Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Salt starts pulverizing just before drying during evaporation
Akhil jain
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2018 at 01:45
Salt starts pulverizing just before drying during evaporation

Whenever I try to evaporate salt solutions on my evaporating dish like sodium sulphite ,sodium chloride,copper chloride etc the salt starts pulverizing just before drying and it splatters everywhere suggest me how to overcome this
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 1-3-2018 at 01:58

I'm assuming you're trying to boil a solution to dryness? That can be tricky (as you've experienced). A better practice would be to stop heating well before this happens and let it cool down. Decant off the liquid and let the solids air dry while you boil down the remainder of the liquid.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 1-3-2018 at 02:00

As soon as it starts spitting, take it off the heat. Finish up with a water bath followed by either drying in air or in an oven.

LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 1-3-2018 at 04:18

It’s from where the solution becomes a paste and so there’s more resistance for the bubbles. I’ve always remedied this by putting something over the beaker I use (I’d recommend this over the evaporating dish), like a filter paper - you could use the dish for this purpose as long as the steam can still get out (maybe prop it over with some sort of stand? Another fix could be to use an Erlenmeyer flask, although evaporation will take longer as the water condenses on the sides (attach a vacuum pump?, and it may be difficult to get all of your product if it’s necessary to do so.

[Edited on 1-3-2018 by LearnedAmateur]

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.

Go To Top