Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What are the condensers that work for both reflux and distillation
CobaltChloride
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-3-2018 at 12:16
What are the condensers that work for both reflux and distillation

Would a 300mm Dimroth condenser work equally well for both distillations (used in the same position as a Liebig condensers) and refluxes? Would the fact that the heavy cooling water tube hangs from just two small points make it prone to breaking during use? If this condenser is not good, is there any other condenser that is great for both refluxes and distillations?
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-3-2018 at 14:35

Far as I know a Dimroth is made for reflux, that the point of them. As to other use I wouldnt know but would guess if you set a reasonable limit on what your asking it to do, then it should be ok. I got all kinds of condenser but actually only really use a friedrick or Ahlin for most things, you can see the vapor front.

Rule of thumb i use is if it dosnt get past 3-4 coils then its fine. The Ahlin or whatever its called, i use with stainless steel scrubber pads as a kind of fractional condenser. I dont have the luck with Graham condensers they seem to flood and spit for me and i got a decent one.

I have a Liebig and have honestly never used it.
happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2018 at 15:33

Leibig, West, cooled coil, dimroth, vigreux, just a plain tube with a fan blowing on it...

A dimroth won't break from thermal stress if it is built/annealed properly.

[Edited on 3-27-2018 by happyfooddance]
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 27-3-2018 at 17:34

I think of the Graham as a distillation condenser, or a scavenger reflux condenser. Something to place atop a less efficient condenser, to catch a little escaping vapor, after the primary reflux condenser has done its job.

The Grahams I currently own, are the 200mm type. Very efficient. Very small diameter coil tubes inside. Easily plugged-up. If I tried to use them as regular reflux condensers, a vigorous reflux, would rocket propel them through the ceiling.

There is no perfect condenser that works well for every application. Moreover, what we might call "better condensers" cost a bundle. They can still break however.

The Liebig and the Alihin, are both pretty versatile, and reasonably priced.

At least, for many of us, they are reasonably priced. Being in the U.S., most of us can buy glassware dirt-cheap, postage free, from China.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2018 at 19:24

You can use a Dimroth almost anywhere. They aren't quite as efficient as Graham condensers, but Dimroths are almost as efficient as Grahams, and Dimroths are less susceptible to getting flooded by bumping. Usually, you can swap a Dimroth condenser in for a Liebig; I typically only avoid it when I am worried about breaking it or think it might be hard to clean the condenser afterward. I don't even have a Graham condenser.

[Edited on 28-3-2018 by JJay]

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 27-3-2018 at 20:25

Our wiki has a nicely detailed page about different condenser styles: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Condenser

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
CobaltChloride
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-3-2018 at 23:39

Quote: Originally posted by happyfooddance  
Leibig, West, cooled coil, dimroth, vigreux, just a plain tube with a fan blowing on it...

And do you think that one from deschem from ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/331106170297) would be annealed properly?
Radium212
Hazard to Self

Mood: Pyrophoric.

[*] posted on 28-3-2018 at 02:47

My Graham tends to choke up and spit in distillations, but runs pretty well in refluxes.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2018 at 03:52

Quote: Originally posted by CobaltChloride  
Quote: Originally posted by happyfooddance  

And do you think that one from deschem from ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/331106170297) would be annealed properly?

Given I used the liebig to distill sulfuric acid and ethylene glycol and no issue what so ever I'd wager his manufacturer does a good job of it! I order from them all most exclusively now as had very good dealings and they are good at comm's!

Interestingly I just ordered the 300mm version of that! Will be for my azide synth.

[Edited on 28-3-2018 by XeonTheMGPony]
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2018 at 15:41

Deschem is reputable. As a bonus, your shipment might appear after only a week or so.

It isn't a certainty, delivery times can vary, but on several occasions my orders have shown up in seven days or less.

In glassware, nothing is certain. Alas, glassware is all too mortal.

You pays yer nickel, and you takes yer chances.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2018 at 15:54

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
Deschem is reputable. As a bonus, your shipment might appear after only a week or so.

It isn't a certainty, delivery times can vary, but on several occasions my orders have shown up in seven days or less.

Can't say it any better then that really, eventually I want two of every thing so when it does pop I have a spare on hand, but till I can start making some money off of it can't do much (Mint oil and other extracts where I made my doll back in the lands of hills and trees!)
CobaltChloride
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 04:31

Quote: Originally posted by zed  

I've ordered from them before and it took two and a half months to arrive, but this is most probably due to the lazy customs workers in my country
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 05:45

time of year playes a big role too, I suspect my orders will take ruffely a month given time of year and weather n such.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 10:41

Quote: Originally posted by CobaltChloride  

I have that exact Dimroth, and it works fine. The only criticism I have of it is that 3/8 vinyl tubing doesn't grip the hose barbs tightly, so I have to use small latex spacers to prevent leaks, but that's typical.

zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 16:02

Cobalt Chloride,

It would be nice if you could find inexpensive glassware closer to home. Glassblower?

Many of us seem to reside on the West Coast of the United States.

As such, we enjoy a special relationship with the Far East. China and Japan, are geographically quite close to us.

Thus, the Chinese, who covet American Dollars, can deliver us glassware cheaply and promptly.

Two and a half months, is a long, long wait. I would go crazy.

Go To Top