Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lab Books
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 10:14
Lab Books

I purchased this laboratory book a few days ago and am delighted with my purchase. This is my fourth lab book in the past three years (all four being different designs and quality) and it is a new personal favorite.

The hard cover version is worth the extra price. It not only protects the it but also aids in providing a firm surface for uniform writing. The material is a high quality mat back rubber that grips most surfaces very well. The pages are firmly attached to the book and lie flat against the other pages well writing. There is no bleed even when using fountain pens, though I recommend for anyone new using fine point Sharpie pens. A bonus of using fountain pens is that the ink smells of benzyl alcohol.

Here is the link to the book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1NWVUS/ref=oh_aui_deta...

if you would like to learn how to keep a laboratory notebook then here is some information.

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~bioslabs/tools/notebook/notebook.ht...

All that separates science from screwing around is writing down your procedure and results. Make sure to keep a record of your amateur experimentation.

20180408_140334.jpg - 501kB20180408_140314.jpg - 686kB

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 11:22

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  

All that separates science from screwing around is writing down your procedure and results.

Well said.

I use the same books. I'm on number 10 now. I like to use a Uni-Ball pen.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 11:40

Any pictures of what your lab book looks like Magpie? With all the publications you have authored I am sure its full of some good stuff

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 15:58

Here's some pictures. The last shows a leather cover that my son bought me for Christmas.

table of contents of notebook.JPG - 187kB experiment in notebook.JPG - 175kB leather notebook cover.JPG - 107kB

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 17:14

Mine is either non-existent or a mess. I did my whole PhD by remembering everything by heart... Well, if I did something in a certain way I did that for a reason and logically seen I can reproduce when I have to write down stuff.

When you can't remember numbers easily make sure you have a Labbook. I did a crapload of redenations to how and why I did stuff....
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 19:38

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Here's some pictures. The last shows a leather cover that my son bought me for Christmas.

I would have expected something more ornate and sophisticated than a composition notebook. That is a nice cover. I would worry about it being contaminated or damaged. I have heard at institutions they do not allow one to remove their laboratory books from the actual workplace due to fear of contamination.

[Edited on 9-4-2018 by VSEPR_VOID]

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 21:27

Maybe not at institutions but I always took my high school lab book home with me, complete with iodine stains, marks where dilute acids have started to eat the paper, paper chromatography results, and plenty burn holes.. No idea where it ended up even though I only finished last year.

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.

Go To Top