Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Idea to prevent spam
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 22:22
Idea to prevent spam

So this idea has been jumping around in my head for a while now, and I decided to act on it.
I think we all acknowledge that there is a rather annoying spam problem - exhibit A, what I found as soon as I logged on this aft, on the top of the recent posts section:

idea.png - 76kB

One thing that I have noticed is that most of the accounts dedicated to posting this crap are made the same day as the troll posting. Could it then be possible to enlist a 24 hour "mute" on new accounts from posting, as a way to avoid this? If it is a legitimate account, then there could be a "U2U XXX for access before the mute time", much like the whimsy or references forum.

Is this completely pointless/technically impossible/more work to implement than it would save/other?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 22:35

I think we want to encourage people arriving just to ask a question. Some of them stay.
If they have to wait 24 hours they will just go to yahoo answers.

The spam problem really isn't that big. It has been a lot worse in the past.
A bigger problem right now is trolls with multiple accounts getting their jollies by asking inane questions of increasing ridiculousness.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 08:18

Agreed. The spam problem really isn't that much of a problem anymore. It's entirely manageable now, and those of you who have joined in the last two years haven't experienced the horror that was the spam problem before Polverone introduced his algorithm.

Trolls on the other hand will always be annoying, but there's nothing really to do about that but slowly pick them off as they appear.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 04:06

Sometimes I feel its not trolls but really stupid people is that bad who think that.
That just have no clue on many things

Go To Top