Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heat and Cold of dissolution....
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 19:18
Heat and Cold of dissolution....

Forgive me, I know I should know; but yet it seems that this is a question that baffled even my senior lab members. Disgraceful.

Mix ethanol in water, and it becomes hot. I reasoned, it is because water forms a hydration cage around the CH3 moiety, thus leading to more ordered water, loss of kinetic energy, decrease of entropy (more ordered system) and release of heat. One lab member got really riled about the term 'kinetic energy', for some odd reason exclusively preferring the term 'entropy'. Talking about delta H /S and some such.

Anyway, I do think that the hydration model is correct. Irrespective of any reaction enthalpies delta H.

But then, the next question is, why do some solutions become cold?
I.e. dissolve ammonium nitrate, well known from cold packs, in water, and it becomes very very cold.

Why?

Surely there are hydration cages forming around the NH4+ and the NO3-? This should really release energy due to restriction of kinetic movement, making the solution warm once again. Except that it doesn't.

The term lattice energy was thrown in, by my very grumpy boss. I looked it up, according to wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lattice_energy ,
it refers to the energy to seperate the ions in their *gaseous* states. So nothing to do with solubilisation. Unless its definition is broader than it seems.

So dissolution of AN in H2O becomes cold... why? Where does it require energy to dissolve it? To break apart ionic bonds, similar to the lattice energy concept? Why does that not hold for many other salts, such as CaCl2, where the ionic bond is also very strong, and where salt dissolution leads to *heat release*?

Please clarify, I intend to set some of the boys right on this issue in the lab. Throw-away comments such as lattice energy just don't do, I am curious about the *physical process* that is behind this phenomenon!

Many thanks :)

[Edited on 16-2-2007 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 19:54

Chemoleo,

The question is what sort of interaction is occuring. I would go into detail, but I had a lab full of students today and I am tired:).

As much as I hate it, Wiki has a good starter on the subject here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthalpy_change_of_solution

Now remember, thermodynamically, (after much derivation) DG (Gibbs free energy) = DH (enthalpic change) - TDS(temperature, K and entropic change). Thus the overall free energy of your system is effected by both factors.

Ack! And to me, lattice energy involves the energy required to make an ion from a neutral atom. If the molecule is already an ion pair, the energy whould be put in (or taken out) in order to separate the charges via solvent cage. The difficulty in doing this has a large effect on whether or not the process is endo or exo thermic.

I'll cough up some more when I've had some rest!

Cheers,

O3

[Edited on 16-2-2007 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 19:58

Here is some information from "Chemical Process Principle's", part I, p.318, by Hougen et al, 1962:

"Thus, energy is absorbed in overcoming the attractive forces between the particles of the condensed state."

eg, ammonium nitrate, NaCl?

and:

"... the heat of solution of a substance that forms a solvate or hydrate has generally a large negative value, indicating the evolution of heat when the unhydrated substance is dissolved."

eg ethanol, CaCl2, and to a much greater extent H2SO4??

I don't know if this is getting down to the exact mechanics that you are looking for but it is a start.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Ozone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 20:05

Damnit! I should be going to bed, but this is a good (both in interest and pedagogy) thread.

H2SO4 has the additional bonus of dehydrating things which adds to the enthalpy of mixing/solvation the energy of dehydration liberated by the dehydratee. Entropy, of course, goes down on solvation (multiple molecules become one, more-or-less) which minimizes its negative contribution leading to generally exothermic processes.

Sorry, I was teaching calorimetry today:D,

O3

Multipie, Ha!

Another smack on the noggin is that less CaOH2 dissolves in hot water and more in cold!

--Albert Einstein
Levi
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 20:08

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozone
Entropy, of course, goes down on solvation

That's nice. Suppose solvation reciprocates or does it just roll over and fall asleep after being "dehydrated"?

Chemcrime does not entail death. Chemcrime is death.
Ozone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 20:16

Entropy never sleeps!

Given as much time as it needs, the entropy of a system will always increase.

Nice catch!

And... It does not always do this (I was remarking on that general example). I did forget to mention though, as the temperature goes up, so does the entropy, especially in systems where there is massive exothermia (such as hydration of H2SO4) which leads to a l-->g phase transition (boiling). This transition lowers total energy by removing heat (DHvap) whilst increasing entropy (l-g).

I was trying to break it into smaller pieces, viz. single interactions before describing the energy balence of the whole system. There is a reason why this topic is killer and takes a while to get (I'm an organic chemist so this was a battle).

Oh yes, and in this particular process, there is lattice energy involved as water is being ionized.

Best,

O3

A nice, easily digestible account of free energy and entropy is given here:

http://www.2ndlaw.com/gibbs.html

--Albert Einstein
Aurum
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-2-2007 at 05:39

Is there any way to work out thermal change when a concentrated solution is diluted?

Edit, found the values for LiCl and LiBr.

[Edited on 18-2-2007 by Aurum]
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 18-2-2007 at 10:42

It takes energy to separate, e.g., the NH4+ and NO3- ions from each other in the lattice in the solid. Some energy comes back from the solvation of the ions by H2O, but not as much. (Ions w/ smaller charge have generally lower solvation enthalpies.)

The reason NH4NO3 dissolves at all, then, is that the entropy increase is large enough to overcome this, i.e., DG = DH - T*DS is negative, despite DH being positive, because DS is positive (and large enough, considering the appropriate T).
Ozone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-2-2007 at 12:00

Excelllent! That defines what would be considered an enthalpic or entropically driven system!

Also note that in one case I was describing lattice energy and that pantone159 is decribing the 3-D space and molecular order in the solid state (crystal lattice); It turns out that these are really the same, by definition.

Yeaah,

O3

[Edited on 18-2-2007 by Ozone]

--Albert Einstein
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 18-2-2007 at 12:48

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozone
Ack! And to me, lattice energy involves the energy required to make an ion from a neutral atom.

Whoa whoa whoa! That's ionization energy (A = A+ + e-) or electron affinity (A + e- = A-).

With H2SO4, isn't there also something about forming H3O+?

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Ozone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-2-2007 at 13:06

Quite correct!

I should have worded that differently! Ionization energy is the amount of energy needed to ionize a neutral atom. Lattice energy refers to the amount of energy required to separate an ionic compound into its substituent ions. I think that the ionization energy is usually rolled into the DH(formation) when written as 2Na + Cl2--> 2NaCl, but not when written as Na+ + Cl- -->NaCl?

Specifically as defined, the lattice energy is the release of heat as two ions(g) settle down into a crystalline lattice (s), or the reverse. So, I suppose, that by definition, in liquid phase, we would be looking at the enthalpy related to the solvation (separation) of the solvating ion pair (or group).

Each individual step involves and individual energy balence. For example, it takes about 2.5 pages of calculus (stat. mech. Yuck) to approximate the equilibrium constant for the "simple" lattice ionization of NaCl-->Na+ + Cl-. Lattice energy involves the "bond-strength" between non-covalently bonded atoms, viz. Ionic bonds. This energy is quite large, say -780 kJ/mol (NaCl) and can be *very* large, viz. -3791 kJ/mol for MgO.

Yup, with H2SO4, there are two different Solvation/dissociation energy calculations required to deal with protons 1 & 2 making H30+ (there are two separations and two different dissociation constants means there are two different sets of partition coefficients).

PChem in a nutshell is sure to lead to the edit button! But, since we started broadly and are slowly tearing it apart, we may eventually have a decent resource assembled here. I am appreciating the opportunity to refresh my memory in the subject (being more interested in it now then I was when I was taking the courses).

Onward,

O3

Check out Born-Haber cycles

[Edited on 18-2-2007 by Ozone]

--Albert Einstein

Go To Top