Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesizing ETN with 55% nitric acid?
Sandman3232
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-11-2017 at 10:17
Synthesizing ETN with 55% nitric acid?

I've seen many synthesis with AN and KNO3, but i cant find one with using nitric acid? Can it work and could it be better? As no other salts would form.
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
27-11-2017 at 11:10
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 27-11-2017 at 11:10

This belongs in the energetic materials section.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 27-11-2017 at 12:49

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  
This belongs in the energetic materials section.

No, not as a new topic with zero attribution of his background materials or any personal experimentation to report. Doesn't even really make the cut for "quick question, short answer" as it is.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Sandman3232
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-11-2017 at 15:21

Sorry for that.. i should just have continued reading
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 27-11-2017 at 19:24

It's OK to be ignorant when you get here, we all were at one time (still largely am, myself...).

If you ask a question, just please state WHERE the information you based it on came from.

As long as you're trying to learn, it's OK.

Please also read the FAQ:

Board Topics- Mad Science FAQ

Quote:

It is okay to be ignorant when first arriving and posting. However, you must be willing to make an effort to learn. If you are unable to cite references in support of an idea or as background to your question, the post belongs in Beginnings. Questions that provide background information and show effort are more likely to receive good responses.

If an existing thread covers the topic you're about to post about, post in that thread instead of a new one. It makes it easier for members to keep up with topics of interest. You may need to search before posting if you're unsure whether or not a thread already exists. The search engine is not very powerful and may miss relevant threads, but please make at least a cursory effort.

Do not request spoonfeeding of information for clandestine drug manufacture. However, every sort of chemistry is a permissible topic of discussion if you discuss it like a scientist. If someone is asking about obtaining chemicals used in drug manufacture and using the vocabulary of a SWIM—"someone who isn't me"—-mer more than a chemist, report it and the thread will be dealt with after a moderator has confirmed your findings. Similarly, if someone is asking for help with a synthetic "recipe" for a known street drug, report that too. Don't bother to berate the cooks in the thread itself instead; that doesn't bring the mods any faster. In truth the mods and most members dislike any thread where someone is seeking or using a "recipe" and doesn't show any deeper interest in chemistry, but this has been mostly a problem with drug synthesis because of the many people who want to quickly get rich or high.

Certain topics are unwelcome no matter what section they are posted in. The discussion of criminal enterprises or weapons production is inappropriate.
[/rquote]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 28-11-2017 at 07:04

It's possible, but you need to use a correspondingly greater amount of sulfuric acid, and then neutralize that acid at the end. It's usually better to fortify the nitric acid with an insoluble desiccant before hand, then filter it out before combining the nitric acid with the sulfuric acid. I'm 99% sure that I used silica gel in the past without having any problems.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!

Go To Top