Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: looking for a stopcock swap?...?..
Phosgenetimemachine
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2018 at 02:47
looking for a stopcock swap?...?..

OK...A while back i suddenly came to need a decent sized sep funnel,after the last one suffered the usual fate....Anyhow although a 2000 was ideal my 60ml budget was less than...long story short i came across a very reasonable deal on ten 250 ml 6402 pyrex,so i purchased them knowing I would be separating in less volume more times...no big deal...well about then i realized there were no stopcocks....damn...What I DO have are a number of brand new,unused ptfe 4MM,and probly twice that many 2MM,what i need are one or more NUMBER 4 stopcocks,i will gladly swap two for one,hell if you have use I will probable sweeten it because at the moment i have no use for either 2 or 4 ml stopcocks,oh i also have a couple used glass stopcocks, i will take either ptfe or glass and really i"ll give those i have to whoever needs 'em

[Edited on 26-1-2018 by Phosgenetimemachine]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-1-2018 at 05:34

Are these sep funnels designed for glass or PTFE stopcocks originally? If they are for PTFE stopcocks, the stopcock receiver will be smooth, clear and transparent glass. If they are designed for glass stopcocks, which are commonly labelled #2 or #4, then the joint will be translucent and etched looking, as it was ground, not molded. These are not interchangable, so if you have the ground glass type, you cannot use PTFE stopcocks, unless you can find one fo the few ones that was made by Kontes years ago, but they did not work well, as the coefficient of expansion of the two materials is different, and the glass ones are not designed to work with PTFE's properties.

PTFE type stopcock ground glass type stopcock
PTFE stopcock sep funnel.jpg - 96kB glass stopcock sep funnel.jpg - 289kB
Phosgenetimemachine
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-1-2018 at 19:58

Thank you for the enlightenment,it is much appreciated.Im afraid that they are the ground seat,and I did not in fact get such a bargain.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-1-2018 at 14:45

Glass stopcocks are not perfect, but they work fine, I would just use them with the glass stopcocks and a little grease, and they will work. They do last a long time, whereas PTFE stopcocks can get scored, warped, or damaged easily. I would just use them until you can save up to afford to get the 2L one you want. Then you can save them for smaller reactions, maybe sell a few on Ebay one at a time, just make it clear that they are glass stopcock ones. You also might be able to sell a few here.

Go To Top