Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Synthesis of thioacetone?
panajotovicn
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 14:27
Synthesis of thioacetone?

Hi,
I was just wondering if it would be possible to synthesise C3H6S (thioacetone) form acetone and hydrogen sulfide under catalyst - aluminium chloride?
Yes/no? And, any other way?
Thanks.

[Edited on 1-1-2018 by panajotovicn]
Chemi Pharma
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quarantined

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 17:49

However Wikipedia supports your theory, I didn't find any workup treating about reacting acetone, H2S and AlCl3.

There are a few methods to produce thioacetone that can be found on Google. An interesting way is reacting acetone with PSCl3 and Triethylamine using water as a solvent and microwave radiation:

Thioacetone.jpg - 19kB

But while I was researching about Alprazolam synthesis, I found a preparation described at a Patent that covers the substitution step of the oxigen molecule of a ketone for sulfur, using phosphorus pentasulfide in an easier workup way:

Sulfur replacement of Ketones with P4S10.jpg - 143kB

I hope it helps!

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 18:13

Don't do it man!
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2009/06/11/thi...
Quote:
“Recently we found ourselves with an odour problem beyond our worst expectations. During early experiments, a stopper jumped from a bottle of residues, and, although replaced at once, resulted in an immediate complaint of nausea and sickness from colleagues working in a building two hundred yards away. Two of our chemists who had done no more than investigate the cracking of minute amounts of trithioacetone found themselves the object of hostile stares in a restaurant and suffered the humiliation of having a waitress spray the area around them with a deodorant. The odours defied the expected effects of dilution since workers in the laboratory did not find the odours intolerable … and genuinely denied responsibility since they were working in closed systems. To convince them otherwise, they were dispersed with other observers around the laboratory, at distances up to a quarter of a mile, and one drop of either acetone gem-dithiol or the mother liquors from crude trithioacetone crystallisations were placed on a watch glass in a fume cupboard. The odour was detected downwind in seconds.”

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 23:21

As far as I know this molecule defeats all known containment procedures; there is no reported way of producing thioacetone without causing severe discomfort to everyone in a kilometer radius. So this is one of the worst syntheses you could attempt: it cannot succeed by any reasonable measure of "success".

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Radium212
Hazard to Self

Mood: Pyrophoric.

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 03:00

Yeah, I'd avoid thioacetone. Have you heard of the Freiburg incident, where an entire block of the city had to be evacuated due to the stench from some accidentally produced in a soap factory. If you're making some kind of stinkbomb maybe just use cadaverine or putrescine.
Chemi Pharma
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quarantined

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 03:48

I agree with the other members of this Forum that said it's a horrible stink chemical reagent.

But I think my duty here is just analyse the chemical reactions and the ways to do that with the better yields and in an OTC manner. Who knows if you're intending to make exactly thioacetone or another thioketone?

People here often ask for a synthesis or a product that's not always is the real target of their questions. I'm used to see that, here, in this Forum.

If you want to know how to substitute the oxigen molecule of a ketone by sulfur, the way is follow the directions I've given. But If you really just want to produce thioacetone to do a revenge against your enemies, like a skunk does, you're on the right way:D

PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 09:58

For a stink bomb, it'd be best to have a device that can make it in situ, like from two reactants that combine with each other.
Radium212
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 14:21

I suggest doing it microchemistry style in an ampoule. Seeing as it's a stink bomb you're not looking for something pure, just disgusting.
Radium212
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-1-2018 at 11:54

I suggest using cadaverine or putrescine for a stink bomb.
Tellurium
Hazard to Self

Mood: smelly

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 04:02

You can use Acetone with some HCl and bubble H2S gas into this mixture. This will produce the trimer: Trithioacetone.
I already done this and even the trimer stinks terrible when concentrated, got a tiny drop of the liquid onto my hand and even days later people were complaining about the smell.:D But please don't try to crack the Trithioacetone to thioacetone - that stuff is far far worse!:o
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 07:26

If you're looking for something stinky or strange smelling, I'd suggest going with Phenyl Isocyanide. Its toxicity is very low, and the synthesis is very simple. It requires the following:
An Erlenmeyer flask
Equal amounts of both Aniline and Chloroform
Ethanol + Water in a 80/20 or 90/10 ratio (the less water the better, but enough to enable the reaction)
and finally, a smaller amount of Sodium Hydroxide (the amount depends on how much Aniline and Chloroform you use)
Dissolve the Aniline in the EtOH/H2O solvent, and dissolve the Sodium Hydroxide in to this. Add the Chloroform all at once, and stir to dissolve. Put a thermometer in the flask, make a hole for the thermometer in some Saran wrap, and seal the top of the flask with it. Heat-seal the wrap with a hairdryer or Heat gun on low heat. Gently warm the mixture to between 20-26 C for half an hour. You could distill the PhNC off under vacuum if you wanted to, just make sure your ventilation system is top of the line, or you live way out there, like me. It's nauseatingly pungent, and in the words of some, described as "highly specific, almost overpowering', 'horrible', and 'extremely distressing" (this was the description of other, more volatile Isocyanides, but this goes for Phenyl as well).

James Nilep
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 08:34

I have attempted the H2S Acetone method before using a hydrochloric acid catalyst with a large excess of acetone on a relatively small scale, but it didn’t seem to yield any trithioacetone, just a smelly solution of H2S, although I did not attempt to crack the trimer, after all I didn’t want the whole neighborhood to potentially vomit simultaneously
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 12:34

Every time I've made H2S, it's been by accident. I'm not sure how one might make it deliberately. However, the accidental syntheses have typically involved dissolving metal reduction of sulfate, or the reaction of metal with sulfur and subsequent acid hydrolysis. It's kind of hard to tell how much is being produced though, just because it stinks a similar amount no matter how much or how little is produced.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2021 at 11:06

So apparently a solution of acetone and HCl that is bubbled with H2S will produce trithioacetone. This can then be concentrated, and distilled in vacuum through a furnace tube at 500-650C to produce thioacetone.

What a lovely process. Would not touch it with a 10 meter pole. Although, if I were ever even hypothetically be interested in studying it, I would obtain a miniature disposable equipment, walk kilometers deep to the woods and attempt it there - and discard everything afterwards. And the day after read the news about strange rotten hell smell complaints all over that area. :D

But, a hypothetical question: if someone were to be able to produce it in useful quantities, could it be stored in sealed glass ampoules or would it still diffuse through eventually? Ampouling stuff seems to be the only viable method to prevent very volatile or smelly stuff getting around.

Isopropylamine isn't bad btw. It has a very strong ammonia odor, much more organic though, with sort of rotty-sweetish tone like what isopropanol can smell like in some quantities, but it's no way uncontrollable and it dissipates rather quickly. I'd rather handle it much more than phenylacetaldehyde or phenylacetic acid, because those smells seemed to be hugely more persistent, I've still got some plastic canisters that smell like of it after over a year sitting outdoors. On the other hand, cleaning equipment after handling isopropylamine left zero traces of odor.

[Edited on 20-7-2021 by Fyndium]
Ormarion
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alkylating her DNA

[*] posted on 24-8-2021 at 10:14

From my side i made some of the trimer by bubbling H2S into a acetone and anhydrous AlCl3 mix, haven't worked on it again but i think it worked with the smell it made
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 24-8-2021 at 12:26

This is definitely something to be done during a heavy snow miles from the nearest human.
The animals may not appreciate it but at least you won't get arrested by them for possession of a chemical weapon.

Thioacetone is not technically a chemical weapon but try convincing a judge of that.
Ormarion
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alkylating her DNA

[*] posted on 24-8-2021 at 12:50

I'm lucky to leave km away from any humans so i can work peacefully in the lab :) also the trimer smell is strong but not super volatile, i could only smell it from one or 2m of the lab
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 24-8-2021 at 20:34

The trimer is harmless, until you heat it to decomposition to the monomer.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-8-2021 at 10:04

It looks to me that it could be made in situ by preparing the more stable trimer, and when needed, distilling it through pyrolysis tube to form the monomer. I'm not sure if it would decompose further unless vacuum is used?
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-8-2021 at 18:32

After reading this I don't know how anyone could possibly want to do this synthesis
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly Oxidizing into Oblivion

[*] posted on 25-8-2021 at 19:31

Well, I mean, if you lost your nose in some bizarre industrial accident, it probably would be a good way to enforce 6 mile social distancing :P

There wasn't a fire, we just had an uncontrolled rapid oxidation event at the power plant.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 26-8-2021 at 00:39

I'm very curious about this compound, especially about how bad it really is. But I'm definitely not going to try it, I'm just waiting for a news paper to report about it once someone else did.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-8-2021 at 07:57

If we compare thioacetone to tert-butyl isocyanide, what scale are we talking about?

It seems that the stuff has never been studied because of it's foul properties. Perhaps one could make it in very, very minute quantities in a more desolate location by using a gasoline lamp type device and place it over a heat source like simple campfire, where the trimer is first vaporized by the heat, and led into tube that bends and goes through the flame, heating the tube sufficiently to decompose the trimer. Even if majority is lost, even traces should be enough to prove the very nature of the stuff. Apparently free thioacetone is somewhat reactive so it will quickly cease into a more stable form, so any long term harm should not occur, presuming the location is remote enough.

[Edited on 26-8-2021 by Fyndium]
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2022 at 05:30

this thread is very old, but here I found the method and experiments how to crack trimer to monomer. Not easy (ketene lamp, 1 mm Hg vacuum argon flow)
https://sci-hub.ee/10.1016/0032-3861(67)90069-9

Attachment: phplX10sb (1002kB)
This file has been downloaded 382 times

Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2022 at 00:35

What’s funny about thioacetone is that it seems to stink more in a diluted form (so far away from the source). I suspect, like H₂S, some sort of overload of the olfactory nerves when the concentration is too high.

Good target for a microscale experiment :p

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top