Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Label Files
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-12-2017 at 05:25
Label Files

I will post a link to a google drive or other such system, in it will be a PDF and other formats for labels.

I will start with the chems I have and gradually add other popular ones. That way you can print labels as required, i am not 100% sure on the label rules yet. There is a couple of things the law seems a bit vague on regarding labels, I will also include various size blank templates so you can do your own.

First job however is to find out EXACTLY what is required by law, hopefully i will also add a set that goes beyond the requirements. The reason for this is simple, a recent case showed that one of the things that was mentioned a few times was the label system used.

While we might think the chemical formula on a bottle is enough, its likely to cause you trouble and cost should things go wrong on a visit.

Once i start getting these files up, i would appreciate feedback on them. I would rather change things early. I might include a coloured border if the rules allow, this would denote chemical type.

I also have information on cupboards coming soon, this is going to become something that is absolutely required this year. We are lucky, some things like none oxidizing acids may be stored in wooden cupboards.

I will also supply signs for your lab door....Yes if you keep chems in your lab then door DOES REQUIRE a sign on it, some chemicals you also need to keep locked, while this is minimum i was informed an alarm would b required as well.

This isnt in the rules, but the police who visited are insisting on it. They also want to know who is aware what is kept on the premises, so it might be useful to keep mouths shut to people about what you have. Looking into this at the moment, so far from what I can see, if you shoot your mouth off and get robbed, there is an offense you could get charged with!!

I have decided rather than buy a rotavap, i will use the money to go talk to a solicitor about some of this, i am looking for one who knows there way around the terror laws and chemistry stuff, not easy to find!
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2017 at 05:41

This ended up in the wrong place!!! can a mod please combine this with the files thread in legal for me please :D. No idea how i stuffed that up!! and delete this bit..........many thx
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2017 at 07:16

Label wise we have some complications, so first off lets get it straight which rules apply to the UK.

On 20th Jan 2009 new rules came into force in the EU, these are known more generally as CLP (classification,labeling and packaging), CLP is legally binding and anything contained within that legislation has to be followed by ANY EU country.

Most are more familiar with the Global GHS standard, You need to be aware of the differences with this. GHS stands for (Globally Harmonized System), however it is VOLUNTARY for countries to adopt. In the EU it was decided to dump all the GHS rules into CLP. So at the moment CLP and GHS are pretty much the same rules, but this could (and will ) change at some point.

To make it clear.

GHS is a voluntary code, CLP is the EU law. Currently I cant see any difference between them, but if one changes then the one you have to follow (unless we change at Brexit! ) is whatever CLP says. The complication again is Brexit, the UK may decide to change a few things and if GHS becomes different from CLP its likely we will follow GHS, But for the moment its CLP we have to follow.

The sunset date for this was 2015, so it is now fully implemented.
In the UK we also have other rules we need to be aware of, these are COSHH (Control Of Substances Hazardous to Health). COSHH and CLP are not the same, both however have legal enforcement. It is normally assumed that COSHH is purely for business, and COSHH was designed for business. However COSHH was set up by the HSE (health and Safety Executive), so anyhting in COSHH remotely relevant to us, it would be prudent to follow.

If you adopt as much as COSHH as you can, then its unlikely you will find yourself with obscure charges against you, it also shows a level of professionalism, i think it prudent to be as professional as we can.

So where does REACH fit in this? REACH stands for Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation & restriction of CHemicals.

REACH is a EU REGULATION (not a directive as such), So for now at least, REACH also has to be complied with. From the home chemist perspective REACH gives us a couple problems, REACH is aimed at business and trade, However the police and all agencies in the UK, are given mainly REACH training.

So effectively the guy that knocks on your door with expert in hand, is going to look at your lab with business eyes. It was clear from several talks with the authorities, that REACH is seen as the law in the UK. I honestly dont think those in authority realize its a trade tool, so REACH is one thing to make sure your up on, even if you could technically argue in court, that some of it dosnt apply, you would not be looked upon kindly.

One of the problems I have with planning at the moment is to do with REACH and the fact it conflicts with a UK law, this isnt going to affect many so i wont detail it here, but it does show that REACH is thought of as the main rules.

If this wasnt bad enough we have yet more rules, these may apply to most of us, especially with thing like secret santa and buying or swapping stuff off other members. Science madness has a long tradition of members swapping etc, however not all members are in the EU.

This is one of those snake pits that you want to avoid if you can, technically if you buy,swap or get anything from a non EU member from here, then effectively you are under the rules of PIC.

PIC
only affects some chemicals, however its something to consider, while its unlikely it will affect many if any people here, you sure as hell dont want to get charged under it!

PIC stands for Prior Informed Consent, it covers some hazardous chemicals, to quote from the website

"The PIC Regulation requires exporters in EU Member States to notify their intention to export certain chemicals to countries outside the EU. In addition to the notification requirement, the export of some chemicals also requires the explicit consent of the importing country."

While it dosnt mention Import on that particular page, it does effectively cover export/import. Again it was intended for companies, however I am aware it has been used against individuals in some terror cases. Now this dosnt mean if your not a terrorist you dont have to pay attention, its one of those rules where, if they really dislike you, and really want to hammer you for something. Then a breach of PIC would be ideal for them!

Getting a secret santa from a non EU country is certainly covered by the rules, infact send anything anywhere that is on the list, and do it outside of PIC is asking for serious trouble.

I will post the actual details that may apply to us in another post, for now my intention is just to introduce you to the rules that apply to us. As I am sure you can see, the whole thing starts to get complicated quickly.

The last statement is worth thinking about, the different rules are many, some conflict. Its highly unlikely that many in authority will actually know which apply in any given circumstance, this is the real danger. When things get complicated the little guy gets fucked.#

So for me at least, i am making sure I know and understand what actually applies to my situation, then if things go south i at least know if someone has got something wrong. I think this last point will matter alot more in the next couple of years.

So is that all the rules? ERMMMmm NO!

COMAH
On the face of it COMAH has absolutely nothing to do with us, but in a couple of situations it is possible to fall foul of it. i am aware of several USA incidents by home chemists, that in the EU would actually, technically come under breaches of COMAH

COMAH stands for.... Control of Major Accident Hazards

its intention is for...

"Take all necessary measures to prevent major accidents involving dangerous substances Limit the consequences to people and the environment of any major accidents which do occur"

on the face of it, the rules are designed for incidents like the Buncefield Oil refinery one a few years back (my mums parents lived 1/2 mile from it when it went off)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buncefield_fire

So how the feck does this affect us? Well think of the American incident where a kid tried to build a nuclear reactor at home! That would come under it.

The member who died making Phosgene, if it had been enough then it would also count. Looking through old news, i came across several home incidents that could have been covered by it.

Think about the words for a min, MAJOR incident. In the recent case of a member here, the wording around the case was always, major operation, possibility of a MAJOR incident... While we scoff at those claims, imagine some the head cases we get on here, suppose one actually made 500g of Ricin or whatever. Then for sure it would be a major incident.

Start a fire in a tower block with Diethyl Ether, that is a major incident and would be covered. Its unlikely you would face charges under those laws, but again just be aware of it, there is an easy way to make sure your arse is covered.

The part mentions take all reasonable precautions, something i will address later is Risk Assessments, personally i think a general risk assessment form kept for each experiment, is a prudent idea.
I will detail my reasoning later, but a simple risk assessment looks like it would prevent prosecution under COMAH.

So is that it?
Kind of, those are the main ones for now, keep in mind until recently common laws have been used, but as we have seen recently, more and more of these other rules are being enforced and used.

I will post information files giving overviews of all the above soon, these will be posted here and the other thread, i will also keep a up to date copy on a google drive and supply the link.

I am sorry if anyone thinks this is a complete pile of shit, i know i look paranoid and a foil hatter, but honestly i have gone this route purely because of information i was given, also i think recent events have shown, things like this are no longer a far off reality. Worse still, being on the wrong side of the rules can be devastating.

I will post files and such later.

EDIT

I forgot Carriage of Dangerous Goods! Or CDG rules, these apply to us, and most of us have broken these many times, unfortunately we often break mail laws as well which are tied up with CDG.

[Edited on 27-12-2017 by NEMO-Chemistry]
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2017 at 08:01
Barcodes and software

As well as doing the labels I am going to add barcodes and a link to some software.
This was also inspired by recent events. The barcode would stop the stupidity of over reaction and identification, i understand why the response what it was, so if we add the right barcodes they have no excuse to say they were unsure of contents.

The app i use on my tablet is called barcode the opensource project and software can be found at the ZXing project.

It has a feature where it searches the net for the barcode you have just scanned, i have tried it already with some chemicals, it brings up the correct ones. i intend to use Sigma A code if I can.

Software for keeping an inventory

There is loads but most require alot of money! A reasonable one that is free is Chem inventory, its web based and fairly basic, but it also lets you use barcodes. It takes a little getting used to but worth it.

https://www.cheminventory.net/
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2017 at 08:05

Most of those laws fall into UK law as regulations under the Health + Safety at work etc Act.

Since amateurs are not at work the regs don't cover us.
You seem not to have read what the enforcing authority says about COMAH
"The Control of Major Accident Hazards (COMAH) Regulations ensuring that businesses:

Take all necessary measures to prevent major accidents involving dangerous substances"

http://www.hse.gov.uk/comah/

A police officer turning up at your house has little authority to enforce the regs under the HSAW act (That's the HSE inspectors' job) but he will probbaly misapply the anti terrorism or drugs control laws.

If you set a block of flats on fire it's not COMAH. There are clear rules about what is and what isn't.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l111.pdf
You would need to store 10 tonnes of ether to reach the COMAH (lower tier) threshold.

[Edited on 27-12-17 by unionised]
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2017 at 09:14

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Most of those laws fall into UK law as regulations under the Health + Safety at work etc Act.

"The Control of Major Accident Hazards (COMAH) Regulations ensuring that businesses:

Take all necessary measures to prevent major accidents involving dangerous substances"

A police officer turning up at your house has little authority to enforce the regs under the HSAW act (That's the HSE inspectors' job) but he will probbaly misapply the anti terrorism or drugs control laws.

If you set a block of flats on fire it's not COMAH. There are clear rules about what is and what isn't.
You would need to store 10 tonnes of ether to reach the COMAH (lower tier) threshold.

What about phosgene etc? most of it does come under work related or business. But for many of us when we get a knock on the door what are we? Do we say home chemists and sorry about the Nitric acid, or go the company route as non profit research chemists?

Bloggers ran a company as a sole trader, and although a strange case, i think it is going to apply more and more. Alot of the above is included for completeness. I still think there is much to be said for following the business rules for storage etc.

It isnt so much the HSE would get involved, but look at the court transcripts and newspaper articles on said case. Its hard for them to make you look bad if you follow industry practice and act professionally.

No a home chemist dosnt have to have weight kept below shoulder height, but doing so makes damn sure your not breaking ANY rule.

The reality is there are few if any rules for home chemists, effectively home chemistry is dead. One thing i have been told of by the police... doing a reaction that causes a product to be produced is classed as manufacture. This follows the logic of many of the drug laws regarding importers and dealer etc.

Give a mate some your weed and your a dealer, give it to five mates at a party who then share and your a supplier!! So following that logic i am trying to make sure we are covered.

I appreciate the input and chance to clarify. Simply put, if you got ANYTHING you shouldnt have, then sooner or later you got two choices, go independent non profit company or give up.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2017 at 09:52

Quote: Originally posted by NEMO-Chemistry  

What about phosgene etc? most of it does come under work related or business. But for many of us when we get a knock on the door what are we? Do we say home chemists and sorry about the Nitric acid, or go the company route as non profit research chemists?

Well, for phosgene the lower limit is 300Kg- hardly home chemistry.

Possession of weed is currently a criminal offence- the only sensible advice is make sure you don't possess it.

However, possession of copper sulphate isn't an offence- even if you have a thousand tons of it.
If you are a business which stocks copper sulphate then you had better follow the rules for storage, labelling, risk assessment and so o.

But, as an individual (at least until recently) the regulations didn't apply to you.

The problem is that recent changes in regulations have removed your right to own some materials- notably "explosive precursors" which covers many oxidising agents etc.

So, as you say, legal home chemistry is pretty much dead.
If you are legally adult, you can set up a company and - as long as you jump through the legislative hoops- you can buy stuff.
But the laws that apply to companies are complex- explosives manufacture, for example, requires a license. Very few individuals will ever get granted that license.
So pyrotechnics are off the list of things you can do as a company- and you can't do it as an individual either.

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2017 at 12:03

Well, for phosgene the lower limit is 300Kg- hardly home chemistry.

Possession of weed is currently a criminal offence- the only sensible advice is make sure you don't possess it.

However, possession of copper sulphate isn't an offence- even if you have a thousand tons of it.
If you are a business which stocks copper sulphate then you had better follow the rules for storage, labelling, risk assessment and so o.

But, as an individual (at least until recently) the regulations didn't apply to you.

The problem is that recent changes in regulations have removed your right to own some materials- notably "explosive precursors" which covers many oxidising agents etc.

So, as you say, legal home chemistry is pretty much dead.
If you are legally adult, you can set up a company and - as long as you jump through the legislative hoops- you can buy stuff.
But the laws that apply to companies are complex- explosives manufacture, for example, requires a license. Very few individuals will ever get granted that license.
So pyrotechnics are off the list of things you can do as a company- and you can't do it as an individual either.

Some of this is incorrect, before i go through it it might be an idea to explain WHY this is being done.

First lets look at why the license system wont ever be used.

the idea behind the license system to allow normal people to do what we do, it was decided by the EU, they honestly didnt intend to disrupt us home chemists.

But no one thought about the implications and actual ramifications of such a system. At the time this was all decided the main brunt of terror attacks were in the UK, the UK is just 1 member of 28 countries, contrary to what we think the world does NOT revolve around the UK!

So the license system was introduced as a way around the rules for normal people with good intentions. However it also impacts business and terror laws. On the business side, you cant justify stiffening up work laws while allowing amateurs to basically ignore health and safety.

Why should a local mechanic have to have a flammables safe for 10ltr solvents and yet a joe blogs dosnt? Now lets say the mechanic is a sole trader, all he would of had to do to circumvent the law, was to say the solvents were for his own use and heres my license.

So due to that and many many other reasons the license was unworkable from a business V personal perspective. then we get to the whole terror thing, currently in the UK we have over 4000 people who are actively watched, what this means is unclear. But it is clear that being watched is literally not far off what it says!

So how would you police the license system? So many attacks and foiled plots we rarely hear of, involve people not on any list!
If it was easy to tell terrorist from non terrorists then we wouldnt have any.

We know mainly of the high profile cases, people who have come back from training camps and such. But we forget the people like the right wing killer of MP Joe Cocks, not on any list and completely unknown to the law.

So allowing a license system would have made the situation even worse than it is. As i have alluded too already, EVERYONE who buys stuff like Acetone is reported, imagine the work and checks if anybody could buy Nitric acid and such?

Yes like you i know in reality the laws stop nothing, but the Government have to do something. A good example of this is acid attacks. Next year because of the number of high profile attacks, say good bye to Sulphuric acid and sodium/potassium Hydroxide, yes you can buy it and yes you can own it.

But in reality it will be alot like the license system, you wont be able to buy it or the pre cursors because chem suppliers rules are also being tightened.

The recent report on the Manchester Bomb put a final nail in the coffin, the report states the attack may have been stoppable, it concludes that had more man power been available then its likely the guy would of been flagged higher.

Think about that... A high profile attack happened because we cant handle the numbers we have already, so seriously do you expect the Gov to add to those numbers?

Phosgene is actually non starter, as a war gas it dosnt come into it, the number of laws you would break before you even got to chemical ones, would ensure you never saw daylight again.

Pyrotechnics are not off the agenda, you can own upto 100g of black powder for starters, you can do limited experiments under some circumstances and with good reason, without a license. Go non profit and do 'research' then actually small scale pyro is possible.

No if your in a terrace house it isnt, but for some of us it is an option, i dont have details yet. Bert gave me a contact, i am following this up at the moment, but according to the police there are provisions. This was one area the guy had zero idea about, hence my second visit thats due in Jan. I will update that then.

A couple of points where you could also be wrong is the business side. Again partly using our friend as an example...

Make a chemical (basically do any reaction), swap a chemical, sell a chemical or give a chemical to someone and your a business full stop.

This is hard to pin down legally but it is a serious trap, you need to read the law on commerce etc, or do as i did and ask a solicitor and the police help line. I spent weeks looking at it and got no where, the line where a hobby ends and business starts is where they say it is.

Forget the £6k ebay limit or tax rules, this is chemicals and i promise you if you have done any of the above then if they want too they can pin you as a business.

But it isnt about the technical side of what is or isnt a business, the point of what I am doing is more subtle. YES i registered as a business, i did this purely so I could ask questions and see what was possible, after legal advice it was decided the only way to find out for sure the rules, was to become a business.

This has given me access to chem suppliers and the police etc, i can speak to people legitimately, i am given information so i can remain legal. TBH i would of kept my mouth shut and head down like most of you.

But the recent event made me think, i wanted to know exactly where we stand, i also dont want to be in the generation that never saw a decent reaction!

So labels and complying to business law.....
I am not posting more links about our members case, go look at them yourselves, but notice the language of the news ones. Take a look at the comments section in the papers, chemophobia at its best, whats worse however, show the video that was posted to a non science friend.

Ask the friend to tell you the impression the video gives them, ask them to rate the level of trust they would have living next door. Ask them to be honest with you.

Did or have I done this? Yes I have, several times. look at it objectively yourselves with your non chemist head on, what impression do you get?

This is why I advocate following the rules of commerce with storage, fuck what it says about copper sulphate in your shed, mine is labeled and stored correctly, dosnt matter if it makes no difference in court, i cant be accused of being dangerous, i dont give a bad impression and above ALL, NONE of you will suffer if i was ever caught doing something i shouldnt. Nothing I do reflects badly on the home science community.

If i wasnt a business, i could stand in court and point out the bomb squad wasnt needed, because I am labelled correctly and my sds sheets were in order etc etc etc.

Can no one else see the point in doing this? Seriously does anyone else not realize what each of us does, reflects on the rest of us?
And despite what has been said, the people who visit you are experts in industry! They will look at you with industry specs on!

What they say and and report on decides how long your on holiday for. One last thing because this all sounds like a rant, and the last thing i want is it to sound like a rant!

Bloggers was arrested during the sunset period, or put another way, when he was arrested it was during the phase in time, this is one reason i think (i dont know) he was treated slightly better than we would be.

Anyone thinking he was unlucky, or it wont/cant happen to you is really deluded, and things are set to get worse.

Unionised knows what he is talking about, we have swapped U2U's on this topic. So i know he isnt making guesses, but he is looking at it from a different perspective to the one I am.

technically i cant fault much of what he says, but logically and for reasons I have given, I honestly think home chemist are going to have to make an effort. The only option we have is almost like a voluntary code, do as industry does. It isnt rocket science, we are talking safe procedures and paperwork mostly.

But the benefits could be large when the next member is in the firing line. Right or wrong, we should learn from Bloggers situation and not just blindly carry on.

The one thing I do think Unionised is wrong about, the rules and offenses that people will be charged with, from everything I have learnt so far, dosnt matter if it comes under company law or what regulation, the post I did shows this. While REACH is kind of the main one, the others have all adopted the same standards.
If your unlucky you will be charged with a terror offense, if your lucky they will use a more industry type offense or a mix.

Good luck arguing in court the offense isnt valid in your situation. Most of all keep one thing in mind... Arrogance and blindness can put you in a hole very quickly.

Not sure if people know this or not, but the ramifications for said member are worth thinking of, you can check all of this with a couple of simple phone calls.

if your in a similar situation you will get taken out the game, by this I mean a criminal behavior order. No more CHEMISTRY EVER!

Jail time has to be declared by law on job applications if asked for (its always asked for).

Spent sentences dont really exist, while an employer cant make you declare most convictions after ten years, they have a way around this, most job applications have the following or similar question.

Do you have any spent convictions?

You can legally say No, but if they find out you can be sacked for lying on a job application form!!

A jail conviction stops you getting Home or building insurance! dont believe me then just call any insurance company or look at any insurance form, it asks for convictions. I also have family experience of this.

A member of my extended family is married, one of them spent a short period in prison. % years later they still cant get building insurance for their house! Because all the forms ask if any resident holds a conviction, and like job apps the next question covers spent convictions.

So if they grant insurance its invalid, as soon as you claim and they dig.... bingo you lied on the form no insurance.

Mental impact, prison despite the daily mail version, is no picnic. Watch the news, read the stats on suicide and current conditions. Then look me in the eye and tell me it wouldnt massively affect you (ok one or two I would believe :D ).

So while I think Unionised is looking at it wrong, he has at least jumped into the debate. It might be a good idea to really discuss this as a community, it brings to mind a poem that ends... And when they came for me, there was no one left to save me.

DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 10-1-2018 at 03:44

I tried the label generator in cheminventory.com and honestly it's pretty clunky. I don't like it at all. Sure, it does fetch the relevant info from a CAS number, but it allows effectively no customization of the label and outputs to bitmap images (it says "jpeg" but actually they are PNG images with the wrong extension).

Also, to create a label, you have to (of course) first add the item to the database. Which is fine. But, you need to manually come up with a barcode number, then remember it, go through a few menus, and re-enter the barcode number in order to be able to print a label. Perhaps they intend you to use preprinted sequential barcode labels in addition, as with a USB barcode scanner it'd be easy enough to scan it twice. But then why would they put the barcode on the generated label as well? And why would I want to use two labels when I could use one?

Terrible HCI.
18thTimeLucky
Hazard to Self

Mood: 0 Kelvin and still won't crystallise from solution

[*] posted on 10-1-2018 at 08:33

This isnt in the rules, but the police who visited are insisting on it. They also want to know who is aware what is kept on the premises, so it might be useful to keep mouths shut to people about what you have. Looking into this at the moment, so far from what I can see, if you shoot your mouth off and get robbed, there is an offense you could get charged with!!

I have decided rather than buy a rotavap, i will use the money to go talk to a solicitor about some of this, i am looking for one who knows there way around the terror laws and chemistry stuff, not easy to find!

Ahh probably shouldn't have told you my current stock of chemicals! :P

I appreciate that a lot NEMO, spending money on safety and information for us rather than buying a nice peice of kit for yourself.

Like I have already said via U2U, I am behind you on this as although all of us have good intentions and we know how to handle chemicals much better than those who persecute us for them, we still can be potentially persecuted and finding out a way around this - or minimising the danger of it - is the only thing we can do other than quitting chemistry or suffering the consequences.

It will be a right pain in the ass, but if I have to spend time and money to label and store things properly, so be it; we don't really have a choice. I don't want others or the name of home chemistry to suffer for my ignorance and selfishness.

Yep, I have a chemistry blog!
18thtimelucky.wordpress.com

"Amateur chemistry does seem like being in a relationship with someone very beautiful and seductive but has expensive taste, farts a lot and doesn't clean up after themselves, but you love them anyway" - a dear friend

Go To Top