Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Step down adjustable buck converter for electrolysis
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 06:24
Step down adjustable buck converter for electrolysis

Hey SM,

I am having some problems with power supply for electrolysis. I have nonadjustable 48V 30A DC power supply which I would like to use for electrolysis, but I am running into some problems with adjusting the voltage.

Can't find any high power buck converters (there are 15 amp output ones, but no higher current).

I tried to get into building my own converter (I have some high power MOSFETs, diodes, capacitors and inductors laying around), but although my profession is electric - I have some problems when it comes to electronics.

Maybe someone have any Ideas how could I get the voltage down to about 12V (better yet - adjust it) and still be able to push at least 40 Amps?
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 09:37

Quote: Originally posted by TheMrbunGee  
Hey SM,

Maybe someone have any Ideas how could I get the voltage down to about 12V (better yet - adjust it) and still be able to push at least 40 Amps?

Well....there are such modules:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/800W-30A-DC-Buck-Converter-Step-dow...

Or you could buy a 5V 70A power supply and be done with it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Switch-Power-Supply-Driver-DC-5V-70...

Or you could pwm your existing power supply output with a mosfet based circuit and sink it into a nice big capacitor bank to smooth out the ripple and get rid of voltage spikes.

For electrolysis you do not really need much over 5V (if you do not plan to run several cells in series off the same power supply). Except perhaps for color anodizing Ti or some similar process.

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 09:50

Quote: Originally posted by markx  

Well....there are such modules:

Or you could buy a 5V 70A power supply and be done with it:

Or you could pwm your existing power supply output with a mosfet based circuit and sink it into a nice big capacitor bank to smooth out the ripple and get rid of voltage spikes.

For electrolysis you do not really need much over 5V (if you do not plan to run several cells in series off the same power supply). Except perhaps for color anodizing Ti or some similar process.

Dude how did I not found that!?

And I did not even think of just buying a power supply, Thanks. I think I will stick with the 5V supply, maybe in the future try to make my own mosfet converter.. :)

Thanks a lot, feel a bit stupid, because I spent like 2 hours browsing ebay. :D

markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 10:04

You are most welcome :) !

Buying the power supply probably is the most efficient way to get ahead if your intention is conducting electrochemical experiments and not concentrating on electronical topics.
Just do not buy the cheapest one available on ebay....they look the same, but are really crappy (no fuses, no grounding, noexistant assembly quality, oh yeah and they like to burn like a merry hell)....

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2018 at 02:11

There is always running cells in series, so if you wanted to run your 48v supply and run at 12v, you could run 4 cells in series. IDK your setup but this type of thing works well for H2 & O2 generation by running alternating plates (isolated from each other) and you can also put a neutral plate in between which seems to give higher outputs.

What are you trying to electrolisyse? If you are looking for 12v, there is always the car battery or SLA batteries from computer UPS backups. Are you looking to run extended periods?
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 28-4-2018 at 16:10

Um. Some chargers have a 30-50 Amp, "Jump" function. Might burn out if you tried to run continuously though.

As I recall, serious power supplies, cost serious money.

I however, do have 4 or 5, ordinary 10 Amp, 12 volt battery chargers.

Am I correct in supposing that I could hook them up in parallel to produce 12 volts at 40 Amps?
officescape
Unregistered

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 23:55

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  
There is always running cells in series, so if you wanted to run your 48v supply and run at 12v, you could run 4 cells in series. IDK your setup but this type of thing works well for H2 & O2 generation by running alternating plates (isolated from each other) and you can also put a neutral plate in between which seems to give higher outputs.

I second this method, with the caveat of hydrogen and oxygen generation as the author stated but thinking about it, it is probably an excellent way to scale up electrochemistry, most of these designs have round cells in a round tube with the top of the round plate cut off on every cell so the gases can combine and vent, as well as for loading and unloading.

George Wiseman has some really good designs out there and a lot of crazy ideas about the magical properties of electrolytic H2 gas.
yobbo II
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-4-2018 at 14:54

Have a look at computer power supplies in parallel
It is possible to put two of theses supplies in parallel and isolate each supply from the rest by putting in a diodes into both leads from the supply's. You may have to use identical units (which may be hard to come by) so that the current is shared equally between units. Do not run the combined units at the max. new possible combined current as the supplies will probably not share the current equally among themselves.
Another alternative for using computer supplies in parallel is to connect all positives to the anode and connect each negative to a separate Cathode. The Cathodes should be of equal size and spacing from the Anode and from each other. Diodes should also be placed in each supply to help isolate each supply and stop current being driven into one supply from another.

According to pdfbq over on www.AmateurPyro.com computer power supplies can be connected in parallel without any diodes. Just simply connect the red wires (5V) together and the black wires together. The problem that occurs is that it is impossible to turn on the power supplies at exactly the same time. As soon as the first supply turns on it will be overloaded (by the low resistance load, a large cell in this case) and shut down. You must remove the Anode (or Cathode or both) from the cell, turn on the paralleled supplies and then lower the electrodes slowly into the cell so that each supply can take up its fair share of the load as the current builds up. You could also put a resistor in series with the cell that can be switched out of the circuit as soon as you get all the power supplies switched on and running at the full current.

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm

Have you looked into winding your own transformer using a microwave transformer (or other transformer core). Seriously cheap and serious current.
You can tap at the required voltage etc

Yob
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
27-11-2023 at 12:15
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2023 at 17:13

Hello,

There are some rather LARGE smps at this link.

https://danyk.cz/index_en.html

As a side note:
I enjoyed the section on MOT sparks!
and the FAQ too.
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 4-12-2023 at 12:13

For anyone wanting to 'roll-your-own' power supply, Texas Instruments have an online tool called Webench. This will take the input voltage and output voltage and current you specify, search through TI's parts catalogue, and generate a bunch of designs that fit your specs, complete with a parts list and simulation results. You can also choose to optimise for size, efficiency or cost.
https://webench.ti.com/power-designer/

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2023 at 13:56

As you want 30A I'm assuming that this is for decomposing water to oxygen and hydrogen?
ie you want a high rate of decomposition.
If so then the 'best' approach would be many cells in series,
utilising both maximum available current and voltage from your power supply.

Current control:
There are so many options,
but I think that a good option would be to build more cells than you expect to need,
and adjust current by varying the number of cells in series.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-12-2023 at 09:28

Thanks TwoSpoons but

I put a design into the machine and it give me back a 'we cannnot do a design for your specs' (or somethign like that) + a pile of reasons why it could not do it.

supply.gif - 20kB
fx-991ex
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-12-2023 at 11:28

current too high.
Rainwater
National Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 6-12-2023 at 13:15

$80
3.6kwatt 10-140v auto transformer branded as a welder
https://www.amazon.com/Pitbull-Ultra-Portable-100-Amp-Electr...

$50
4 100amp 1600v welding diodes
https://www.amazon.com/Fielect-Rectifier-Rectified-Repetitiv...

$12
5 200v 470uf caps total 2350uf of capacitors
https://www.amazon.com/Cermant-Capacitor-0-63x0-98in-Electro...

Should get you about a max of 30amps dc wired in full bridge configuration at 120v
Over 80amps at 60v

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 6-12-2023 at 13:35

Quote: Originally posted by yobbo II  

Thanks TwoSpoons but

I put a design into the machine and it give me back a 'we cannnot do a design for your specs' (or somethign like that) + a pile of reasons why it could not do it.

Well, building a 1.5kW offline isolated supply is not so simple. You likely need to start with a PFC, followed by a quasi-resonant full bridge converter and finished off with synchronous rectification. Thats a fairly complex system, beyond what webench was intended for.

But if you already have a 48VDC server supply and you want to go down to a few volts at lots of current, then webench probably has an answer for you.

[Edited on 6-12-2023 by Twospoons]

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2023 at 05:35

Quote: Originally posted by fx-991ex  
current too high.

The page allows up to 180Amps!

I don't know much about smps.

The links on the Chez. page
use MOT's to bring the voltage down to a lower level (from the mains).

Thanks,

Yob

Go To Top