Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Creating page on Wiki - minor problems
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 3-12-2017 at 21:28
Creating page on Wiki - minor problems

Thought I'd revisit a few ideas for pages I wanted to create on the Wiki. The first idea I had in mind was a page for neodymium magnets specifically, as it would be a good place for info (density, composition, molar mass, etc.) that wouldn't quite fit on neodymium or its compounds' pages. That in mind, here's the rough draft.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Magnets

I had to link it from another page to create it, so I'm unsure how to rename it to "Neodymium-iron-boron magnet" like I want. Furthermore, when I made a new category in the infobox for the Curie temperature, it didn't show up in the user-end page. Any ideas on fixing this?

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 09:38

Hi. There is already a page on Neodymium magnets on the wiki, so the page you wrote is unnecessary. I think it's best if you move the data from your draft page there, and rename it from "Magnets" to just "Magnet", which should be an article on the magnets (types, properties, uses, etc.), because I don't see the point of two identical pages, and a page for magnet would be useful. See what info is missing in the NdFeB magnet article, and copy-paste from the draft article there.

The current infobox model doesn't show every information you introduce, I don't know where's the issue, I'm not much into programming. You should ask Polverone or zts if they can do anything about it.

P.S. I should visit the forum more often.

[Edited on 6-12-2017 by Mabus]

elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2018 at 14:37

I am unsure how to delete the old page - I think a moderator might have to do it? I'm unconvinced that we need a magnet page, but for now I'll try to write it.

Anyway, I have migrated all the information onto the page you suggested.

Mabus
Wiki Master

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 08:11

Good. As for the magnets page, I think since they're so useful in many gadgets, they can have their own page (I was considering making one a while ago) and I will add more info.
Another thing I was considering for a while, is that there should be a different type of infobox for mixtures of compounds, alloys, and alike, as I feel that the compound infobox is insufficient.

elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 11:08

Quote: Originally posted by Mabus  

Another thing I was considering for a while, is that there should be a different type of infobox for mixtures of compounds, alloys, and alike, as I feel that the compound infobox is insufficient.

I can definitely agree to that. Things like 'Where to buy' for OTC products, composition ratios, stuff like that would be incredibly helpful for stuff that isn't a pure sample of one compound.

Mabus
Wiki Master

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 12:48

Heh, yeah, I actually considered that a while ago, I feel that the infoboxes should be more amateur chemistry-friendly, and less Wikipedia-like.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 13:21

Looking at the existing Nd magnets page, does someone have a reference for the equations used for magnet dissolusion? Particularly interested in information on how boron arrives at boric acid or free boron depending on the acid used.

Also, the second link under Projects is the same as the first link. Incorrect URL?

[Edited on 1-11-2018 by MrHomeScientist]
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 14:40

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Looking at the existing Nd magnets page, does someone have a reference for the equations used for magnet dissolusion? Particularly interested in information on how boron arrives at boric acid or free boron depending on the acid used.

Also, the second link under Projects is the same as the first link. Incorrect URL?

[Edited on 1-11-2018 by MrHomeScientist]

Those are actually from my own work. When I dissolved a magnet in hot sulfuric acid for my senior project, no boron precipitate (black or brown) was left. In fact, there was no precipitate whatsoever other than an off-white, water-soluble substance, which I initially presumed to be boric acid but actually turned out to be a mixture of iron(II) sulfate and various RE sulfates (roughly equal Gd, Ce and Nd) upon SEM analysis.

They're not confirmed in any meaningful way, rather, they're my best guess as to what happens. Wikipedia does mention that finely divided boron reacts slowly with hot, concentrated sulfuric and nitric acids, and that it resists attack by boiling concentrated hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid, but doesn't say what the product is in the case of the former. It's not a borane of any kind, as I think I would have been able to smell that, so my only remaining guess is boric acid that dissolved into solution.

Also, I could have sworn that there was a thread titled 'Isolation of neodymium from magnets', but now that I'm looking, I can't find it even with Google. I removed the second URL for now.

[Edited on 1/11/2018 by elementcollector1]

TaPtI-279
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-4-2019 at 23:59

I want to edit the page on "Grignard reactions" on he Wiki, but I can't understand a thing about how to become a member of the group it wants me to be in for me to be able to edit the page. Can you please help?

Go To Top