Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Download and sharing youtube video files
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 17-3-2018 at 17:32
Download and sharing youtube video files

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_hosting_s...

Im not sure what is the best free one to host the files
I intend to use a free file hoasting site to store downloaded youtube videos in flv file format especially because youtube keeps removing them so download while i can
And if there is one i can share the link for others to download
What does everyone else use as online storage

Flv files take up 10mb to 20mb

[Edited on 18-3-2018 by symboom]

symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-3-2018 at 20:37

I have set up a storage of youtube videos
Chemistry Video files
They can be downloaded at
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/kbll6gz9bdb4q/Videos

[Edited on 27-3-2018 by symboom]
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2018 at 09:44

I have about 5-6 channels fully downloaded at highest quality video and audio, about 8-20gb in total (haven't checked since middle of 3rd channel was downloaded).

I was thinking of making a torrent of all these videos, one large torrent where each video can be downloaded separately from within the torrent or the entire compilation at once. I plan on setting up a seedbox to host it permanently so even if people stop hosting it on their own machines, it will still be available from the original seed box.

IDK if any of these hosting services like mediafire, dropbox or even googledocs (or googledrive) or any backup services (carbonite and the like) would allow for hosting the torrent data file, not the small 250K torrent file/magnet file. Does anyone know if these free services allow for torrent files to be hosted?

There are A LOT of channels on YT that are disappearing b/c they are censoring anything they disagree with to go along with the radical left's attack on anything the right believes in (2nd amendment especially but also chemistry related stuff).

I want to see a new video service truly dedicated to freedom of speech and information from chemistry to guns to explosives. these are all legitimate forms of research and it is better to be educated in their workings than not if you ever have to use them.

For those who want to post chemistry video's on a site that WILL NOT infringe on your freedoms, please contact me as I've been in contact with a growing number of hosting sites (similar to youtube but not fascist like YT and Google) and a lot of YT publishers are moving their content to a new site where they can not worry of censorship.

The movement of government oppression is growing and reaching into ever more corners of our lives. We need to band together and make efforts to keep information freely available and safe guard it before they remove access to sites like THIS ONE, or informational channels on YT.
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-3-2018 at 10:47

Just make many google account as it is completely legal and use those 16 GB of each. There was user prankster called ItzArya and they removed all his videos, now he reuploads them all one each week. We should be ready for massive loss at any moment.
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2018 at 13:06

Lets get this started before its too late and come together as a community just like what was done for the wiki

Alright a torrent sounds good
Rougerose i completly agree thats why i did my part to save energetic and organic chemistry videos the most likely to be taken down at least those first creating a backup on mediafire

Rawwork that is what i exactly did
set up a public google email so anyone can freely upload and download videos using google drive

SciencemadnessU2U@gmail.com
Password is accessible by emailing the public email or U2U

RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-3-2018 at 15:30

I am not interested for any specific channel or playlist For those who have slow internet, workaround is to do all download and upload online. Archive.org may be good site for backup. Savetodrive.net is good for uploading directly from online to google drive. Youtube, google drive, and almost any site has dynamic direct url or require login/cookies, so workaround is to use some online youtube downloader which gives static download url, then if it's http back it up like normal website using archive.org... Something like that... I know that web.archive.org holds even file of each over GB size when it does backup of http sites... But unlike downloading those backups from archive.org, web.archive.org links are not resumable and do not allow download accelerators (multiple connections).
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 18:28

thanks for the useful information. I saved a few to my computer for safe keeping

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 19:14

Same I been starting to do it on all the energetic and medication synths, I been studying what they used int he world wars as it is the easiest for the mid to lower range chemists to make easily.

I keep a USB thumb drive synched up to the HD folder as well for redundancy

[Edited on 11-4-2018 by XeonTheMGPony]
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-4-2018 at 11:36

I found a way to download videos easier for a phone the youtube app doesnt let you copy the url so i opened the browser typed youtube.com the searched for the channel clicked on all videos then right clocked and choose copy link address then pasted that onto a online youtube downloader i used 3gp because of the small file size and uploaded to mediafire so tell me what channels should be added

So far i have
Chemplayer
Labratory of libtovkov
And a couple others
u2u me and ill give you the password to upload youtube videos
The videos that will have priority to be saved will be energetics and organic chemistry the ones most likely to be removed from youtube

I wish i had a program that would automate this

[Edited on 21-4-2018 by symboom]

[Edited on 21-4-2018 by symboom]

ohok
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-4-2018 at 23:51

Can anyone suggest youtube channels to archive? I am just getting into this chemistry scene but have backed up 14tb of gun related channels with videos dealing with topics such as disassembly/reassembly, machining guns and gun parts/accessories from scratch and making ammunition.

For the topic of chemistry I have downloaded the channels:
Chemplayer
Labratory of libtovkov
AllChemystery
Rhodanide
Extractions&Ire
nurdrage
Xfactor Chem
boomboom314159
incognitus001
Edson Martins
Miles Cheung
mabakken
ytmachx
AlchemicalGarden
mrhomescientist
plus a lot of other smaller channels with one or two relevant videos

I don't know how useful or good any of these are, I'm just scrambling to download any channels.

I suggest you use the program youtube-dl to download videos and entire channels automatically. It is open source and free, but it is a command line program and therefore may be unintuitive to use. Another option that is currently popular is 4K Video Downloader, which costs $15 but has a GUI.

This is a good starting guide for using youtube-dl:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/858ny5/my_yout...

My youtube-dl config file is different from that tutorial in a few ways, here it is:
Code:
-i #You will change D:\youtube\ to the disk drive and folder you want to start archiving channels, I suggest you keep what follows after that -o "D:\youtube\%(uploader)s\%(title)s\%(id)s.%(ext)s" # Archive Settings #These paths you will change to the location of your youtube-dl-archive.txt and youtube-dl-channels.txt files --download-archive "C:\youtube-dl\youtube-dl-archive.txt" -a "C:\youtube-dl\youtube-dl-channels.txt" -f ("bestvideo[width<=1920]"/best)+bestaudio/best # Uniform Format --prefer-ffmpeg --merge-output-format mkv # Get All Subs to SRT --write-sub # Get metadata --add-metadata --write-description --write-thumbnail --write-annotations --write-info-json # Debug -v

The reason my output for the video files is
Code:
%(uploader)s\%(title)s\%(id)s.%(ext)s

is because I download the video, the video discription, and other files like subtitles to a folder path starting with the uploader (channel) name, then the files are saved in a directory with the video title, then all the files are saved with only the video ID. This is because the chosen path for saving videos can be too long for your operating system, stopping you from downloading many videos on the channel. This is something most people may not understand. There are still limitations even with modern operating systems.

Also the line
Code:
-f ("bestvideo[width<=1920]"/best)+bestaudio/best

is used because I have no use for video quality above 1080p and it will automatically download 4k videos which are extremely huge and time consuming for me to bother with. This line can cause a very rare error where you will not be able to download a sound file for the video, because youtube-dl can not combine the best downloaded audio and video formats.

These errors will cause the specific videos to fail to download or combine properly but the software will continue on through all the channels that you have written in your youtube-dl-channels.txt file. Sorry this post is so long, I tried to find a spoiler tag, but I hope this is helpful to somebody trying to archive videos.

[Edited on 22-4-2018 by ohok]

Go To Top