Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PT memorization
ELRIC
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 16:14
PT memorization

Has anyone here memorized the Periodic table? I’ve considered buying index cards

and using those as a tool to memorize what I don’t know. Also, I was curious if

anybody on SM can randomly spout out the oxidation states for the elements in the

d block. I think it may be trivial, but then again, might be handy. To me, it appears

the oxidation state of the TM’s are kinda random, and don’t follow an order like

the s and p blocks.

Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 16:33

I memorized the table, excluding the trans uranics, in 5th grade.

I mostly forget it now though.

I was (am) a strange child...

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 16:41

I memorised it a while back but am rusty on the f block. I used to have a phone app that quizzed me on atomic numbers and masses which was useful. Also getting to know properties of elements and associating them with vertical groups has helped a lot. Cr Mo W for example. Theo Gray's book and periodic table of videos were both instrumental here. If I was to write it out from memory I would fill down groups rather than go in order of atomic number.

Memorising the pt is not a hard task and it is useful and rewarding compared with memorising pi for example. If you are passionate enough about the elements then the periodic table comes in almost as a byproduct.

ELRIC
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 17:01

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I memorised it a while back but am rusty on the f block. I used to have a phone app that quizzed me on atomic numbers and masses which was useful. Also getting to know properties of elements and associating them with vertical groups has helped a lot. Cr Mo W for example. Theo Gray's book and periodic table of videos were both instrumental here. If I was to write it out from memory I would fill down groups rather than go in order of atomic number.

Memorising the pt is not a hard task and it is useful and rewarding compared with memorising pi for example. If you are passionate enough about the elements then the periodic table comes in almost as a byproduct.

I kinda figured it would be extremely useful to memorize, but the d block, and the
Oxidation states seem random.
Well, I have the s and p block pretty much memorized, the problem for me is the d

block ( haven’t tried yet), and the oxidation states of each element there of.

Im on an iPhone, so sorry for the shity sentence structure

[Edited on 5-1-2018 by ELRIC]

PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 17:19

Oh sure, by the time you get to grad school in chem, you ought to know at least the Main Groups & Transition Metals. The F Blocks don't come into play very much. And the "new" elements (Bk or so upwards) don't really have much chemistry at all, it's more physics by then!

[Edited on 1/5/18 by PirateDocBrown]
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 17:40

I've memorized from hydrogen to yttrium, but the d and f block transition metals are a mess IMO.

The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next.
ELRIC
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 18:07

Quote: Originally posted by ninhydric1  
I've memorized from hydrogen to yttrium, but the d and f block transition metals are a mess IMO.

I agree. There seems to be no pattern to the oxidation sates, like there is in the s&p blocks.

That’s why I’ve asked if anyone has memorized the oxidation states of the TM’s

I’m not convinced that it’s nesesary

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 21:59

Well, technically, many elements have numerous oxidation states. What is useful to have are the most stable. But where is the cut-off? Are you going to include Cr(IV) or Fe(VI)?
I think with oxidation states you learn them as you get familiar with the elements -- in much the same way as you learn the charges on anions. It really does not matter much if I don't remember the oxidation states of rhenium -- until I start working with it. And then it is a trivial thing.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 06:02

I've had the periodic table memorized for a few years now, but not intentionally. It just happened at some point. Sometimes I get a lanthanide or two out of order, but I can essentially draw the table from memory.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top