Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Carboxylic acid -> Alkan
Filemon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-1-2008 at 12:42

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandmeyer
The issue of reducing phenylalanine to amphetamine has been brought up many times here and elsewhere, to the point of becoming boring. Wetdreams is a place to discuss repetitive, non-challenging, (meth)amphetamine-cookery topics.

[Edited on 30-12-2007 by Sandmeyer]

It already knew WD. I don't speak as making amphetamine. I only say a way to reduce the COOH. I didn't know that method. It is certain that nightflight wanted it to reduce the pheylalanine. I don't believe that you can apply to the phenylalanine.
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 11:25

Quote:
Originally posted by Filemon
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandmeyer
The issue of reducing phenylalanine to amphetamine has been brought up many times here and elsewhere, to the point of becoming boring. Wetdreams is a place to discuss repetitive, non-challenging, (meth)amphetamine-cookery topics.

[Edited on 30-12-2007 by Sandmeyer]

It already knew WD. I don't speak as making amphetamine. I only say a way to reduce the COOH.

Ok, fair enough, but there are methods to reduce -COOH to -alkyl, it can be done and in high yield in couple of easy steps, i.e -COOH ---> ester ---> alcohol --SOCl2-> alkyl halide ---Pd/C--> alkane, or -COOH --B2H6--> alcohol --SOCl2--alkyl chloride ---Pd/C--> alkane...

solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 11-1-2008 at 11:42

I may point out that alcohols halogenate better when they are HCl form and the reaction is not so difficult, even while using thionyl chloride, while preparing peptide linking material............solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2008 at 07:58

The reduction with a sealed vessel was attempted with a loud boom.......all was well for 40 minutes as the pressure rose to 30psi then went down to 15 psi and the reaction was left alone for what would be 6 hours .....later away from my lab I herd the loud muffled boom.......my bottle had ruptured and all that was left was the smoldering iodine smell .....will try it again but in a metal reactor -glass lined.....that should hold back the phosphorous attempt to blow maybe I will make sure the thickness of the reactor is 1/8 " to 1/4" thickness to withstand a good amount of pressure........solo

[Edited on 25-2-2008 by solo]
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 15-8-2008 at 13:19

phosphine gas formation may i sugguest you prige your vessel next time it spontaously goes boom in contact with air. and it's formed at the temperatures you speak of.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 15-8-2008 at 14:00

There are literature procedures for the preparation of amphetamine from phenylalanine.
But reduction of the naturally occuring optical isomer of phenylalanine yields the inactive isomer of amphetamine.
So you are wasting a lot of time and money making a drug that will not get you stoned!
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-8-2008 at 14:42

Quote:
Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel
There are literature procedures for the preparation of amphetamine from phenylalanine.
But reduction of the naturally occuring optical isomer of phenylalanine yields the inactive isomer of amphetamine.
So you are wasting a lot of time and money making a drug that will not get you stoned!

..................assuming the trial was with the (-) isomer......however the issue is not if active or not, the issue is the chemical reduction of an acid to a hydrocarbon......yes, I've read the studies and know of Rhodiums first time published reduction of carboxylic acids to hydrocarbons, however this is the venue of the thread to reduce the acid via a previously documented method some time ago by both Gatterman and Vogel............solo

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 15-8-2008 at 15:28

Fair enough.

It is good for cold cures though so you can sell it on to the snuffle inhaler people if you can make it economically :D
jon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-8-2008 at 10:20

wait a minute? so your saying d,l isomer won't yeild d,l on reduction? where did this information come from?
Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

Mood: Stochastic

[*] posted on 20-8-2008 at 10:31

Hmm.. I would think this reduction will mix up the stereochemistry, yielding probably zero ee.

[Edited on 20-8-2008 by Arrhenius]
jon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-8-2008 at 10:36

i.e. the chiral center remains the same unless it's"umbrellas" like in an sn2 reaction
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-8-2008 at 03:02

The naturally occuring isomer of phenylalanine is L-phenylalanine and if you buy phenylalanine from a health food shop this is the one that you will get.
D- phenylalanine is available from chemical supply houses at a price.

When you reduce the carboxylic acid group to form amphetamine there is no change in the optical centre so the natural and cheap isomer gives the relatively inactive L isomer of amphetamine.
nightshade
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-8-2008 at 09:31

So Solo you reduced the phenylalanine to what using I/RP?
Just kind of wondering someone called Krz said he did it years ago at the hive,but later someone said that he just made stuff up then krz went away just like the stories he told.Right now at wetdreams they are posts that it will but I have never heard of any sucess doing direct reduction of phenylalanine.
nightshade
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-10-2008 at 11:18

Hello, what do you get when you reduce phenylalanine using I/RP?What I am really wondering is if can be done at all?
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2008 at 12:43

Quote:
Originally posted by nightshade
So Solo you reduced the phenylalanine to what using I/RP?
sucess doing direct reduction of phenylalanine.

........can you point out to me where I made such claim?....as for the carboxylic acid being reduced to the alkane ....had you read the whole thread you would have known who made the claim.....however the alcohol of phenylalanine, phenylalaninol, has been reduced to the alkane .....that claim I've made .......next!......solo

jon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-10-2008 at 21:20

on the subject of the kolbe reaction it don't work here, you get dimers because the intermediates are stabilized by the lone pair on the nitrogen.
i'm retarded, but i know that much.
just so you don't waste time with that avenue.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top