Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Manganese nitrate synthesis
lalalympo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 13:39
Manganese nitrate synthesis

I was wondering if it's possible to make manganese nitrate by the reaction of nitric acid and manganese carbonate according to the reaction: MnCO3 + 2 HNO3 -> Mn(NO3)2 + H2O + CO2. It seems very simple, way easier than the method using oxalic acid. MnCO3 is insoluble in water, but maybe it still reacts with acid the same way CaCO3 does?

I found a pottery store that sells manganese carbonate, it's probably loaded with impurities, especially considering its low pricetag, but I could do some re-crystallization with the manganese nitrate.

[Edited on 5-12-2017 by lalalympo]
happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 14:02

Of course.
gdflp
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
5-12-2017 at 14:03
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 17:12

I wouldn't be so sure. Nitric acid might oxidize Mn(II) to Mn(IV), giving you manganese dioxide and NOx. Try it out on a small scale and see if you get a nice light pink solution or a bunch of brown crud and nasty fumes.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 17:39

I doubt nitric acid will oxidize Mn(II) to MnO2- even in a concentrated solution of nitric acid, it requires a stronger oxidizing agent than nitrate (chlorate works). It's easier to oxidize to MnO2 in more basic solution, but the the nitrate ion doesn't act as an oxidant.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 18:39

Alright, I did a quick experiment out of curiosity. In a test tube, I made a suspension of manganese carbonate in water and added a few drops of azeotropic nitric acid. It fizzed and dissolved quickly to yield a pale pink solution. Gas given off was odorless. Looks like DraconicAcid is correct, and manganese(II) nitrate should be stable.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 10:32

Its easy to make manganese nitrate solution but its quite another to obtain manganese nitrate crystals. I found it extremely soluble and the final crystals extremely deliquescent. MnCO3 dissolves in hot 30% nitric acid fairly readily, excess carbonate ensures complete consumption of the acid and I had no problems with excessive oxidation or hydrolysis in the concentrated solution that results but evaporating it to crystallization was difficult. I wonder if you could bring about crystallization by adding ethanol to the concentrated solution?
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 20:09

Some stuff here

https://geocitieschloratesite.000webhostapp.com/chlorate/mno...

Since I obtained 500 mls of nitric acid (at great expense) a few weeks ago. I have now made some Mn Nitrate by reacting it with pottery grade Mn Carbonate and filtering. You need to leave the solution slightly acidic otherwise the Mn nitrate tends to decompose.

[Edited on 7-12-2017 by yobbo II]

Go To Top