Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can i generate lead carbonate using lead electrodes on a sodium bicarbonate cell?
PyroPlatinum
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-2-2018 at 23:29
Can i generate lead carbonate using lead electrodes on a sodium bicarbonate cell?

Hi. I would like to know if sodium bicarbonate electrolysis using lead electrodes could generate lead carbonate, and what would be the reactions taking place on the cell. Thanks.
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2018 at 06:17

Some info on making lead carbonate at bottom here

https://geocitieschloratesite.000webhostapp.com/chlorate/lea...

Don't forget the Lead Salts Preparation thread.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5490

Yob

PyroPlatinum
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-2-2018 at 15:36

Thanks, i will read.
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 24-2-2018 at 17:10

According to Wikipedia, carbonate ions don’t corrode electrodes so sodium carbonate is actually a better electrolyte than NaCl. Metathesis with soluble lead salts, particularly nitrate as mentioned, would be your best route.

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 24-2-2018 at 17:28

I feel like either dissolving lead in acetic acid/H2O2 then using a carbonate salt to precipitate it or using a different electrolyte to produce a soluble lead salt (acetic acid) and precipitate using carbonate is easier. The lead carbonate would probably clump near the the anode and slow down the electrolysis if you use sodium carbonate as an electrolyte.

The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next.
PyroPlatinum
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-2-2018 at 02:55

Hmm interesting... unfortunately i don't have any lead nitrate or hno3 at the moment, i actually read about this on a amateur chemistry site somewhere on the internet... i can't remember the source. But anyway, i will try with sodium carbonate and lead electrodes to see what happens.. because this would be the most viable way for me to do this... anyways thanks for the help so far
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 25-2-2018 at 09:18

What related chemicals do you have access to? Just trying to save you from wasting your time IMO, but by all means if you want to give it a go then please don’t feel dissuaded, results can always be surprising! Make sure to let us know how it goes, it’s always useful for future reference no matter whether there’s success or failure.

I’d consider the possibility of generating nitric acid in situ and making the lead carbonate in a one pot reaction. If you have sulphuric acid drain cleaner and potassium nitrate stump remover of reasonable purity, for instance, these can be added together (with some water of course) to make your nitric acid. The lead pieces can be dropped in until they’ve dissolved completely, and sodium carbonate solution is then added to drop out the lead carbonate to be filtered, washed with distilled water, then dried. All the other ions will remain in solution and it means you won’t have to get your hands on nitric acid - I’m pretty sure the majority of home chemists here make it themselves anyway, me included, due to particularly harsh restrictions which either make it prohibitively expensive or very difficult to ship.

[Edited on 25-2-2018 by LearnedAmateur]

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-3-2018 at 13:59

If you google

surface colouration of stainless steel by oxibe layers

Some hits come up.

One seems good from Rimex metals australia

I cannot up load here at the moment

Yob

Go To Top