Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does anyone have temporary space to store chemicals, between Hartford, CT and New York City?
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 21:15
Does anyone have temporary space to store chemicals, between Hartford, CT and New York City?

I estimate that I'll need somewhere to put my chemicals for a period of time that's between one month and one year. There are too many unknowns to be sure. However, anyone storing my chemicals would be allowed to use them if they asked me. :)

I just want to make sure that wherever they go, they're stored properly. There shouldn't be any heavy metals like Hg or Pb, and the dangerous stuff mostly would consist of nitric acid, H2O2, H2SO4, etc. Because right now, I can't access them myself, and I have good reason to believe that they're not being stored properly.

Oh yeah, I'd need some way of transporting all this stuff from Meriden, CT. It's not that much though, and could easily fit in a car. I'm really low on money for the time being, since I've had to devote a lot of time to legal claims. But those claims seem very positive, and would make me rich if they paid out, so I think it's worth it.

Ideally, I'd be able to access my stuff occasionally, but that's not really necessary.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Electra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 22:58

I know this isn't free, but have you considered storage units? Either outdoor or climate controlled depending on the volatility of your chemicals. Anytime I've used storage facilities over the years, I've always kept them in boxes, securely sealed, and making sure no leakages. In the 5+ years I've done this on and off, I've never had any issues. Not sure on the cost of self-storage in NYC, but I'm sure its not too unreasonable.

Just out of curiosity, how many chemicals/boxes/storage volume are you talking about?
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 23:17

I'd estimate it would fit into 3-4 banana boxes. Just the chemicals would probably fit into two. The trouble is that my income is zero, until one of these court cases starts paying off. I'd have to rent a storage unit, then rent a van or something to transport the stuff. I can't afford either right now. The only money I can offer anyone would have to be delayed until either a court case pays off, or until I finish doing the legal footwork at least enough that i can find full-time employment.

My family is paying for necessities, but they don't consider my chemistry stuff to be necessities, apparently.

The thing is, this weekend would be an ideal time to move it, because the weather isn't that bad. And if these cases drag out until summer, I'm pretty sure where they are is going to get hot enough to have issues. There's potassium cyanide, LiAlH4, NaBH4, and plenty of other stuff you'd have to be careful with. I listed a lot of it here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=78223

edit: Oh sorry, just realized I forgot to add that most of that stuff I would take with me, and it's just my chemistry stuff that would need to be stored. Like, perhaps 3/4 of what's in storage has little or nothing to do with chemistry, but I would like to get that while I have the opportunity. The only reason I haven't yet is because I don't have access to a vehicle.

[Edited on 1/12/18 by Melgar]

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!

Go To Top