Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Micro scale glassware, where can I buy?
LD5050
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 18:01
Micro scale glassware, where can I buy?

I'm looking for a micro scale distillation set that works with 3ml-20ml amounts. I think they use them at universities a lot. I looked on eBay but I only saw like one or two sets and they had some pieces missing and where kind of expensive.

Any help would be great thanks
Gurt
Harmless

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 19:42

Check out university surplus auctions. I have seen some on govdeals and similar sites, as well as at surplus shops near universities. If you are located in the U.S that is. Also Dr. Bob would be good to contact, he has helped me with finding oddball pieces on several occasions.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 19:49

If your in the Uk i have size 10 and 14 flasks of various shapes and capacities, all ground glass.
LD5050
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 06:25

I'm actually in the US if you're willing to ship here I might be interested. I'm not sure if your looking to trade for some harder to get chems. But if you are PM me.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 07:56

Quote: Originally posted by LD5050  
I'm actually in the US if you're willing to ship here I might be interested. I'm not sure if your looking to trade for some harder to get chems. But if you are PM me.

I think you will find shipping will kill it, Dr Bob is your best bet there. UK to US or US to UK is really bad for shipping and tax's, much worse than china.

But if you get stuck shout me.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 10:29

For the really small stuff... eBay is good sometimes. I think Dr. Bob still has some reaction vials.

I got my microscale equipment from an eBay Kontes kit, from Quark Glass (http://glass.quarkglass.com/category/microscale-apparatus), and from Dr. Bob. The stuff I got from Dr. Bob is the best quality. Ali Express has some cheap Synthware microscale glassware, and Synthware is good quality. Quark has good prices and is willing to sell to hobbyists. Their quality is decent but not premium. My 105 degree takeoff adapter that I got from them is more like 107 degrees, and they use HDPE for their screw caps, which melt at something like 180 C. Also, you will probably have to talk to them on the phone when you place your first order, and while they are willing to cater to hobbyists, they ask a lot of questions.

The 14/10 equipment I got from Dr. Bob is superior quality with high-temperature phenolic screw caps. I've only melted one of them, and the high temperatures I was using at the time also destroyed the stirvane. I'd like to have PTFE screw caps, but I haven't seen those for sale anywhere.

[Edited on 2-1-2018 by JJay]

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 10:44

Quark Glass is pretty crappy, honestly. The research lab I work in buys from them a lot since they're the cheapest source that is approved by the university. A lot of the flasks have bubbles, they've sent sep funnels without stopcocks and columns without fritted discs when they were supposed to have them, and the walls of their flasks are much thinner than other brands like Chemglass or Synthware.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 10:48

I do have some small stuff left, not a huge amount, but some things, especially V-bottom Weaton vials which are good for 1-5 ml scale. I have a lot of those and parts for them. Send me a message.

Go To Top