Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lead anode for chlorate synthesis?
lalalympo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-1-2018 at 15:23
Lead anode for chlorate synthesis?

I have seen many threads on the lead dioxide anode, and how it can be used for the electrolysis of chlorates. It probably doesn't work, but why wouldn't it work to just use a lead anode with a lead dioxide coating? You could form the dioxide layer by heating the lead anode and dipping it in sulfuric acid. I'm not looking for the production of perchlorate, wich as I understand, require anodes even more resistant.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 10:46

Lead is unsuitable for oxidising chlorides but a read of this should get you up and running?

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 12:05

Briefly, small imperfections in the lead dioxide coating allow the electrolyte to contact the lead metal substrate, which is then quickly corroded.

Titanium is better because the metal is not corroded, even if the electrolyte contacts it because it forms a passivating oxide layer.
Graphite is also a suitable substrate, because it is able to withstand the corrosive action of the electrolyte at least for some time.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer

Go To Top