Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What releases more CO2: body or machine?
RawWork
Hazard to Others

shocked.gif posted on 21-2-2018 at 10:46
What releases more CO2: body or machine?

For example if same things is being moved by person or by any machine (car...) same distance. Which will release more CO2? Human (by breathing) or machine (by fuel burning)?

[Edited on 21-2-2018 by RawWork]
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 21-2-2018 at 11:40

I seem to recall that a car engine converts about 15% of the fuels' chemical/thermal energy to mechanical, and that human muscle is 10-20% efficient. Both are powered by the oxidation of organic compounds, so the amount of CO2 is probably comparable. However, carbohydrates and similar already have oxygen in their structure; hydrocarbons not so much. You need a bit more carbon per joule of output for this reason with carbohydrates.

The biggest difference, however, is what else requires that energy. Do we need to move a human body (usually 50-150 kg) plus a load of 20-50 kg, or do we need to move the same load, plus a human operator, plus a car that weighs 10 or more times as much?
On the other hand, a human can't be turned on or off. We eat and breathe wether we are moving a load or not, and the full power we can produce for an extended time is only a few times bigger than our resting energy consumption. It takes a lot of people (or a very long time) to move tonne-size loads any significant distance. The whole time, they are oxidizing carbon to keep themselves running, as well as to perform external work.

I would suspect that for small jobs the body makes less CO2, but for big ones the machine is more efficient.

That doesn't take into account the greater cost per calorie of food compared to fuel, the health benefits of moderate exercise, the environmental impacts of waste products besides CO2 and H2O,
etc.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-2-2018 at 15:11
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-3-2018 at 04:13

"What releases more CO2: body or machine?"

Lets assume the answer is people, then some possible radical solutions would be population control or rapid depopulation of the earth!

If the answer is machine, then perhaps less machines per person. Less of, or no, cars, planes, space heaters,....implying a return to rural country living. I believe this was already attempted once upon a time in Cambodia where depopulation (mass killings) was also imposed!

Strange how both extreme answers imply the same course of action.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2018 at 04:18

Mass killings where idiology based, nothing to do with the betterment of the environment for Cambodia

Machine dwarfs a humans co2 output, nature of how they work, much less wastes produced by just moving it by good ol muscle power, as if we keep track of all energy streams we must factor in the co2 of the production of the fuels, and oil for the car as well as fuel burned for the work, then a big section of that energy is used simply to keep the engine running when not moving.

Cars have poor metabolism ramping!
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 28-3-2018 at 05:01

Depends on how the machine is powered. Use a battery operated car that is solar charged and the answer is different. I assume it would also depend on the task..... too many variables - the question, as written, is very naïve.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-3-2018 at 05:21

Practically, for survival and work purposes. Prehistorically or generally, like what is better now and since humans appeared and for future. For long term exploitation of natural resources like stone, soil, wood, water, plants (food). Like living every year. Is it smart to start using machines ASAP? Or only use them when when they become available, cheap, have to (must) be used. Considering global warming and general enjoyment or suffering, like what is easier for a person?

I mean many people live in some bad or inefficient way, not because they chose it, but because they are stuck. Poor, not smart enough, not creative, not productive, not lucky... Even today, there are locations, nations, people where technology is not used, and result is unneccessary suffering. Consider:
- broom vs vacuum cleaner
- walking vs driving
- carrying water vs water flowing through pipes
- using animals as helpers vs using machines as helpers

Personally and subjectively: What will bring more enjoyment, hapiness, peace in lifes?
Generally and objectively and scientifically: What will degrade earth as a whole faster? What will do more damage to plants, animals, and humans long-term?

Should technology be employed ASAP or only if it has to? I feel uncertainty. I am not asking for personal subjective opinion. But for scientific calculation. Considering global warming, future, planet, health...

What is more good, what is more bad?
Although one can work against another wish. Like it's more comfortable that everyone has his own car because more freedom and space, but worse for planet...

[Edited on 28-3-2018 by RawWork]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 28-3-2018 at 05:41

Technology already is employed in the better part of the world. In some cases this works out beneficial for the environment, in other cases its net effect is negative. It depends on the type of technology used and the type of task to be performed.

There is no silver bullet answer to this question.

One thing, however, I know for sure. Without (advancing) technology we will not make it in the long run. Technology needs to be used, but equally important, it needs to be improved. Technology alone, however, is not sufficient, I also think that a change of mind is needed. E.g. we can go to have fun at a location 1000 km away by plane, but we also can take it more easy by car, or by train. Or we do not go to that location at all and take our fun at a place, closer to home. Now we think "big, bigger, biggest" and that has to change as well.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-3-2018 at 05:46

Hmm...if we could reduce global warming and inhabit other planets, then maybe there would be nothing to complain. Let's focus on that in another topic.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 28-3-2018 at 05:53

If you want to do one immediately effective thing to improve lives of a largely unmechanized population, one not adopting first world type "modern" methods of work, lifestyle and transport due to poverty, ignorance, cultural inertia- And at the same time reduce CO2 and particulate pollution?

No matter where they are, they cook and heat water, usually using wood, straw, animal dung or similar bio materials. Open burned, inneficiently (excess CO2 for work performed) and with lots of smoke (particulate pollution, heath risk). A large % of 3rd world women will eventually go blind and/or suffer respiratory disease from leaning over open fires or primitive hearths to cook for a family.

So teach them how to make wood gassifier type cook stoves. ("Rocket stoves")

https://youtu.be/XAZXsV70tbw

[Edited on 28-3-2018 by Bert]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 29-3-2018 at 06:42

Quote: Originally posted by RawWork  
Hmm...if we could reduce global warming and inhabit other planets, then maybe there would be nothing to complain. Let's focus on that in another topic.

So, if you are eating too much and that is causing a resource problem, the answer is not a diet, but just find more resources to support a pattern of excessive intake?

Is migrating to Mars an answer?

Well, this discussion on insects, "Cannibal crickets on a forced march for protein and salt", link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1449662/, may tells us what is in our future, to quote:

"Swarming and mass migration are spectacular and sometimes devastating features of the biology of various animal species. These phenomena are typically associated with actual or anticipated depletion of food resources after an increase in population density, ..."

"We show that protein and salt satiation reduced cannibalism..."

"Additionally, experimentally reducing the motility or mobility of crickets substantially increased their risk of being cannibalized by other band members..."

"Migratory band formation and subsequent mass movement, therefore, are manifestations of specific tradeoffs between the costs and benefits of group living. Bands afford antipredator benefits to individual group members. Group movement then mitigates the resulting costs of intraspecific competition, namely local depletion of nutritional resources and the associated increased risk of cannibalism."

[Edited on 29-3-2018 by AJKOER]
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-3-2018 at 07:10

Come on, if i am eating excessively, I will sooner or later feel suffering, disease will warn me, as Herbert M Shelton said that main cause of all diseases is bad quality and quantity and way of eating - food. More specifically he explained that cause of excess quantity intake is bad quality. Normal/raw/whole/natural food can't lead to overeating and other behaviours and diseases. But even there is relative definition of what is good and what is bad. I mean toxic mushrooms are natural too, but more deadly than cola or alcohol or cannabis. He also calculated and explained how cereals are worst normal food, followed by animal food, explaining why vegetarians and vegans doesn't have to mean they are healthy. Because they use cereals and processing. Read book Orthotrophy. There he explained how it is inefficient to grow grains. Fruit is more efficient. Considering minerals and energy... To not convert this to topic health, let's just say we're trying to enjoy more, and suffer less.

Going to other planets is solution if you're asking me. If there's more space, why not use it? Because of lack of knowledge and technology? If nuclear fusion existed it would solve energy problem fully, and let us go to whatever space or planet, and produce our food (i am perfectionist and like repeated exact things like same temperature, pressure, gas concentration, minerals, ph...would not grow it naturally ever), even water in worst case. After all that's all you need. Fun, health, optimal life parameter which can be set up using technology. Light, temperature, pressure, voltage, gases...all can be controlled today. Yes, we have to isolate ourselves from those new planets somewhat because they are out of ordinary. But Earth is not perfect either. Global warming, winters, volcanoes, nuclear wars, terrorists, diseases that are easy to spread and impossible/difficult to stop. How much days are perfect on this planet. If there's 365 days in a year, how much percent is ideal? Let's be honest: very little. If we didn't use technology, more would die and suffer.

After all it's all about enjoyment or suffering. Or if you like to think life and death. Let's be honest, you don't care more about anything else than about that? Nothing has higher priority. Killing living beings doesn't have to mean suffering. Sometimes it is recommended to kill them as much as faster as possible. Consider for food, or to prevent them from killing you, like mosquitoes or some larger dangerous. It's natural and moral and encouraged by religions. Some may restrict partially, but no religion forbids it.

And what are you trying to say with those citates?

Edit:
I forgot to say that I am aware that even only on our planet there is space, even on the ground. Plus underground, and building our islands... It will last longer than my life surely.

Edit 2:
I promised I will make 3 videos before spring begins, that is a month ago. Am I liar? Did I lie? No! I did not mean calendar spring, but weather spring, outside, natural, real. I hoped it will be spring, but it's winter. Snow just can't melt. Although temperatures are sometimes higher. So here I am updating my promises: gonna make video when real spring begins, in middle of May.

[Edited on 29-3-2018 by RawWork]

Go To Top