Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: GL45 caps/lids for media bottles - why so expensive & where to get?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-12-2017 at 22:54
GL45 caps/lids for media bottles - why so expensive & where to get?

I've done some searching and was astounded at the price for some of these. One cap was listed for $32 on ebay and it wasn't even PTFE or anything spoecial, normal blue PP. I think they were hoping some sucker would see it and think he was getting a case b/c he said that "these come in cases" but that he sells them individually (further down in the post..)

The prices can vary greatly from about $1.40 (for like 40-60 quantity) to $3-8 each for some more specialized ones - fancy colors - not special material, just differnet colors!

In many cases I've found other bottle caps to fit bottles they weren't meant for, and they often work fine for certain things like holding powders or liquids that don't need a perfect seal.

I have about 3 dozen bottles with no lids and i'm not spending $100+ for the lids alone!

Does anyone know if there are any products that come with a cap that is the same thread and size as the media bottles

here are the bottles I'm talking about
3452304.jpg - 57kB
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-12-2017 at 23:39

Lake Charles Manufacturing sells 100 mL media bottles with GL-45 caps for in lots of 30 for around $64. That is likely the cheapest you are going to find.

I have around 20 GL-45 media bottles, and I like them, but they aren't cheap, especially if you want the PTFE-lined caps (and who doesn't).

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-12-2017 at 23:58

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Lake Charles Manufacturing sells 100 mL media bottles with GL-45 caps for in lots of 30 for around $64. That is likely the cheapest you are going to find.

I have around 20 GL-45 media bottles, and I like them, but they aren't cheap, especially if you want the PTFE-lined caps (and who doesn't).

That is insane (the price!!) I wonder what kind of caps they are. I picked up a huge auction of 500ml and 1L order of brand name bottles, all new, but without caps, except about 10 of them.

I'd still like to find some alternative caps that would fit.

I also have some test tube like vials that is about the same size as a normal 2L pop bottle lid (they press on and seal, but not screw on, different threads). I need about 100 of these lids but can't seem to find them ATM but it hasn't been my #1 priority)
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 00:07

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  

That site has some good prices on equipment as well! Some flasks are as cheap as those from china!

cap.jpg - 117kB
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 10:42

I have some decent quality white media bottle caps, which are lined with some Teflon type material. They are better than the cheap blue caps for sure. I would be willing to sell what I have left (about 10 or so) for $2 each, if you want to try some. I have used them for years with no problem. A few others here have used them with great luck. I would also swap caps for smaller media bottles, if you wish, like 100, 250, or 500 ml sizes.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 11:00

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
I have some decent quality white media bottle caps, which are lined with some Teflon type material. They are better than the cheap blue caps for sure. I would be willing to sell what I have left (about 10 or so) for $2 each, if you want to try some. I have used them for years with no problem. A few others here have used them with great luck. I would also swap caps for smaller media bottles, if you wish, like 100, 250, or 500 ml sizes.
Can confirm that those white caps are great. I have several of them and have used them for HCl and bromine without issues. Come to think of it, if you still have some when I make my next order, I'd be interested. Making a mental note.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 11:09

Those white caps are definitely decent. The cheap blue caps probably won't hold up against nitric acid or DCM for very long, but Dr. Bob's white caps can.

Go To Top