the vote for Lightworks. If you're looking for detail of editing, it's the best free choice. You could also be naughty and torrent a copy of Adobe After Effects, but I don't recommend pirating. I totally forgot about the resolution limit that chemplayer mentioned, that's a pretty serious downside. If that is a huge issue for you, I would go for Movie Maker. It is absolute trash, but it gets the job done, and can export in 1080p and 30 fps. I have a YouTube video with 78000 views, but it was all done in movie maker. I've never used Sony Vegas before, so I can't really give input on that.

"I've made a huge mistake"

Check out my YouTube channel ("spectrofreak") here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUlsCGK8d9UTjZA5DJ5a3A
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2017 at 12:14

I use AVS Video Editor. It was inexpensive and isn't super complex, which was good for me since all I ever do is stick clips together with transitions, add text, watermark, etc. There's a separate track for audio files, so you can mute your video segment and insert audio that you pre-record or record on the spot in the software. It can be a little buggy at times and crashes occasionally, so save often!

The benefit of AVS is you buy one license, then get access to their entire suite of software products. Video and audio editors and converters, etc.
mayko
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2017 at 09:19

Has anyone tried out the Pro version of Lightworks? I was thinking about upgrading, but on visiting the store it looks too expensive to justify at the moment:
https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=a...

On the other hand, I might wait for a while, buy a month-long license, and spend it exporting higher quality versions of my older videos & checking out the extra features once I've got a better understanding of the software.

TheNerdyFarmer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-1-2018 at 19:14

Hello everyone. I know it has been awhile but I would like to say thanks for all the replies. I have decided to use lightworks since a bunch of people mentioned it. I have made one video using it so far. It will take awhile to get used to all the features on it.
If you would like to see the video and give me some constructive criticism, that would be great. I have not made an intro. So, pretty much the only thing I did in it is cut and trim the video to exclude useless info/screw ups. I understand that it is a very rough start but i think it is way better than the initial raw footage. I plan to upload some chemistry soon. Can't find time to do any though.

The video can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiVExH-KQ_Y&t=28s
mayko
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-4-2019 at 07:56

I stayed away from kdenlive for a long time because in my experience KDE anything was a resource hog and a video editor sounded like a nightmare.

But those experiences were from Kubuntu in early 2009 and I recently tried it again on a new laptop and found it had slimmed down considerably. The frustrations were building up with lightworks (including difficulties with Linux installation) so I decided to try out kdenlive and I was sold pretty fast.

Lighworks would be a good option for a small business specializing in video which can afford the licence and the custom hardware, but the price is out of range for many individuals and the free version is hobbled in a number of crucial ways , such as limits on final video quality.

Kdenlive has a nontrivial footprint but nothing unmanageable on my less-than-cutting edge lappy. Further, the rendering is done by first writing and then running a shell script, with the option of stopping after the scripts are written and running them manually. This means that 1) the resource-hungry rendering step can be decoupled from the GUI and 2) the "source code" for the video can be easily updated if eg the path to the videos changes. (The open source portability & archivability is also a plus). It was easy for me to go sideways from lightworks to kdenlive so I don't think it would be any harder to learn from scratch.

RedDwarf
Hazard to Others

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 21-4-2019 at 09:03

What do you all use as a video camera?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 21-4-2019 at 15:07

I use my phone. You can tell.

Actually, it is a whole lot better than might be imagined.
Things to watch for:
  • Holding camera with one hand and trying to do chemistry with the other is to be avoided.
  • Light is everything. Watch for shadows.
  • Autofocus problems. Make sure the thing is focussed on what you want it focussed on. Especially for close-ups. I always allow a few seconds at the beginning of each take for the focus to sort itself out. This gets edited out later.
  • A tripod of some kind is invaluable.

My latest video has all manner of failings which may be instructive. I acquired a tripod part way through and I wanted to reshoot everything. But parts of it came out ok and it shows what's possible.
    From a filming point of view, I think my 100subs video is best. So many flukes in that production.

[Edited on 23-4-2019 by j_sum1]

Go To Top