Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Some of my glassware finally showed up, MOST undamaged!
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2018 at 20:44
Some of my glassware finally showed up, MOST undamaged!

Well, all the fragile stuff and the bottles that were packed so tight I figured i'd loose maybe 3-6 of them (28 500ml & 25 1L glass media reagent bottles) but they all showed up perfectly bit then another place shipped me 2 flasks 4L heavy wall filter flask & 6L Erlenmeyer and the 6L broke! There weren't even enough peanuts in the box to fill it up (it should have been PACKED TIGHT!) and the bubble wrap that was supposed to be wrapped around the flasks, or at least placed between them, was just lying on top of the flasks and peanuts at the very top of the packaging! How F'ing dumb. Both were shipped by UPS store. There is a big issue now b/c neither the shipping store or UPS want to pay for it and they point at each other.

You can't see the crack in the 6L in this picture, but it there :mad: - It feels like the idiot at the UPS Store did this on purpose. She wanted $103 for packaging alone for these two + $45 for ground shipping (only 600 miles). BUT she filled the inside of both flasks with peanuts (and taped them closed) but didn't fill the box - only about 80% full.
Flasks 4L & 6L.jpg - 273kB

This thing is HEAVY and THICK! no wonder the 6L broke instead of this!
glassware 4.jpg - 144kB

Everything is 24/40 except for a couple connections are 29/42 I think (is that a standard number??)
glassware 1.jpg - 302kB

glassware 2.jpg - 267kB

Need to figure out how this gets held together, I'm guessing a clamp but IDK what they are called. This is a 750 - 800ml Soxhlet extractor
glassware 3.jpg - 143kB
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2018 at 06:50

I believe I have fittings like that on my science blender. What's the diameter of the flange, and the tube the flange is on?

I'll check and if it matches I'll post pictures of the clamp, it's a pretty simple one compared to those damn Kontes spherical clamps, and even if you can't find one you can probably find a substitute.

29/42 is a very common standard size.
Just the next one up. Adaptors should be easy to find.

Great Dewar condensers (or maybe constant temp baths).
I suppose they'd work for either thing.

There is NOTHING more maddening than somebody who fills a flask with packing material!!!
What the hell are these people thinking?

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-3-2018 at 10:40

You're lucky that the filter flask did not lose it's vacuum inlet, they break off easily on large flasks, seen it many times.

And 29/42 is quite common for larger glassware, have tons of pieces with that joint. I also have a few adapters for it to other sizes, especially male 24/40 to female 29/42.

And they likely filled the box with packing noodles, but failed to cover the top of the flask, so the packing material went into the flask and left space for stuff to move. Being in a truck for thousands of miles of highway can shake a box a lot. But I learned to cover the top of flasks on the first or second package I packed, anyone who does that should know. I would make a claim against the packaging store, you paid them to pack it safely, they are responsible, not UPS. If you used a credit card or paypal, you can file a claim easily.

Go To Top