Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fountain experiment with different gases
Akhil jain
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2018 at 11:52
Fountain experiment with different gases

Let me ask you people . Tell me the names of any 3 gases that are easy to produce in lab and would show fountain experiment.lets see how many of you can get all the three gases correct.

Subscribe to my youtube channel named akhil the chemist. search it and you will get it this channel is unique .
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9GD00yhAoKajgjRWvqyH-w
CobaltChloride
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-3-2018 at 12:08

They all have to be very soluble in water, so NH3, HCl, HBr and HI are common compounds which fit this category.
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 13-3-2018 at 12:27

Ammonia (of course), I know hydrogen chloride has high solubility too, and I also watched your video with nitrogen dioxide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-c1vp_P800
That was very striking visually, since the gas itself is orange colored and made a white mist (HNO2 and HNO3? NH4NO3/NH4NO2 from reactions the ammonia you added with the pH indicator?).

I am assuming this was a social experiment, to see how many of us are watching your channel :D. Anyhow, cool video. Ammonia fountains are well known, so it is nice to see the phenomenon with some other soluble and water-reactive gases. Excellent work!

Edit: After searching around YouTube a bit more, I found some fountains with HCl too. Using NO2 was clever, and it shows that you know how and why the phenomenon works. It really shows the gas being absorbed and "scrubbed" out of the gas space in the flask.

Oh. One more thing. Why is their another thread "Fountain experiment with different gasses" Which says -1 replies, last post 1969? I've seen this happen with a thread "How to dissolve old rubber" as well. Is this a software glitch, or is this messed-up date what happens when you delete something? I know this is more suited for "forum matters" but since we have an example of it here, it seems like a good time to address it.

[Edited on 13-3-2018 by Vomaturge]

[Edited on 13-3-2018 by Vomaturge]
Akhil jain
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-3-2018 at 12:42

All of you were correct . And I was not knowing that people have watched my nitrogen dioxide fountain experiment. There is only one video on YouTube for that matter.
That white mist was not due to reaction of ammonia with Nitrogen dioxide because very less ammonia was added to water just to turn phenolphthalein pink. Dissolution of NO2 in H2O is exothermic and I think that mist may be due to vapours of acid formed when NO2 reacted with water.
The mist you saw disappeared at the last.

I also tried fountain experiment with sulphur dioxide but that not worked . That means even though 80 volumes of SO2 can dissolve in 1 volume water, it won't show fountain experiment.
Today only fountain experiment with ammonia was uploaded by periodic table of videos .

[Edited on 13-3-2018 by Akhil jain]

Subscribe to my youtube channel named akhil the chemist. search it and you will get it this channel is unique .
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 13-3-2018 at 23:49

A very nice addition to the NO2-experiment would be to add a not too strong solution of CuSO4 in dilute HCl instead of water. This causes formation of a deep blue copper(II)/chloride/nitrogen monoxide complex. Just try it first in a test tube. Make some NOx gas, put this in a test tube and pour in a solution of CuSO4 in 5% or so HCl.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Akhil jain
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-3-2018 at 02:53

I will try it surely when I will get time . Nowadays working on potassium dichromate video. Few steps have been shooted many steps are left

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2018 at 11:49

methylamine and dimethylamine probably work too.

SO3 would be exciting.

HCN might work, but I'd not want to have to try.
Of course, if you use something other than water as the liquid, you get a few more options. For example carbon monoxide or acetylene would work if the liquid was a solution of copper(I) chloride in ammonia.
Ethylene would work , if you used a strong solution of permanganate.

How did anyone come to teh conclusion there were only 3?

Akhil jain
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-3-2018 at 13:41

I did not say that there were only 3 . I said to tell the name of 3 gases which will show fountain experiment .I expected the most common ones . And found experiment is done only with water since large amount of water is required if other solvents are used the experiment would become too costly. And gases that you are telling like SO3 is difficult to produce in lab. So fountain experiment can't be performed with it and even if we make it in lab it will react with moisture in air to make mist of sulphuric acid .
Amines could show fountain experiment since they are more basic than ammonia may be they are very soluble like ammonia .
As far as HCN is concerned it is not something to play with.
And if you think to do fountain experiment with CO,C2H4,C2H2 by using different solvents then please do and post on YouTube . I want to see that

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2018 at 14:15

Quote: Originally posted by Akhil jain  
I did not say that there were only 3 .

You more or less did, when you said "all three" here
.lets see how many of you can get all the three gases correct.

Akhil jain
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-3-2018 at 15:37

Let me ask you people . Tell me the names of any 3 gases

What's this then

ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 14-3-2018 at 16:42

1. You're contradicting yourself.
2. Please respect the more seasoned members of the forum. Most of the members have more experience with chemistry than you. After all, this thread has become a more hypothetical one, and there are other members who have more knowledge about this subject than you.
3. I would advise you, once again, to stop constantly promoting your channel. This isn't an advertisement board.

The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next.
Akhil jain
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-3-2018 at 02:01

I did not promote my youtube channel in this post . This was just a social experiment that how many of people are aware of nitrogen dioxide fountain experiment . I did not post any links here .
Are you jealous of me or got irritated by my post .
If people are getting irritated by my post I won't post any such posts .

ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 15-3-2018 at 06:30

I'm not jealous of your few subscribers; instead you should treated seasoned members such as unionised with respect.

The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next.

Go To Top