Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bad elements from ebay again
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 18-4-2018 at 21:03
Bad elements from ebay again

i found another ebay seller like yaolihong2013 that sells fakes and rubbish elements. so avoid as with yaolihong. he has the same bullshit excuses and refuses to refund even when clearly in the wrong. might even be the same people in both stores. i bought some Zn crystalline lumps and they were shitty oxidised little melted pellets. no vacuum packaging. no crystalline.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-grams-High-Purity-99-999-Zinc-Z...

ebay had to intervene to get my refund.

IMG_0243.JPG - 1.4MB

happy collecting !

Beginning construction of periodic table display
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-4-2018 at 22:45

Well the pic sure is pretty. And it is nothing like what you received.
Hope you gave negative feedback and minimum stars.

Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 19-4-2018 at 05:19

Wow, that looks nothing like what is shown in the picture. I would be pissed if I were buying to because of how it looked. I have a quite a bit of zinc and other metals that I don't care how they look, as long as they are of a certain purity. I can deal with a bit of oxidation.

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
diddi
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2018 at 17:28

its a case of ones purpose, as you say. i wanted for element display so i was prepared to pay a premium price (USD80 per kg) compared to rotometals price for an ingot of 2.5 kg for chicken feed (which i already have). what irks me is that i actually messaged before i bought to see if i could get a single 100gram lump, which of course i was assured was no problem. pffft

i know others who have been dudded by yaolihong2013 who has the same pics and replacement or fake items, including W powder sold as Ir, and believe it or not i was sold Te as Li ffs. the seller told me that it was special Li that did not require oil or argon packaging.

it is hard to find nice elements at good prices, unfortunately, but i guess the fussier one is, the more one pays.

DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 19-4-2018 at 17:54

Quote: Originally posted by diddi  

... believe it or not i was sold Te as Li ffs. the seller told me that it was special Li that did not require oil or argon packaging.

:o Hilarious response. That's made my day.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 19-4-2018 at 19:13

I'll trade you! No Te, but quite a bit of Li. It's been exposed to the air a bit though, so I recommend melting it under inert gas first.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
diddi
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-4-2018 at 23:31

not happy about 1 star it seems. LOL

Untitled-1.jpg - 236kB

VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 28-4-2018 at 23:38

His English is rather poor

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 02:02

not happy about 1 star it seems. LOL

So what did you do?

Thanks for the cash and free product.
or
Enjoy 1 star. Get it right first time!

diddi
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 18:10

well ebay have already refunded me. so do i scam something from him and end up with more crappy stuff? i dont think ebay feedback can be altered though?

LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 21:54

I’ve got plenty of refunds from crappy/broken/undelivered items on eBay, if they’re willing to give you a full refund AND resend the item then they’re not at risk of losing a significant percentage of money so it can hardly be considered a scam by any party involved.

Yes, the seller will send you a request for new feedback which will replace the old one but you cannot change it yourself. Not quite sure why you can’t but I’ve been through the same thing before.

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 22:48

well ebay have already refunded me. so do i scam something from him and end up with more crappy stuff? i dont think ebay feedback can be altered though?

I mean the zinc he did send you is still electrochemically pure, just not crystalline. That means it's still useful for say the generation of hydrogen gas or making zinc compounds.
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 28-5-2018 at 15:20

I bought some selenium powder a while ago (from pickbestforyou on eBay) and have only just got round to trying to do anything with it. Pretty sure what I have is not selenium though, as it's not doing any of the things selenium is supposed to. It doesn't even look like the mound of black powder on the eBay listing - it's more of a pearlescent grey. I don't think it's the grey allotrope either since selenium is supposed to melt at 220C and even hitting it with a blowtorch and melting the glass capillary tube it was in didn't melt the powder. I tried putting some in a stainless steel spoon and heating with the blowtorch, first from below to see if I could melt it (nope) and then directly torching the powder to see if I could burn it (nope).

Whatever it is, it's remarkably inert. I can't get it to react with or dissolve in anything.

edit:

Just thought to try mixing some of the powder with sodium hydroxide and heating with the torch again. Of course, the hydroxide melts readily and the mixture bubbled. At first the bubbles were probably just water, but after that was gone it continued to bubble and as soon as the bubbles burst (and hence the gas contacted the air) the gas burnt rapidly.

I'm thinking it might be silicon

[Edited on 28-5-2018 by DavidJR]

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 1-6-2018 at 18:12

Yeah, I got some elemental selenium, both the round lumps, and the black glassy shards. I accidentally ordered twice, (quite a while ago) and have extra. Anyone need any?

It burns, sort of like sulfur, but with white smoke that's really toxic to breathe. So definitely be careful.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-6-2018 at 13:28

Received my order of 30g of Mo powder (300-500 mesh) from pickbestforyouon on ebay.

The powder is a grey colour with several mm sized pieces one of which is pill shaped. It feels light (low density). It does not dissolve 12% H2O2. It does immediately and vigorously dissolve in 23% HCl to a colorless solution. On adding NaOH a white gelatinous precipitate forms which dissolves in excess NaOH. I conclude it is not Mo, could be zinc powder.

I have waited almost 6 weeks for it to arrive from China. I guess they get away with fake elements because most buyers don’t test the items. At least I will get my money back.
diddi
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-6-2018 at 15:03

i bought some cheap clamps from pickbestforyou. they were ok for what i paid, but it is hard to fake a clamp. i only use reputable sellers for elements as a rule, but as i said in OP, it did look very attractive.

as an update, the guy has pestered me for 3 months to change my feedback. he finally said he had made the refund and to check my paypal. pffft as if he would suddenly not lie. sure enough - no refund.

selenium is quite pretty. i managed to get a custom cast 2kg ingot cracked into random sized shards of optical grade 5N Se a while back. it is incredibly reflective and glossy black. very attractive as a display piece

Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-6-2018 at 15:57

Speaking of ebay sellers, has anyone had any experiences with huanshop2015 on ebay? I bought some molybdenum and niobium from him recently (it hasn't arrived yet), and I'm wondering if I should worry about it being fake.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-6-2018 at 16:01

What's the probability of getting fake chemicals/elements from chinese ebay sellers? I'm afraid to be ripped off by them):

wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-6-2018 at 16:13

I bought some of these

They were very weak, the fingers snap off at the base. I only use pressed sheet steel ones now, they don't grip very well but they are strong and cheap.
weilawei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-6-2018 at 17:08

I like the old Fisher brand Castaloy ones, and they're not all that much more. Pretty sure they'll outlive me.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2018 at 03:34

Quote: Originally posted by wg48  
Received my order of 30g of Mo powder (300-500 mesh) from pickbestforyouon on ebay.

The powder is a grey colour with several mm sized pieces one of which is pill shaped. It feels light (low density). It does not dissolve 12% H2O2. It does immediately and vigorously dissolve in 23% HCl to a colorless solution. On adding NaOH a white gelatinous precipitate forms which dissolves in excess NaOH. I conclude it is not Mo, could be zinc powder.

I have waited almost 6 weeks for it to arrive from China. I guess they get away with fake elements because most buyers don’t test the items. At least I will get my money back.

I like to ask about purity and tell them it is because I am running extensive tests on it for school. Seems they usually send real things when they know it'll be run through some thing that will prove it is fake in an instant, even when I'm not!

So far it seems to have worked.
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 14-6-2018 at 17:24

Quote: Originally posted by wg48  

Maybe they ran out of Mo powder and switched it up. Late last year I bought the exact same thing from this selller and it checked out to be Molybdenum. The powder was a dark grey nearly black and slowly dissolved into 31% HCl leaving a dark yellow greenish solution. Adding NaOH to that gave a black precipitation. Pretty sure I got the real deal. I had also bought Co, Cu, Ti and B powders from them with no problems. I probably won’t try my luck at eBay Ir powder though. Seems like others here have been ripped off with that. I guess it’s a roulette game.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2018 at 18:45

Quote: Originally posted by NeonPulse  
Late last year I bought the exact same thing from this selller and it checked out to be Molybdenum. The powder was a dark grey nearly black and slowly dissolved into 31% HCl leaving a dark yellow greenish solution. Adding NaOH to that gave a black precipitation. Pretty sure I got the real deal.
How does Mo react with HCl?! Wiki didn't state that!?

[Edited on 15/06/18 by fusso]

diddi
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2018 at 21:44

ebay Ir is actually W
there was a guy selling cut up bullion of various PGMs so he may have Ir perhaps.

wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2018 at 23:04

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
Quote: Originally posted by NeonPulse  
Late last year I bought the exact same thing from this selller and it checked out to be Molybdenum. The powder was a dark grey nearly black and slowly dissolved into 31% HCl leaving a dark yellow greenish solution. Adding NaOH to that gave a black precipitation. Pretty sure I got the real deal.
How does Mo react with HCl?! Wiki didn't state that!?

[Edited on 15/06/18 by fusso]

"Molybdenum is soluble in nitric acid, concentrated sulfuric acid and aqua regia but not in hydrochloric acid, dilute sulfuric acid, hydrofluoric acid or potassium hydroxide solution"

From:https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/3527600418.mb743998e0018

Edit:
Note: the above does not necessary contradict Neon’s observation as it may be referring to large (relative to a powder) pieces of Mo that may dissolve so slowly that it is considered insoluble.

[Edited on 15-6-2018 by wg48]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top