Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Storing nitrogen in ampoule
Foeskes
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2017 at 18:06
Storing nitrogen in ampoule

I'm going to store nitrogen in a ampoule. But I'm not completely sure if I way I'm going to make it will work since I never stored a gas in an ampoule. My plan is to hold the glass tube(similar to nilered's video) upside down and blow nitrogen gas into the tube with a small tube(or a 18 gauge needle) and after a bit seal the ampoule by heating with a torch(rotating it around the area of tube that will be sealed for even heating) to seal it. I have made ampoules in the past storing iodine (which worked) and sodium under oil(which always cracked due to the oil causing a temperature difference).
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 24-12-2017 at 19:12

With N2 you won't really ever know how good your ampoule is.
The easuest way is to prepare your ampoule with a narrow neck then flood with your gas using a needle: preferably with a glove box. Stopper the ampoule and then flame seal the narrow neck.

Plunkett
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2017 at 19:25

On ampouling sodium, put a little bit of mineral oil in the bottom of the test tube with the sodium then neck the tube. Let the tube cool and then use a pipette to fill the rest of the ampoule with mineral oil, stopping where the tube starts to narrow. Try as best you can to prevent mineral oil from getting in the neck of the tube because it can interfere with the sealing process. Last, with your flame horizontal, seal the ampoule. It can be done, it just takes a little practice.

[Edited on 25-12-2017 by Plunkett]

Go To Top