Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 57% Hydriodic Acid Solution
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 30-8-2016 at 10:32

Quote: Originally posted by solo  
Why not try the hypophosphorous (50%) and iodine to make HI......solo.

Don't you also have to bubble H2S through it?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-8-2016 at 10:41

There is always the classic synthesis by Argox from the Hive......solo

Do you (or anyone) happen to know the thiosulfate remedy cited here? I have smelled almonds in my lab before. Even doing HCN reax in the hood I wear a mask. Might be overkill but better than being killed.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-8-2016 at 11:39

There is always the classic synthesis by Argox from the Hive......solo

Any chance of getting the archive link (u2u) or here?

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 30-8-2016 at 17:00

You can react iodine and aluminum in ether, to form aluminum iodide (which is soluble in ether). You can also use other aprotic solvents as long as they have slight polarity and don't react with aluminum metal. Once the solution is clear, react with 83% phosphoric acid, then distill hydroiodic acid from the bottom layer. Or just distill everything over. Or just put your pseudoephedrine in the bottom layer and reflux under pressure for a few days. When you come back, everything will be all ready for you to do your A/B extraction!</joke>

In all seriousness, I'm not sure how soluble HI is in ether compared to phosphoric acid, so when you react the AlI3 with phosphoric acid, some of the evolved HI might migrate back to the ether. Probably a negligible amount because of how acidic it is, but HI can behave kind of weird (as do many iodine compounds) and I don't have a ton of experience with it. It would probably actually cleave the ether, which would make for an interesting ethyl iodide synthesis if nothing else (and my joke meth lab would probably not work for that reason).

But then, worst case scenario, you have ethyl iodide, which is one of those other chemicals that people are always asking how to make, so it's kind of a win/win.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top