Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Organic Chemistry Poster: Alkenes and their Reactions
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 27-1-2018 at 15:49
Organic Chemistry Poster: Alkenes and their Reactions

I set out to make this poster as a method of personal review (more of a challenge that flash cards) and was wondering if their were any mistakes. All the illustrations were made by myself using Avogadro and Chemsketch. Do you think there is a hope of selling it? I know a place that will print a full size poster, 48" by 36", for only a few dollars! How much would it be worth and would you like something like this for your lab or room?

The Various Reactions of Alkenes and Alkynes_ Additions, Reduction, Oxidation, and Rearrangement .jpg - 858kB

[Edited on 27-1-2018 by VSEPR_VOID]

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 27-1-2018 at 18:06

Very text rich for a poster.
The only errkr that jumped out for me is osmium trioxide instead of osmium tetroxide. But I only skimmed about 20%.
Numerous technical terms withoit definition or explanation. Regioselective etc. Thjs limits usefulness to anyone not already familiar with the material.
Nice clean look. Better than a lot of posters produced.
Take a look at compoundchem.com. Follow Andy's projects over the past several years a d see what is needed to make it pay. There is an online presence, relationship with both educational and rezearch institutions, a book as well as poster sales. This is on top of a full time job. I think he has done a TED talk too and is probably just now coveri g expenses.

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-1-2018 at 18:23

I dont know about the science bit, but you have a number of small guttering and layout problems. An example is below, I dont know the software your using, so I dont know how much control you get on layout. A decent DTP program would sort it out.
An example below, not the worst example but shows you what I mean. Dont get me wrong its a great poster, but if your selling I assume you want niggles sorting.

guttering.png - 1.1MB

[Edited on 28-1-2018 by NEMO-Chemistry]

another.png - 474kB
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 27-1-2018 at 19:35

If your goal is to review introductory orgchem, you've succeeded. But if your goal is to document practically useful reactions of alkenes, you've made some strange choices about what to include. For example, epoxidation with peroxy acids is much more widespread than OsO4 oxidation due to the cost and toxicity of the latter. OsO4 is commonly taught in classes though because it helps teach students to recognize steps in synthesis problems (alkene -> glycol is a common transformation). Thiourea is strongly preferable to dimethyl sulfide in reductive ozonolysis because of the toxicity of the latter.

Also, the acid-catalyzed hydration of alkenes is not regioselective in any reasonable sense of the word (any hydrolysis-sensitive moiety will be hydrolysed). Neither is the addition of hydrohalic acids, chlorine or hypochlorite, which are very reactive chemicals (Chlorine will oxidize benzaldehyde to benzoyl chloride, for example). Ozone and borane also react with many other substrates. In fact the only reaction on the poster which I would describe as regioselective is oxidation with OsO4, which is one of the few reactions not labeled regioselective. Hydrogenation, treatment with borohydrides, boranes, etc will affect aldehyde and halide groups along with alkenes.

[Edited on 28-1-2018 by clearly_not_atara]

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-1-2018 at 05:39

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Very text rich for a poster.
The only errkr that jumped out for me is osmium trioxide instead of osmium tetroxide. But I only skimmed about 20%.
Numerous technical terms withoit definition or explanation. Regioselective etc. Thjs limits usefulness to anyone not already familiar with the material.
Nice clean look. Better than a lot of posters produced.
Take a look at compoundchem.com. Follow Andy's projects over the past several years a d see what is needed to make it pay. There is an online presence, relationship with both educational and rezearch institutions, a book as well as poster sales. This is on top of a full time job. I think he has done a TED talk too and is probably just now coveri g expenses.

I fixed these problem and checked out the website. I like his style as it is very clean and minimalist.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-1-2018 at 06:10

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
For example, epoxidation with peroxy acids is much more widespread than OsO4 oxidation due to the cost and toxicity of the latter. OsO4 is commonly taught in classes though because it helps teach students to recognize steps in synthesis problems (alkene -> glycol is a common transformation). Thiourea is strongly preferable to dimethyl sulfide in reductive ozonolysis because of the toxicity of the latter.

Also, the acid-catalyzed hydration of alkenes is not regioselective in any reasonable sense of the word (any hydrolysis-sensitive moiety will be hydrolysed). Neither is the addition of hydrohalic acids, chlorine or hypochlorite, which are very reactive chemicals (Chlorine will oxidize benzaldehyde to benzoyl chloride, for example). Ozone and borane also react with many other substrates. In fact the only reaction on the poster which I would describe as regioselective is oxidation with OsO4, which is one of the few reactions not labeled regioselective. Hydrogenation, treatment with borohydrides, boranes, etc will affect aldehyde and halide groups along with alkenes.

[Edited on 28-1-2018 by clearly_not_atara]

Here is version 2.0

Capture.PNG - 336kB

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 28-1-2018 at 21:47

Can't comment much on the chemistry, being that I don't know that advanced organic chem very well.
But there are a few structural fixes I would recommend. I can see a "CH2Cl2" instead of "CH2Cl2", and there are a few grammatical errors, mainly in the bottom right block, such as "is is".

Looks great though, just being nitpicky because you said you wanted to sell it. Having it perfect will certainly be necessary for any form of sale.
Impressed!

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2018 at 11:23

Quote: Originally posted by Vosoryx  
Can't comment much on the chemistry, being that I don't know that advanced organic chem very well.
But there are a few structural fixes I would recommend. I can see a "CH2Cl2" instead of "CH2Cl2", and there are a few grammatical errors, mainly in the bottom right block, such as "is is".

Looks great though, just being nitpicky because you said you wanted to sell it. Having it perfect will certainly be necessary for any form of sale.
Impressed!

Fixed!

Capture.PNG - 332kB

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2018 at 11:25

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  
Quote: Originally posted by Vosoryx  

Impressed!

Fixed!

A close up of the diagrams

Capture.PNG - 332kB

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked

Go To Top