Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cyanuric Chloride - Anyone interested in some?
Sidmadra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-3-2018 at 09:39
Cyanuric Chloride - Anyone interested in some?

I was planning to pick up some Cyanuric Chloride from one of my overseas suppliers and I realized a lot of people here might have need for some. Here in the US, I'm not aware of it being sold by any chemical suppliers that will sell to individuals. It's a great reagent for all sorts of thing - very useful for converting alcohols to alkyl chlorides very easily, and for very easy preparation of acid chlorides.

I'm posting this to gauge interest to see how much I might should order. I'm located in the US, and would prefer to stick mostly with the US and Canada shipping if possible. I could send some overseas to Europe or wherever, if the quantity isn't too large (for hazmat shipping reasons and other international legal reasons).

Just bouncing the idea around. If there's any other similar uncommon yet useful chemicals that might be of interest to others here, I can check on those as well. I'm able to source practically anything as long as it's legal and not overly dangerous to handle.

[Edited on 9-3-2018 by Sidmadra]
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 9-3-2018 at 16:18

One of those chemicals I have read about but never seen-
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 9-3-2018 at 18:35

I'd be very interested if the price is right!

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Sidmadra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-3-2018 at 18:55

What sort of pricing would you think is fair? Or rather how much were you wanting to get? Right now I've only asked him for a price on a small amount, but I know if I ask about a larger quantity the price could come down considerably.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-3-2018 at 19:26

Small and large amounts are relative, of course. I suppose it would be good to have a couple hundred grams. I could go for up to 500 grams max if it's really cheap. It is one of the "orange" chemicals on my list that I have not yet been able to obtain. :P

It also depends on where in the US you are located. If you were in Texas, for instance, the option of local pick-up would make me much more inclined to buy on the higher end of my range.

Sidmadra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-3-2018 at 19:55

500g was originally what I inquired about for myself, but I just sent him an email asking how much 3-5kg would cost, as I imagine it would bring the rate down considerably. I'm on the East Coast, not in Texas unfortunately.

If the interest seems high enough, and I can justify buying a few KG, I'm sure we won't have trouble figuring something out.

Downside is they usually don't respond to me at all from Friday-Sunday, so I might be waiting till Monday for a reply.

[Edited on 10-3-2018 by Sidmadra]
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 00:13

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
It is one of the "orange" chemicals on my list that I have not yet been able to obtain.

Apparently you need some Quinoline , Yohimbine or Yttrium chloride, but I don’t how your going to fill your J vacancy LOL
carrant
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 08:23

I would also be interested in ordering.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 16:49

Quote: Originally posted by wg48  
Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
It is one of the "orange" chemicals on my list that I have not yet been able to obtain.

Apparently you need some Quinoline , Yohimbine or Yttrium chloride, but I don’t how your going to fill your J vacancy LOL
Juglone!

Just kidding, I don't see that as an essential, though it is an interesting compound

Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 11-3-2018 at 06:47

Quote: Originally posted by carrant  
I would also be interested in ordering.

Agreed.

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
Sidmadra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-3-2018 at 13:32

So, I got a quote back and the prices are much higher than I was anticipating. I was hoping they would be able to beat Sigma's prices, but I'm guessing because the item is so commercially available, it's almost the same price in China as it is in the US.

For reference, Sigma prices Cyanuric Chloride at $50/kg. Originally I was quoted $100/500g, the smallest quantity he would do, price including expedited shipping from China, and whatever his % fee is. For 5kg, he quoted me $750 ($150/kg). Given all the fees, the China price comes out to much higher than Sigma.

So, because the price is so high, it's not even worth the hassle for me to try to profit off of it, to which I don't even have $750 to shell out right now for 5kg. But other than that, I am open to ideas since a lot of people seem to be interested in this.

[Edited on 11-3-2018 by Sidmadra]

Go To Top