Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oxidation of alcohols using bismuth nitrate
Chemichael
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-1-2018 at 12:06
Oxidation of alcohols using bismuth nitrate

Here is an interesting surface-mediated oxidation of alcohols using bismuth nitrate and clay (montmorillonite).

The procedure calls for the use of alcohol, montmorillonite KSF with bismuth nitrate dissolved in THF. The solvent is separated and the mixture extracted with dichloromethane and concentrated to obtain the crude product, which can be purified by column chromatography and crystallization depending on the product.

I can no longer get the exact clay, but I wonder if Bentonite Clay Montmorillonite Fine Powder from Amazon would work. Worth a try in the future because the yields are quite high and would be fun to scale up. Example: 1-phenylethanol to acetophenone is an 89% yield.

Sorry, here is the link: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1081/SCC-100105397?scr...

[Edited on 29-1-2018 by Chemichael]
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
29-1-2018 at 13:38
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 29-1-2018 at 13:43

Provide the reference. We do not tolerate attempts at plagiarism on this forum.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 29-1-2018 at 14:28

That paper doesn't discuss the possibility of using different types of clay (or even using something else entirely). I would guess that a wide variety of things might work; you could definitely try. They do mention that silica and alumina give messy products.

I would have liked to see the authors include at least one control, with no clay added, in order to show the clay is necessary.

(Also, there's a mistake in the paper; they accidentally write 2-phenylethanol instead of 1-phenylethanol at one point.)

[Edited on 1-29-2018 by Metacelsus]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Chemichael
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-1-2018 at 14:47

Yea, that's true, that would have been nice if they included a control to show the difference of the surface-mediated reaction.
I was glad I found another use for the bismuth metal I have, so I thought I would share it. I will probably try this in the future with the Montmorillonite powder and without and I will post my findings and yield when I get to doing this.

Nice living in this DNA system as the universe observing itself.
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 30-1-2018 at 08:05

Let me teach you what bullshit is:
- authors are from pakistan, india, iran;
- article mentiones microwave, clays, simple ionic liquids;
- yields of the products are excellent, but there are no verifiable data on their properties.
Chemichael
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-1-2018 at 08:44

I wouldn't call it bullshit. There is something there. If you don't like bismuth nitrate there is also iron nitrate that can do the same thing. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S004040390...
Is this one bullshit too?

Nice living in this DNA system as the universe observing itself.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 30-1-2018 at 13:12

Quote: Originally posted by Chemichael  
I wouldn't call it bullshit. There is something there. If you don't like bismuth nitrate there is also iron nitrate that can do the same thing. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S004040390...
Is this one bullshit too?
Well, Tetrahedron Letters has a reputation for not being the most thoroughly reviewed journal, so I wouldn't say it's bullshit, but that you should probably investigate it yourself before deciding if it's legit.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 30-1-2018 at 23:20

Chemichael, yes, it's is bullshit too. US environmental protection agency is known to attract indians, probably because of weaker supervision.
battoussai114
Hazard to Others

Mood: Not bad.... Not bad.

[*] posted on 31-1-2018 at 17:13

Quote: Originally posted by byko3y  
Chemichael, yes, it's is bullshit too. US environmental protection agency is known to attract indians, probably because of weaker supervision.

I thought it was because they offer greencards for foreign researchers willing to come to the land of freedom...

Batoussai.

Go To Top