Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mortar and pestle, and others
egloskerry
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-2-2007 at 15:15
Mortar and pestle, and others

What large stores sell basic supplies like this? And I don't mean online, I don't feel like paying shipping. Places like Target, Walmart, Albertsons, Michaels, etc. Shipping eats up a lot of money.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 19-2-2007 at 15:28

IKEA has good ones.

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2007 at 15:33

Also try "import" stores, Asian or Indian dry goods stores, spice shops, and health product stores - try independent ones that focus on 'natural'. Most larger cities have some sort of science store.
egloskerry
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-2-2007 at 11:28

Very good idea. There's an indian foods store right down the street.
paparev
Harmless

Mood: struggling

[*] posted on 27-2-2007 at 01:35

Chinese grocery/herbalist/pharmacies are great! I've even seen round-bottom flasks there (for use in bloodletting) that come in various sizes and medicinal plant products that could easily furnish some exotic precursors. Sometimes you run acorss regular pharmaceutical meds that you'd otherwise need a prescription for or which are not normally sold in the US.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 27-2-2007 at 23:38
mortar and pestle problem

You can get sets at the above places but I think you might consider buying a good pair from a sci supplier. Why? Because the pestle, or recepticle part, is often too big for the handle or mortar. You can buy them separately from a sci supplier. Mine is a size "8" and size "14" combination .. very comfotable to use .. and made by Coors.
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 28-2-2007 at 21:25

Look around for home school suppliers. They will be able to provide you with many basic science supplies. I got a bunch of stuff from a Nasco outlet. Also if you are anywhere near Milwaukee, WI or New Jersey I believe, I suggest checking out an American Science and Surplus outlet. It's like heaven for us amateur scientist. Just random lab supplies for unbelieveably low prices. I almost got a 200mm buchner funnel for $15. Yes, that is a huge buchner.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 28-2-2007 at 21:58

I should mention I have 2 mortar and pestles. One cost 20$ from a scientific suppier, 100mm. The other from Ikea, more than twice the size, cost 4$.

LoKi
Harmless

Mood: manic

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 00:15

Some pharmacies carry them. If yours doesn't, you could ask your pharmacist and he could order one for you if he is nice. I was talking about buying a mortar and pestle and a pharmacist overheard me. He offered to order me one and I didn't even have to ask :)

\"They who can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
-- Benjamin Franklin
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 3-3-2007 at 10:11

Davester,

How do the two compare? I see 'em at the health food store, cooking stores, etc., but the don't seem as nice as my coors. I used my coors for years in the kitchen for crushing garlic and spices and it took minimal effort to get it completely clean for lab purposes.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 3-3-2007 at 17:56

Absolutly no differences ever noted. Other than the IKEA one somehow getting a permanent black fingerprint on it from charcoal...it all cleaned fine after grinding it except one perfect impression of my fingerprint in charcoal. Its rather odd. Only happened once.

BeanyBoy
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-3-2007 at 17:15
Tar-zhay (Target) Should Have Them

I bought a set of 3 different sizes from Amazon, but it was shipped from Target, so you may find them in a store. Porcelain, made in China, numbers on a sticker 1140/60, 1 Set. Brown cardboard box, black print, images of mortars & pestles. Twelve bucks.

Good luck.

Go To Top