Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Practical Glass Chemistry & DIY Photochromic Glass
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 30-11-2017 at 16:29
Practical Glass Chemistry & DIY Photochromic Glass

I haven't seen much posted here about the material science of glass, so this might be interesting. I'm still watching the video and there's a lot of good background on glass chemistry that can be done on glass itself. The photochromism comes from silver chloride dispersed through the glass matrix.

THE CHEMISTRY AND ENGINEERING OF DIY PHOTOCHROMIC GLASS
https://hackaday.com/2017/11/28/the-chemistry-and-engineerin...

Quote:

[Ben Krasnow] is no stranger to exploring the more arcane corners of hackerdom, and the latest video on his “Applied Science” channel goes into a field few DIYers have touched: homemade glass, including the photochromic variety.

That DIY glassmaking remains a largely untapped vein is not surprising given what [Ben] learned over the last months of experimenting. With searing temperatures bordering on the unobtainable, volatile ingredients that evaporate before they can be incorporated, and a final product so reactive that a platinum crucible is the best vessel for the job, glassmaking is not easy, to say the least. Glassmaking doesn’t scale down from an industrial process very well, it seems. Nonetheless, [Ben] came up with a process that could be replicated using common enough ingredients and a simple electric kiln modded with a PID controller for pinpoint temperature setting. And while Luxottica has nothing to worry about yet, he did manage to get some clearly if subtly photochromic samples, despite the challenges.

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez

Go To Top