Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: eBay 14/20 glassware priced to sell (US)
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 03:21
eBay 14/20 glassware priced to sell (US)

http://stores.ebay.com/papamed4?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Seems every time that I find glassware on eBay that's priced incredibly low, someone ends up being grateful, so here's another one.

Wish I could afford it.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 03:54

Wish you ould afford it?
I clicked on a 99c flask and it was $46.20 shipping to my place.

LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 04:12

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Wish you ould afford it?
I clicked on a 99c flask and it was $46.20 shipping to my place.

$48.50 shipping for me, beat that. Was really excited to get some new pear flasks since mine all have cracks or holes in them.

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
LD5050
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 07:31

I'm unfamiliar with the bidding process on ebay, surely these pieces of glasswear can't be selling for, in the area, of 1 dollar ?
Plunkett
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 07:36

Quote: Originally posted by LD5050  
I'm unfamiliar with the bidding process on ebay, surely these pieces of glasswear can't be selling for, in the area, of 1 dollar ?

Most of the time the price goes up dramatically within the last hour of bidding. However, sometimes, especially for odder items like these that people are not normally looking for, you can get some really good deals if you happen to be the only bidder.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 13:30

Well I threw out a few bids to see where they lay. Not a fan of paying attention and driving my price up. Like a possible gift with a price tag. If you win at a comfortable price, so be it, if it goes over, well then next time. I will watch to see if any are mere cents away at the end, but resist up-bidding more than a buck or so.

The key to long term eBay prosperity = impulse control!!!. Don't chase it unless you NEED it. I gambled in a different way, If I win everything at said price... Gonna be a little light on cash for the week, but not starving. Never leave your self short unless you fancy selling stuff to cover bills. What I'd really like is for some of those bids fall to others leaving me some pieces I wanted at a decent price and some for another day, with just a hint of mystery in the mix. And if they all get away, it was just wasn't my income bracket to begin with 'eh. But I got to pretend for a minute

Thanks for the heads up, I been wanting one of these sets for a few years.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 13:36

Dibs on the 25 ml 14/10 screw top flask :D

I have a credit card, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 13:41

One awesome, unforeseen benefit of 14/20 sets is that if you drop a piece on the floor from about desk height, it usually doesn't break. At least for wood floors and tile floors. Yay, cube-square law!

Smaller messes and slower reagent consumption are both nice too.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 13:48

I rarely drop anything these days, but when I first started getting back into chemistry I dropped my pricechopper2011 24/29 1L flask on concrete a few times with no problems... I still manage to break beakers like they are made of glass....

SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 15:18

Papamed runs sales with that format all the time. (maybe 6-8 a year)

Almost all 14/20, and .99 cent reserve and $4.00 shipping on the small items and combined generously if you win multiple bids.

I am amazed it has escaped notice here.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 15:25

Interesting mix of stuff. I likely have about 60-80% of the same stuff, but cannot list it that fast. It is a lot of work to sort the inventory, get the photos, list the things, and ship that many small packages. But if you see anything that you like, and don't win it there, let me know what you want, and I might have it, and can try to match his final prices. Some things I already sell for less, but his shipping is reasonable, so not a bad place to look. Some of the complex distillation heads he has are worth $100 or more, so worth a try if you can use them. Thanks for noting the sale.

For the people in the UK, if you are looking for 14/20, I can ship to the UK, and if you get mostly smaller things, the cost is about $48 for a 3-4 pound box, so you could likely get an entire 14/20 kit shipped for that, or if you only need a few things, it can cost as little as $14 for 8 ounces, or $24 for up to 2 pounds, $34 for up to 3 pounds. Just remember that a small box starts at about 8 oz, so best total price is at 3 or 4 pounds. Over 4 pounds, only priority mail works, which is even worse per pound, until you get to 12 pounds or more, but these almost always get inspected and some VAT added. So I try to stick with 3-4 pound packages, which have done pretty well.

[Edited on 14-1-2018 by Dr.Bob]
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 15-1-2018 at 18:18

Of all the stuff I was bidding on, over 140$ US, only left on the hook for the stir bearing @ 10$ n change with s/h. Though I didn't end up regretting purchase price or the buy... It was pretty impractical all by its lonesome as my only 14/20 piece,.. backfire lol. The fun of eBay, being off the hook for that left me open to bid on something else, Cool, but it was sold while I was at work. Double lol

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-1-2018 at 18:48

What are you all talking about? I see nothing science related here. Can someone post a link again? I checked out all items this guy is selling and none of it is 14/20 related to say the least!

Here is a screen shot of the items listed on that page...

ebay.jpg - 55kB
Plunkett
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-1-2018 at 19:14

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  
What are you all talking about? I see nothing science related here. Can someone post a link again? I checked out all items this guy is selling and none of it is 14/20 related to say the least!

All of the glassware auctions were set to end in 24 hours. They have ended by now.

[Edited on 16-1-2018 by Plunkett]

Go To Top