Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: LD5050 potentially scamming
drzdude
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 17:21
LD5050 potentially scamming

User ld5050 has potentially scammed me out of 105$ after I goodwilled the money to him, my fault but just a heads up.

[Edited on 20-3-2018 by drzdude]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 17:23

Sorry to hear about that. He always seemed like a cool dude. I didn't want anything he was selling, but I'm a little surprised he would scam anyone.

drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 17:28

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Sorry to hear about that. He always seemed like a cool dude. I didn't want anything he was selling, but I'm a little surprised he would scam anyone.

I’m really surprised as well. Communication was great, but kept delaying me with shipping which I didn’t mind because I know life happens, but I paid his girlfriend because his PayPal wasn’t working, and he has ceased communication and she has blocked me on the account.

Very frustrated.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 17:33

well are you being reasonable by factoring in shipping times n such?

I had to wait over a month on some of my orders from others.

Ok second post clarifies it!

Sorry to hear, I hope it gets fixed for you!

[Edited on 20-3-2018 by XeonTheMGPony]
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 17:34

Shipping time is one thing, but I don't see why a tracking number couldn't be employed.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 17:36

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Shipping time is one thing, but I don't see why a tracking number couldn't be employed.

He said he would provide one after he shipped it, saying it was all packaged up and ready to go but he was busy with work, that was a week after paying, and still days ago.
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 17:38

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
well are you being reasonable by factoring in shipping times n such?

I had to wait over a month on some of my orders from others.

Ok second post clarifies it!

Sorry to hear, I hope it gets fixed for you!

[Edited on 20-3-2018 by XeonTheMGPony]

Yeah it’s unfortunate! Two other orders with users have gone smooth and I guess I got too comfortable!
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 17:39

Update: the girlfriend has deleted her account completely, not just blocking me.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 18:10

This is unfortunate, but we will wait to hear his side of the story before jumping to any action such as an official denouncement or a ban.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 18:12

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
This is unfortunate, but we will wait to hear his side of the story before jumping to any action such as an official denouncement or a ban.

I will provide screenshots if you would like them, I’m not trying to start a witch hunt, but you can clearly see his inactivity as of recent.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 18:21

He's been active on the forum as of 4 days ago but hasn't posted in about a month. That isn't unusual by any means. I will send a U2U to him, and if he doesn't respond to it the next time he is active on the forum, I will call for administrative action.

Edit: And I'm not trying to discount your situation, but it seems very odd that someone who has completed legitimate transactions in the past and has seemed genuinely interested in chemistry would suddenly decide to burn all bridges with the forum for the sake of stealing a small sum of $105

[Edited on 3-20-2018 by Texium (zts16)]

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 18:23

Yes, four days ago he sent this:

Hey sorry for kind of leaving you in the dark my girlfriend who you sent the venmo to said she got a message from you. Anyway, things have been crazy with the snow storm and I plow and do snow removal so I have been swamped but I have your stuff all packed up and ready to go I even put a little something extra in there for you. I'm out doing snow removal now but on lunch break I'm going to go over to post office and send package out. Again sorry for not getting back to you but package will be sent out today. I will send you tracking as soon as I get it.

He's been active on the forum as of 4 days ago but hasn't posted in about a month. That isn't unusual by any means. I will send a U2U to him, and if he doesn't respond to it the next time he is active on the forum, I will call for administrative action.
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 18:30

@Edit: Yeah I am really hoping this is the case, but his girlfriend has deleted her account after I messaged her on there about her boyfriend's lack of communication. Mind you the message I posted was over a week after payment, which was sent after he said he could ship the next day.

I just don't know what to do in this situation, so would rather it be public information, thanks.

Edit: And I'm not trying to discount your situation, but it seems very odd that someone who has completed legitimate transactions in the past and has seemed genuinely interested in chemistry would suddenly decide to burn all bridges with the forum for the sake of stealing a small sum of $105

[Edited on 3-20-2018 by Texium (zts16)]
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 19:18

I wouldn't worry too much about his girlfriend. She doesn't know who we are, and having seen some media depictions of collections on grey-market debts, she may be afraid that you will send several Italian men in suits to her door with a baseball bat. It's possible that LD5050 had not reassured her effectively. Hopefully of course it will not come to that.

I think you did the right thing by making us aware of the situation, but hopefully he will still come through with the payment.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 19:24

Yes I don’t want to jump to assumptions, im reassured to see many people on here vouching for him, I just am a little uneased by the lack of communication even after apologizing for it before.

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
I wouldn't worry too much about his girlfriend. She doesn't know who we are, and having seen some media depictions of collections on grey-market debts, she may be afraid that you will send several Italian men in suits to her door with a baseball bat. It's possible that LD5050 had not reassured her effectively. Hopefully of course it will not come to that.

I think you did the right thing by making us aware of the situation, but hopefully he will still come through with the payment.
Sidmadra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 20:01

Hopefully he does come through. I probably would have waited a little longer before making a public post like this, because many times unexpected things do come up, but then again it's not very polite to leave someone hanging for multiple days with no word.
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 20:21

Yeah, I mean I payed 3/11 for 3/12 shipment, so all in all I think I have waited enough to at least bring the situation up.

Quote: Originally posted by Sidmadra  
Hopefully he does come through. I probably would have waited a little longer before making a public post like this, because many times unexpected things do come up, but then again it's not very polite to leave someone hanging for multiple days with no word.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 22:09

If it came by 3/31, would still beat some orders out of China-
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 23:54

I would still be patient for a week or so. After that, you can file a dispute at PayPal, at least, when you paid for goods or a service. Then you will get back your money. If you made a private payment (from person to person, not for any business), then you lost your money.

Paypal has a kind of insurance for commercial payments, they in turn ask a fee for that (the recipient pays the fee, which is appr. 3.5% of the total sum). Personal/private payments are free, as long as no currency-exchange is needed (e.g. from euros to dollars), but these also lack the insurance thing.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 02:13

Pretty sure that China prioritises postage to the USA.

Usually takes 4 weeks for stuff to arrive here.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 05:12

If it is "free.shipping", 3 weeks is typical to USA in my experience. Some goes 4, you might get luck and have an order in under 2 weeks. It is said that the Chinese government subsidizes the shipping costs to help Chinese businesses bring in foreign exchange.

Speed seems to somewhat depend on size/weight, I have had smaller items come quickly, apparently shipped as air cargo to USA then transferred on to USPS. Other slow to arrive and heavy or bulky items probably went into a sea container, arrived at West coast, unloaded and then transferred to USPS. If a Chinese seller DOES charge a somewhat higher, close to normal (for USA) shipping fee, the items seem to come faster, often via FedEx. Expensive, small items like a packet of nano Al or higher end electronics tend to charge more for shipping and arrive faster.

I have not ordered chemicals from China, beyond small quantities of some specialty metal powders and synthetic diamond grits. The all too common practice of declaring category 4 or even 6 chemicals as "T-shirts" or "copier toner" to get them shipped on in USA by USPS puts me off.

USPS will not knowingly handle ANY HazMat. Depending on the circumstances, submitting a HazMat item to USPS may be a felony, bringing federal charges. If my local postman breaks open a package with a category 6 chemical addressed to my business and is hurt or contaminates the local post office, it would be VERY expensive.

Attachment: Nine_Classes_of_Hazardous_Materials-4-2013_508CLN.pdf (618kB)
This file has been downloaded 972 times

[Edited on 20-3-2018 by Bert]
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 05:24

He made it a point to say his PayPal wasn’t working, so the payment was through Venmo, which means my money is long gone.

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I would still be patient for a week or so. After that, you can file a dispute at PayPal, at least, when you paid for goods or a service. Then you will get back your money. If you made a private payment (from person to person, not for any business), then you lost your money.

Paypal has a kind of insurance for commercial payments, they in turn ask a fee for that (the recipient pays the fee, which is appr. 3.5% of the total sum). Personal/private payments are free, as long as no currency-exchange is needed (e.g. from euros to dollars), but these also lack the insurance thing.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 07:08

Last Login: 15-3-2018 at 11:23 AM

5 days since LD5050 was signed in here.
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 10:23

I just got a response form venmo telling me that the account I paid was linked to scamming and known to have been scamming, and they have frozen the funds from it and the associated accounts on it.

Unfortunately for me, there is no buyer protection so I am out the funds.

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Last Login: 15-3-2018 at 11:23 AM

5 days since LD5050 was signed in here.

22222ed2e.PNG - 48kB
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 11:11

Weird.

According to the profile info, LD5050 has 164 posts, joined here more than 1 year ago and is 29 years old.

It is hard to imagine that $100 is worth that much time and effort.
(devoting 30 minutes is stretching it a bit thin ;)

Ah well, put it down to experience - you never know what situation people are in.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top