Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: LD5050 potentially scamming
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 11:26

I would take their recommendation and file a report with the police since he is known to scam according to that. As someone who has been the victim of theft before, it’s a massive inconvenience and completely unfair to you. It’s such a shame that it was done by a member of our community, and there are ZERO excuses to do such a thing, no matter how tight money is or the lost value. Sadly, there is only a slight chance you will see that money again, maybe since it was online there are better chances than if it were physical cash because of the ‘paper’ trail, but it will at least help to remove another criminal from the pool.

I mean I hope I’m not jumping the gun since I haven’t really interacted with him so don’t know how he is, and I hope it eventually works out, but all the signs point to that outcome so there are perfectly good reasons so suspect/expect scamming. Sorry to hear that it happened to you.

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 11:44

$100 online stuff is not a police matter.

Please don't go bothering them with it - it's a waste of everyone's time.

They have seriously more important things they should be doing.

drzdude
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 11:50

It’s not worth involving police, but 100$ is a lot of my disposable funds that is allotted to chemistry, which is such a shame.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 12:05

Exactly.

Engaging in online trades with unknown entities is risky, and either we accept the risk or decline to trade (i.e. Pay).

No point wasting Police time about it.

If it's any consolation, i 'lost' more than 20x that with an SM member some time ago.

It was my choice to gamble that much, so entirely my fault.

Damned shame the gamble didn't work out - could have been really interesting.

drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 12:08

I'm more upset that he would do such a thing, he seemed like a long enough user and nice enough guy.

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Exactly.

Engaging in online trades with unknown entities is risky, and either we accept the risk or decline to trade (i.e. Pay).

No point wasting Police time about it.

If it's any consolation, i 'lost' more than 20x that with an SM member some time ago.

It was my choice to gamble that much, so entirely my fault.

Damned shame the gamble didn't work out - could have been really interesting.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 12:13

That part is the most disappointing - the fact that they need small amounts of $ so much.

Like i said before, you never know a person's exact situation.

drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 12:24

I hope the money helps him if his situation is so dire. Maybe one day he can pay it forward when he is back on his feet.

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
That part is the most disappointing - the fact that they need small amounts of $ so much.

Like i said before, you never know a person's exact situation.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 12:32

'Pay it Forward' is a great saying.

First time i heard that was from arkoma

Must be a US saying - doesn't exist in UK English common parlance.

For UK-ers, it means the reverse of 'paying back'. : basically a favour gets done for someone else instead of paying it back to you (who originally did the favour).

It's a really nice idea.

drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 12:37

Wasn't aware it was a regional thing, thanks for clarifying for other readers!
weilawei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 12:37

Aga, as far as I know, it's taken from the movie of the same name. That's where I learned it, at least.
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 12:42

Wiki tells me it was coined by "Lily Hardy Hammond in her 1916 book In the Garden of Delight" when she wrote that ""You don't pay love back; you pay it forward."

However, the phrase was definitely popularized by Hyde's novel/movie.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 15:18

Oh there are a plethora of differences between Proper English and the scrambled botch of a language you Amuriquans speak.

It's about time America stood up and declared their linguistic deviancy out loud and proud.

Gloud Bresh Humeri Q !

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 15:32

Isnt language just something that develops? alot like evolution. Why is English called English? The deeds to our house are over 300 years old, none of the language in them resembles English of today. So many countries speak 'English' i personally think the notion that English is from England is outdated.

Maybe time to call it some other shit. Actually thats a pretty good name for it.
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-3-2018 at 20:41

Still nothing.

Anyway we can get his account closed so this doesn’t happen to someone else on the future? Thanks mods.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 25-3-2018 at 20:57

Quote: Originally posted by drzdude  
Still nothing.

Anyway we can get his account closed so this doesn’t happen to someone else on the future? Thanks mods.

I don't think this will happen. Anyway it is an admin thing and not a mod thing.
I'll alert woelen and Bert and see what they think the best course of action is.

I would be less inclined to think of this as malicious or scamming and more inlcined to put it down to disorganisation, negligence or stress-induced oversight. People do not always deal appropriately with stuff that occurs in their lives and failing others is a pretty common consequence. The whole situation seems uncharacteristic.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 25-3-2018 at 22:58

We will not simply block one's account because of private issues.
I agree with j_sum1, I also have the feeling that this is not deliberate scamming. If I look at his history here on sciencemadness, then I see a non-standard pattern. An actively contributing member who suddenly stops contributing.

@drzdude: I know that you don't buy anything for that, but the amount of money involved is not that high and yes, there is a certain risk associated with dealing with private persons on the internet.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
drzdude
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-3-2018 at 00:18

I can understand your confusion, but please note the deletion of the venmo account inline with the cessation of LD5050's appearance on this forum. As well as Venmo telling me personally the account I paid was scamming.

I just hope that this doesn't disappear for another man/women to lose money over.

And the money is high enough for me when chemistry is a hobby, it's not pocket change.

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
We will not simply block one's account because of private issues.
I agree with j_sum1, I also have the feeling that this is not deliberate scamming. If I look at his history here on sciencemadness, then I see a non-standard pattern. An actively contributing member who suddenly stops contributing.

@drzdude: I know that you don't buy anything for that, but the amount of money involved is not that high and yes, there is a certain risk associated with dealing with private persons on the internet.

[Edited on 26-3-2018 by drzdude]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 26-3-2018 at 03:51

In the meantime I was pointed towards some additional information and this made me change my decision. I will ask LD5050 for an explanation. I will block his account for posting, but I will leave U2U open and send him a U2U with the request for explanation.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 26-3-2018 at 05:37

LD5050 is not so unwell that he couldn't sign in to his account at The Vespiary, according to PM from a sciencemadness.org member who is also a member there.

(Edit)

We don't do an official, sanctioned swapping and selling sub forum here for several reasons.

We also can't stop members from doing it amongst themselves, but if your PERSONAL DEALINGS do not go well, it is not a sciencemadness.org problem.

It is a big mean world, and losing money is far from the worst thing that can happen to people trying to buy the wrong chemicals from strangers online.

I am locking this down for now.

[Edited on 26-3-2018 by Bert]
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Closed
26-3-2018 at 08:08
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Opened
27-3-2018 at 05:26
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 27-3-2018 at 05:33

The currently active staff have discussed this.

Consensus:

Private transactions and disputes need to be sorted out privately.

Any thread of this type will be closed with that statement as a reminder.

Sorry, but we don't have any legal standing, unbiased, accurate information or, frankly, the time to do anything else.
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Closed
27-3-2018 at 05:34
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top