Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Electric matches, uniform resistance of bridge wires and reliability in series firing
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 15:39

Those capacitor designed detonators surely must have sensitive first fires. Which I find somewhat counterproductive to improve the safety of a device by increasing the sensitivity of its components (bridge wires and first fires). It's like using nitroglycerin to improve the safety. WTF?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 17:51

25% of failure ? It seems as a wrong joke. I am trying tomorrow do some pictures of my system, which works in basically without fail.

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 21:47

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
So, basically the go-to ignition system became no good and you need a new ignition system ?

Not "No good" so much as our primary supplier (from who we maintain a half year + inventory of their products pretty much at all times) became annoyingly and noticeably somewhat unreliable when used in a way I have done regularly for 20+ years.

We really don't like to take any explosives home at the end of the night.

What I feel a need for is our supplier to step up and try to improve feliability of their product, preferably in a way that doesn't increase my crews risk of experiencing an accidental ignition. If our stuff goes off while attaching electric matches or in shipping, handling and loading into the guns after, there will be injuries at the very least.

I have never had a crew person need medical treatment for burn or explosion related injuries. I'd like to keep it that way, the usual working guys background count of twisting ankles, tripping over stuff in the dark, sunburns, blisters, insect stings, mishandling boxcutters, hitting fingers and toes with hammers, etc. are bad enough.

This crew was attaching igniters to fireworks when they had an ignition. 3 out of 5 died.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/5503886/

[Edited on 11-3-2018 by Bert]

Screenshot_20180310-235215.png - 2.6MB
sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: No mask.

[*] posted on 11-3-2018 at 09:42

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Quote: Originally posted by aga  
So, basically the go-to ignition system became no good and you need a new ignition system ?

Not "No good" so much as our primary supplier (from who we maintain a half year + inventory of their products pretty much at all times) became annoyingly and noticeably somewhat unreliable when used in a way I have done regularly for 20+ years.

We really don't like to take any explosives home at the end of the night.

What I feel a need for is our supplier to step up and try to improve feliability of their product, preferably in a way that doesn't increase my crews risk of experiencing an accidental ignition. If our stuff goes off while attaching electric matches or in shipping, handling and loading into the guns after, there will be injuries at the very least.

I have never had a crew person need medical treatment for burn or explosion related injuries. I'd like to keep it that way, the usual working guys background count of twisting ankles, tripping over stuff in the dark, sunburns, blisters, insect stings, mishandling boxcutters, hitting fingers and toes with hammers, etc. are bad enough.

This crew was attaching igniters to fireworks when they had an ignition. 3 out of 5 died.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/5503886/

[Edited on 11-3-2018 by Bert]

Your job managing this is a very heavy responsibility.
Have you talked with other suppliers of these devices?
I ask because if your main supplier is starting to produce
an inferior product, then an alternate supplier would seem
like a viable thing to at least investigate so that you'll have
somewhat of a "plan B" when there is a need for it.

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-3-2018 at 08:32

So here is my thermal analysis of Bert's chart of no-fire/all-fire/arc regions.

I fit a power law regression to the lower curve of the all fire region. Not knowing the dimensions of the bridge wire I estimated the radius at 0.028 cm and a length of 0.2 cm. For a room temperature resistivity of 1.3E-4 ohm-cm this comes to one ohm. That small gage might be the reason for such variations. I took density at 8.4g/cc, specific heat at 0.45 J/gK, conductivity at 0.113 W/cmK. This gives diffusivity at 298.9 cm2/s. The forcing function F is constant at 2×I^2×L^2×r/(pi^3×cp×rho×A^2).

The solution to temperature at a point 0 <x <0.2 after a pulse duration of tp of I current, amps, is found by the following summation for n=1,2,3...:
T (x,tp)=20+F•Sum {sin (n•pi•x)•[1-exp (-alpha•tp•(n•pi/L)^2)]•(1-cos (n•pi))}

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see most of that lower curve heating up around 350C. Around 0.04s the isothermal assumption begins to fail (deviate from assuming no conduction) and more current is necessary to maintain the temperature which is likely the reason for the elbow in the curve. Maybe someone can plot it for me, I did all my work on an offline computer. I'll update it with the no fire curve when I get a chance.
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-3-2018 at 05:48

So for the same geometry and thermal model it appears to stay below 200C in the no fire region. I used a power law of A=0.0455*t^-0.5205.

I was giving some further thought to the heat transfer from the wire to the pyrogen. The conduction equations are straightforward but I think they are pointless. The pyrogen contact is discontinuous. The diffusivity is incredibly different. But at the same time I think there is value to knowing the relationship. Given the high difference of temperature I think thermal radiation might be the dominant mechanism.

[Edited on 17-3-2018 by roXefeller]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top