Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-5-2019 at 09:42

Nice

I'm French so excuse my language
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 14:17

I tried this today, following the Lynn and Shoemaker procedure as precisely as I could. Unfortunately my yield was a lousy 5.7g, nowhere near the 32.6g the authors got. However, this should be enough for what I wanted to use it for, so I am still happy with this.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 08:17

I also could never get a yield near that of L&S. I don't think this a very good procedure, but it is the only one I could find.

My product showed exactly the correct refractive index shown in literature. However, it did not smell of peppermint and it failed to produce phenyl ethyl ether in reaction with phenol.

I am interested to find out if your product produces a successful reaction, DavidJR.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 12:33

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
I also could never get a yield near that of L&S. I don't think this a very good procedure, but it is the only one I could find.

My product showed exactly the correct refractive index shown in literature. However, it did not smell of peppermint and it failed to produce phenyl ethyl ether in reaction with phenol.

I am interested to find out if your product produces a successful reaction, DavidJR.

I definitely got a lot of diethyl ether vapour sucked out via the pump.

I haven't tried using the product yet but I don't really see what it could possibly be other than diethyl sulfate. It certainly isn't ethanol, nor ether, nor sulphuric acid, nor ethene. Ethyl hydrogen sulfate (ethylsulfuric acid) is the closest fit but wouldn't that have resulted in bubbling on washing with sodium carbonate? What else could be produced?

I did catch a couple of whiffs of it, and it is definitely a sweet odour. I'm not sure I would have said peppermint if I hadn't seen that written, but I can sorta get a vague wintergreen-like sense to it.

Monoamine
Hazard to Others

Mood: +7

[*] posted on 26-3-2022 at 15:17

Impressive work! Thank you for sharing this detailed procedure.

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1) What's the reason an oil bath needs to be used instead of e.g. a heating mantle? Also, what oil do you use to reach this temperature?

2) A bit off topic, but could you use this procedure to make ethyl tosylate (if you use toluene sulfonic acid instead of sulfuric acid (and adjust the stoichiometry accordingly)?

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top