Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mercury flasks (76lb) Idea place to acquire one.
Hunterxl
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2007 at 13:52
Mercury flasks (76lb) Idea place to acquire one.

I currently starting an element collection, each element would have a ultra pure analytical grade sample, a common application (e.g. Thermometer) and a standard of measurement of that substance (e.g. Ounce of gold).
Right know I am on mercury and I already have 2 samples (Thermometer and a High Grade sample) but I have no standard of measurement, and for mercury that is the 76lb flask.

I currently reside in NJ the mercury capital of America however I have no Idea where to start? (Metal recycler I guess). I could try other sources but I wouldn’t know where go even online.

Any Idea where I could acquire a flask of mercury for market Price. I know United Nuclear sells it by the pound but I doubt they would sell it by the flask.
I am willing to buy a flask even if it wasn’t completely full since it’s really the flask I’m looking for.
BCPneumatics
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-3-2007 at 05:28

No metal recycler I have ever been to has carried mercury, and I'd imagine that they would have to have some sort of certification to handle stuff like that. Then again, everyone in Ca is scarred of their own shadow, so who knows.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Hunterxl
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-3-2007 at 08:52

You can buy it as a regnant why not in it's flask form. Why would the state matter?
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2007 at 09:30

The flask isn't that exciting. I have one, it's looks like a small - 3 liter - compressed gas tank except there's a bolt closing it instead of a valve.

You are aware that a flask of mercury has been running US$ 500 to 700 in the last several years, and hitting a high of over 900 at one point?

If all you want is the container, this might be cheaper and more interesting to look at

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrf...
Hunterxl
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-3-2007 at 11:32

Isn't there a surplus of mercury now? It was at one point $900 but I doubt it's like that now.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 13-3-2007 at 13:17

It's about $700 or so now. Actually, I recall that a flask of mercury is somewhat smaller than 3L, maybe like 2L or so? Some years back, we had 5 disposed of.

Might try here: http://www.virginmercury.com/page02.htm

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
BCPneumatics
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-3-2007 at 15:51

Quote:
Originally posted by Hunterxl
You can buy it as a regnant why not in it's flask form. Why would the state matter?

I can buy lots of things in reagent form that I cannot go pick up from a local supplier.

Why would state matter? Read the following:
http://www.nmma.org/supplychain/ca.asp
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2007 at 16:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Fleaker
It's about $700 or so now. Actually, I recall that a flask of mercury is somewhat smaller than 3L, maybe like 2L or so?

Three Arrobas Castellanas in a flask, 34.5 kg or a shade over 2.5 liters But the flasks are not completely filled and are 3 liters in capacity. An empty one makes a decent doorstop, a full one an awkward weight as the mercury tends to slosh.
Hunterxl
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-3-2007 at 17:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Fleaker
It's about $700 or so now. Actually, I recall that a flask of mercury is somewhat smaller than 3L, maybe like 2L or so? Some years back, we had 5 disposed of.

Might try here: http://www.virginmercury.com/page02.htm

Yha I sent them an e-mail but I doubt they will respond. Even though I can't find where they sell mercury on that site.

Go To Top