Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Simple digital thermometer...
Chemist514
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2007 at 23:03
Simple digital thermometer...

This was very easy but im happy with it so far and maybe somebody has not seen the item and can use the concept.

Canadian tire sells a really cheap multimeter with a temp sensor addon, the meter was 59$ and the thermocouples are like 9$, They dont actually have the correct plug.. i pointed that out to the sales guy and laughed at him when he tried to argue they did, they have some thermocouple standard connector i have seen in labs at work on them but the multimeter has banana jacks, it did not matter as i was going to need a couple of them anyway and can certainly use a soldering gun. (unless i bought it from them in which case it would have an N connector for power... lol, im joking.)
I then cut a 10" glass tube that fit the wire and probe snug,
closed one end with a torch and polished the other, slid the probe down and a cheap temp sensor was had. I have 2 more so i can install them perm in my hotplate/stirrer (not finished yet) and my melting point (almost finished.) and just swap plugs.

Sorry to waste so much time, all the best people.
btw: dont work hot glass drunk... i am unscathed but it is slowly sinking it that this could have gone badly... lol

Go To Top