Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Uses of kitty litter in the amateur lab
CobaltChloride
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 00:47
Uses of kitty litter in the amateur lab

I've heard some people praise kitty litter as being useful for multiple reasons. What do you think are its most important uses in the home lab?
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 02:30

Relatively inert desiccant is the use that screams out, probably best in a dessicator but if you don’t need stringent conditions you could probably chuck some in a vessel to scavenge water or other adsorbents, I mean that’s why it’s used in cat litter as well as odour control. If you crush it up, you can use it for rough chromatography, not for precision analysis of course but you should be able to use it to separate stuff to reasonable purity.

Edit: just to clarify I’m talking about the crystal litter, pretty much just silica with some crystals impregnated with cobalt chloride indicator.

[Edited on 21-3-2018 by LearnedAmateur]

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
Foeskes
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 02:37

It's pretty good for preventing bumping when distilling water. It will contaminated anything in the boiling flask though
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 02:49

Well there are all kinds of kitty litter.

I bought a bag once because it was the most convenient source of bentonite clay.

The other usable one around here is silica gel -- some with cobalt chloride infused "wetness indicator crystals". No idea of the purity or quality.

And then there are plenty made from assorted recycled materials including newspaper. I think this is a great idea for kitty litter but of no use in the lab.

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 03:39

- To clean up liquid spills.
The clay-based types should be pretty inert to most solvents, acids and alkali's.

- For purification. I've used it for instance to remove a dye from candle wax. Works pretty well.

[Edited on 21-3-2018 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 06:09

i bought a bag of silica gel kitty litter (free of any indicator) to use as a dessicant or boiling stones, i still have to test it's "humidity absorption" capabilities, but as boiling stones they work, i then bought 5kg of bentonite clay kitty litter as a spill absorber, in case a flask full of acid or solvent would crack or rupture i could immediatly dump clay on it and not have my workbench soaked with liquid

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 07:46

Just be careful which type you use for your nuclear waste ;) https://www.livescience.com/45602-did-kitty-litter-cause-a-r...
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 07:57

I've used various brands as sources of silica gel, Fuller's earth, and bentonite clay. I'd rather just get the unadulterated substances from a bulk supplier, but kitty litter can be a convenient source.

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 08:42

Cheap clay kitty litter is second to none for spills! I had a huge amount of old batteries i forgot about in large sack. they leaked..... I put a couple of KG of it down and swept it up, nothing was left on the floor. Its about £2-£3 for 10KG so worth having around.
CobaltChloride
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 10:55

It's really good to hear it has so many uses. I'm especially happy with its ability to deal with spills as that's one of the main fears I have about storing dangerous chemicals in the house.

Go To Top