Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Net Neutrality vote coming up - call your rep, sign petition, post on FB to tell others - SOMETHING!
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 23-11-2017 at 21:02

Funny thing is that I literally have a large long haul fiber bundle that passes under my driveway. It carries data for three of the largest internet websites at 100G. But I can't
access any of it at home but I have all the bandwidth I could possibly use at work, I just
can't use it for browsing the things I want. Like this website.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 23-11-2017 at 23:28

Thanks for the explantions macckone - definitely an eye-opener, for me at least.

I had assumed that the USA would have already rolled out high speed internet to just about every nook and cranny.

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 28-11-2017 at 02:24

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Thanks for the explantions macckone - definitely an eye-opener, for me at least.

I had assumed that the USA would have already rolled out high speed internet to just about every nook and cranny.

My parents live in rural upstate New York and had dial-up until 2012. Now they can get DSL, but it used to be that DSL was only available if you were 3 miles or less from the hub, which is generally in a town. Newer DSL extends that range quite a bit, but my parents live in an area with a lot of Amish, so there wasn't exactly a huge demand for broadband there. They did finally get it though. There are government subsidies for expanding broadband to underserved areas, and "broadband" is defined as being 500 kBps or more. It used to be less. It's kind of funny how the download speed there tops out at whatever the minimum legal definition of "broadband" is at the time. Not that I mind, anything is better than dial-up.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Lurker
Harmless

Mood: Static

[*] posted on 15-12-2017 at 09:30

So... What now?

"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." — William Blake
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2017 at 09:31

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Net Neutrality is a good idea, but it needs to be established by legislation rather than the decree of a federal agency without lawful authority to establish it.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top