Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Plating various metals out of a waste solution
kernels
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-1-2018 at 01:55
Plating various metals out of a waste solution

Hi there, brand new member here, engineering background and only a little bit of experience with chemistry.

I have two questions that I hoped you guys and gals may be able to help with:

1 - What is the difference between electrowinning and electrolysis, it appears that with both you apply a voltage between two electrodes in a solution and split molecules with oxidation and reduction happening at the electrodes.

2 - What determines the order that various metals will plate out of a solution in ? Assuming the solution contained Cu, Sn and Fe chlorides together with HCl

Greatly appreciate any information, or even just a pointer at where to look to find the answer.

Thank you
brubei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-1-2018 at 02:21

Yes it the same, the reactions with higher potential difference will happen first.
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2018 at 03:26

1, Electrowinning uses electrolysis to separate metals or purify them.
So electrotwinning is electrolysis but not all electrolysis is electrotwinning.

2, The electrochemical series relative to the voltage between the electrodes prinicpaly determines which metals if any may be deposited.
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
18-1-2018 at 06:26
kernels
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-1-2018 at 16:34

Thank you guys for the insights
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 18-1-2018 at 20:08

To clarify, electrowinning refers to the large-scale recovery of a bulk deposit of a metal from a solution, usually as a means of production.

Electrolysis, on the other hand, is any process that uses electrons and an electrical current to split a compound into two or more new ones.

Cu, Sn and Fe, if I recall correctly, are all pretty far apart on the electrochemical series, so you shouldn't have much trouble with them so long as you keep your voltage well-controlled during each experiment.

One thing I noticed during my work with selective electrodeposition is that solutions with low pH have an unfortunate habit of dissolving your electrodeposited metal right back off the electrode until the acid is depleted. In HCl's case, I would recommend heating somewhere outside to drive off HCl fumes and push the pH back towards something that won't eat your deposit alive.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 19-1-2018 at 00:31

I got an interesting question if aluminum is placed in a copper nitrate, lead nitrate and silver nitrate what will happen all metals displaced at once or just the least reactive such that silver is displaced out then lead followed by coper

Go To Top