Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Problems with board losing posts upon "Post New Topic" or "Reply" - getting bad!!
RogueRose
International Hazard

mad.gif posted on 11-1-2018 at 14:51
Problems with board losing posts upon "Post New Topic" or "Reply" - getting bad!!

For those who have lost a beautifully written post, painstakenly edited and thought out, because you click the submit/post or even the preview button, you know how pissed this can make you. I'm here to tell you that you are not alone as this has happened to me on maybe 10 posts, all of which were original posts of exceptional content and great proof-reading and insight. I was usually so frustrated that I never re-posted anything to the same caliber if posted a similar thread at all.

I'm thinking that I am going to have to start using a dedicated program like "notepad" (Notepad++ is GREAT for Windows machines and there are others that are great little text editors). Well, type up your thread in this application and then copy it, paste it into the browser box for the thread body, do spell check, preview it and submit. If it goes bad, then you have everything in the "notepad" program. (I would save the file in notepad as well, under their own folder like c:\User\MyDocs\SM\Posts\"Date- Forum posted in - Topic - thread title.txt" This way, you can keep all your posts in chronological order and find them easily should you ever need to (and you can see if your posts are being deleted after a little while for some reason).

I'd also use this for replying for anything longer than a couple sentences. I'd copy the URL address at the top, paste that at the top of a new file, then type your reply and save it c:\User\MyDocs\SM\Replies\"Date- TID - name of Title.txt" then save what you type, then paste your content into the forum and submit it.

This is also good record if anything mysteriously changes to your posting (it has happened from time to time somehow)..
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 22:32

using a notepad or word processing program, If nothing else, this might ensure I actually expend the right amount of effort forming coherent thought for others. A proper setting for writing something usually does encourage more articulate responses. Yet here I am watching cartoons with an offspring and typing on my phone.

So of course I know the misery of actually putting a good long time at the laptop writing something to have voidlings abduct the data mid transmission... Mini fit, followed by disgust and resentment.

There use to be an add on to the browser downthemall but it is no longer supported. It was good for that and keeping a download going if there are interruptions.

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 12:27

This keeps happening (about 33-50% of the time for new posts and about 25-40% of time on replies). I type everything up and "poof" it's gone.

Here is the message:
"The system has failed to process your request. If you're an administrator, please set the DEBUG flag to true in config.php."
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 12:48

For a post that contain useful information, such as a writeup of an experiment, i learned to do it in an editor (word, notepad, gedit etc) before posting.

Not only does it prevent the loss of the information (which would be good to store locally in any event) it allows time to edit/add to the text to make it more sensible and pertinent.

For the random shit i post, well, it doesn't matter if it gets lost.

j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 14:57

Not really a complete solution but get into the habit of copyinv l gext to the clipboard before hitting submit. It only takes a couple of seconds but if the post goes west you can get it back.

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 21:55

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
For a post that contain useful information, such as a writeup of an experiment, i learned to do it in an editor (word, notepad, gedit etc) before posting.

Not only does it prevent the loss of the information (which would be good to store locally in any event) it allows time to edit/add to the text to make it more sensible and pertinent.

For the random shit i post, well, it doesn't matter if it gets lost.

I agree with you, but there was a short post I wanted to make this morning of something really fascinating I had found when I woke up. It was about 4 paragraphs and in my haste, didn't do it in text editor so it was lost AGAIN!

I'd like to know what is causing it and if it is happening to other accounts or just some accounts?
j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 21:59

Not happening to me but I think it is happening to some people. Maybe switch browsers or use a phone to see if it is dependent on your system.

Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 10:26

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Not really a complete solution but get into the habit of copyinv l gext to the clipboard before hitting submit. It only takes a couple of seconds but if the post goes west you can get it back.

I do that. Lost a lot of good posts. A simple:
ctrl+a, ctrl+c
Works well if it gets lost, and all I have to do is:
ctrl+v

Not a perfect fix, but I do it every time I make a post.

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop

Go To Top