Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quartz Tube Reactor
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 14:31
Quartz Tube Reactor

I've been working on a design for a quartz tube reactor. I'd like to be able to use it to make metal hydrides (like lithium hydride) and Lewis acids (like aluminum chloride and boron tribromide). I might even use it to make hydrochloric acid.

Here is what I have sketched out so far. I think it should use a large (~45 mm ID, 50 cm) diameter tube with a reducing adapter so that it can be loaded with boats or packed with reagents and then sealed and interfaced with smaller diameter equipment for gas delivery, etc. The reducing adapter should be this style I think (not the bushing style) since it might be hard to remove pieces of equipment from a bushing that had been heated to extremely high temperatures.

The tube will connect to a 250 mL bulb with a takeoff leading directly downwards with a standard taper male joint. The output is designed to connect to a copper tubing-wrapped quartz condenser, which can then interface with borosilicate.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to improve on this design? I was thinking possibly it might be useful to add hooks for wiring other pieces to the apparatus since leaking 800 degree halogens are not my idea of entertainment... or maybe the inlet should have a male joint....

Untitled.png - 39kB

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 15:08

Do you have access to this design of quartzware, or the ability to create one yourself/pay for it to be created, or is this just wild speculation ?

If none of the above apply, try mixing random things up and see if they react when you set fire to them.

Noob advice: if all you can do (safely) is whizz up some flour and then [Err 192: CIA REDACTION ASSERTED]

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 15:12

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Do you have access to this design of quartzware, or the ability to create one yourself/pay for it to be created

Yeah, I can have quartz labware custom made.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 15:40

I'm getting these here pretty soon (they're quartz). They are just simple standard taper tubes, but everything from small quartz crucibles to large pieces of quartz manufacturing equipment is available. I'm going to test out a few concepts with these before I order the big tube.

IMG_1544 (3).JPG - 154kB

[Edited on 5-12-2017 by JJay]

Go To Top