Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Death from drop of water!
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-4-2018 at 12:35
Death from drop of water!

I remember now. Physics teacher in elementary school was talking about rain's drop ability to kill us all. He said it's due to potential and/or kinetic energy. I forgot exactly what else he told us. Now he's dead. He specifically told: "it penetrates your skull". Did he mean at some other than natural height?

Is this true? Then why doesn't rain kill us all? If for some reason rain can't kill us, can some other solid or liquid from high above the sky? Of course under enough mass so it doesn't all evaporate or disperse before it hits us.

Is there some specific material that will kill somebody from lower (than would be required for rain) height?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Metastable, and that's good enough.

[*] posted on 19-4-2018 at 12:57

Yawn.
This one was figureoutable on your own.

1. Terminal velocity. Friction in the air limits the maximum speed that a drop can attain. Therefore not as much kinetic energy as you might suppose. There is therefore an upper limit to the amount of energy that is transferred to your head.
2. Surface tension. This is the force that holds the droplet in a round shape. As far as forces go, it is not strong. Big enough to hold an insect but not huge on our scale - not compared with the force required to break skin. This means that the droplet breaks up on impact and its energy dispersed. Not all of the energy goes into your head.

You will suffer injury if you encounter hail the size of apples.

If you are interested, take a look at the latest offering from sum_lab:
A primer on metals and non-metals with at least one novel experiment.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 19-4-2018 at 13:27

Please keep stuff like this to Lavatory or even Whimsy.

sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: "may we see your papers, please?"

[*] posted on 19-4-2018 at 16:36

Rain hurts like hell when you are falling down
while skydiving at terminal velocity (120 mph straight down).

The joke about that is it hurts because you are hitting the
pointy end of the falling rain drops.

Rain also can carve up a wooden airplane propeller
very badly and very fast.

Rain also stings pretty bad on the face when riding a motorcycle
at around 60 mph with no face shield nor windshield.

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison
VSEPR_VOID
International Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 02:09

I imagine a drop of water traveling at C would give you a good roughing up

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 03:34

Quote: Originally posted by aga  

No thanks, I don't consider it belongs to that categories.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 03:44

Quote: Originally posted by RawWork  
Quote: Originally posted by aga  

No thanks, I don't consider it belongs to that categories.

Not to be rude but I'm afraid allot of your posts beggar belief in how naive they are, or poorly thought out or researched.

Allot of them could be answered with a hour of searching and reading on Wikipedia or education at high school.

You are at least asking questions I suppose but you really need to invest some time studying these subjects as you learn about others as you go along.
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 03:52

I consider my questions worth trying experimentally and confirming, whatever is said. Or worth makin documentary or being tested by mythbusters. Also no wikipedia article mentions this exact subject, but maybe collections of wikipedia articles.

Now that I know it's about surface tension and terminal velocity, I can investigate further or read proper wikipeda articles.
Then imagine and try something better. Sometimes all I need is location of proper reference.

And this topic is very interesting and easy to try, compare, study...it's not some boring useless stuff. It's difference between life and death. Not something small. Instead most other topics I see here I don't even try to read because they are boring, useless, not practical, kiddy. Especially aga's ones.

To quantitatively explain say how worth and interesting it is, let's say I think this topic should stay here and be discussed here even 10 years later. There's lot we don't know about this.

If you think this is easy and simple, why not show sample calculation of drop of water?

Thanks everybody for useful comments, except one useless.

[Edited on 20-4-2018 by RawWork]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 03:58

If there is an atmosphere then a water drop will attain terminal velocity,
wich for water droplets in Earth's atmosphere is well known, or easily experienced.

If there were no atmosphere (e.g. Moon) then the water would evaporate - freeze - sublime on the way down and could (I believe) attain enormous/lethal velocity.
So I advise taking shelter if caught in a lunar rain storm :P

P.S. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_ice_(aviation)

P.P.S. It is a good idea to check things that teachers say,
sometimes they make mistakes,
usually they over-simplify to allow assimilation of new areas of knowledge,
sometimes they just don't know themselves - but find it hard to admit.
and
in checking/verifying you will LEARN.

P.P.P.S. if you are wise then you will realise that teachers/lecturers/mentors have a lot more to offer than basic curriculum 'teaching'.
It is partly the teacher's job to teach,
but more importantly, it is your responsibility to LEARN.
Go out there and grab the knowledge for yourself.

[Edited on 20-4-2018 by Sulaiman]

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 04:00

And that's due to your ignorance of how every thing inter relates. You should go through a high school science course, I think you can do so via a community college as you need to start from the very ground up from what I have read thus far.

And ditch the pseudoscience books will go a long way as well.

Reality is often boring compared to fantasy, but in the end reality all ways wins even if it doesn't feel good.

I do encourage and want you to learn, I'm sure all of us do here, but you need a base to build on and allot of your posts give me a strong sense you are missing this.

second problem I see is your attitude towards knowledge, the mundane boring stuff runs your life on the molecular level and the physics on the macro level, grasping both affords you a bit more control over your own life via understanding.

[Edited on 20-4-2018 by XeonTheMGPony]
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 04:14

I consider my questions worth trying experimentally and confirming, whatever is said. Or worth makin documentary or being tested by mythbusters. Also no wikipedia article mentions this exact subject, but maybe collections of wikipedia articles.

Now that I know it's about surface tension and terminal velocity, I can investigate further or read proper wikipeda articles.
Then imagine and try something better. Sometimes all I need is location of proper reference.

And this topic is very interesting and easy to try, compare, study...it's not some boring useless stuff. It's difference between life and death. Not something small. Instead most other topics I see here I don't even try to read because they are boring, useless, not practical, kiddy. Especially aga's ones.

To quantitatively explain say how worth and interesting it is, let's say I think this topic should stay here and be discussed here even 10 years later. There's lot we don't know about this.

If you think this is easy and simple, why not show sample calculation of drop of water?

Thanks everybody for useful comments, except one useless.

Mythbuster's makes a good show for young kids to demonstrate the scientific method (somewhat), but isn't suitable as a source for scientific information. Most of the "myths" tested by then could be easily answered with basic knowledge of high school physics.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 04:17

Force=Mass*Velocity (Acceleration of gravity)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU15U4562mE

total time to do this (Get relevant info) 10 seconds

One I know off memory and 5 seconds to type into google

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 04:19

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  

F=M*V^2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU15U4562mE

total time to do this 10 seconds

That was 10 seconds wasted then :P
Plus the time to watch the video and realise that it will not significantly help in calculating terminal velocity or impact energy in an atmosphere.
Did you actually watch the video or just pointed to it to waste my time ?

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 04:20

Seconds not minutes lol I do mean literally seconds to, extreme ignorance is easy to fix, easier yet if they took the 10 seconds to learn befor posting!

https://sciencing.com/calculate-force-impact-7617983.html

here's a very good link, but like all valuable things it is boring numbers

Quote:

Impact From a Falling Object Suppose you want to know the impact force of a rock with a mass of one kilogram that falls from a height of two meters and embeds itself two centimeters deep inside of a plastic toy. The first step is to set the equations for gravitational potential energy and work equal to each other and solve for force. W = PE is F × d = m × g × h, so F = (m × g × h) ÷ d. The second and final step is to plug the values from the problem into the equation for force. Remember to use meters, not centimeters, for all distances. The stop distance of two centimeters must be expressed as two hundredths of a meter. Also, the acceleration due to gravity on Earth is always 9.8 meters per second per second. The force of impact from the rock will be: (1 kg × 9.8 m/s^2 × 2 m) ÷ 0.02 m = 980 Newtons.

RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 04:23

But I hate complications. I can't like difficult stuff. I imagine life as simple and easy. Whenever I see something difficult or complicated, I go away. Avoid, simplify, find alternatives. I am only trying to enjoy, and am using science for that objective. Nothing else. Just like people do drugs for that exact same reason. Nothing else matters.

If job, relationship, game, talk becomes suffering, for example boring, lie, useless, destructive, I am no longer interested. Maybe atoms and sun are complicated, but thinking about that won't change or improve anything. Worrying and similar. I am more likely to do something if it's simple enough. Not complicated, it would just demotivate me. If there's anything that I need more, it's simplicity.

What pseudoscience? If you think my global warming or nonlethal defensive chemicals are bad topics, then either you or me and billions of other people are insane.

That last equation you posted is well known to me and doesn't tell anything. According to that, drop of water kills people?

OK, that last one is already better...

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 04:27

But I hate complications. I can't like difficult stuff. I imagine life as simple and easy. Whenever I see something difficult or complicated, I go away. Avoid, simplify, find alternatives.

Then there is little point in asking questions here :P

In my opinion, if you think that life (the universe and everything) is simple then you are a simpleton.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 04:29

And there is the root problem of your life sorry to say.

As for the pseudoscience is one book you referenced a while back.

Life is tuff, and if you cower at it, it will mercilessly crush you every time. If you want the good stuff you got to bear it through the boring, uncomfortable annoying bits and just get it don, this includes learning.

The rewards far out way the head aches those numbers can give. You really need to go back to school and get your self a basic foundation, I feel sorry that some how you got robbed of this!
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 04:46

Whenever I see something difficult or complicated, I go away.

You always have that option. But if you actually want to understand then you will at times need to do the hard grind.

What you can't do is expect others to entertain your fantastic postulations if you yourself are not prepared to engage deeply with the answers given and the scientific principles that underpin those answers.

RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 04:49

No man, one psychologist killed herself 2 years ago because she tought about complicated stuff. All coworkers said she was healthy, no financial or relationship problems. Just tought too much. One professor too, he was extremely smart, but gone too far with complications. Hope you don't need reference for that too. Also not long time ago, I believe due to overly exhausted mind, aka complications, one doctor accidentally put formaldehyde into some woman, and put here to extreme slow suffering to death. That are just some consequences of too much thinking, too much working, or anything too much too difficult.

As for Herbert M Shelton and J.H.Tilden and Ross Horne ideas, I believe them, and they are based on very simple self evident science. I had hay fever since I was 7 as far as I remember. Antihistaminics didn't help, except maybe 5% of the time (1st few pills). Then these 3 people gave exact cause of it, unlike today's mainstream science which has not yet discovered anything with their extremely precise technology. Cause is inflamed mucous membrane of nose and throat which is inflamed 100% of the time. There's cause. Makes sense. I've done tonsilloctemy at age of 10 for the same reason. It's so obvious that it's something in me that makes me sensitive to pollen, and that pollen is not cause, otherwise everybody would react same. My current, and actually since birth health status of throat is hell. Mucous membrane is inflamed in winter, just because I don't sneeze or there's no pollen, doesn't mean I am healthy. Allergy is to be expected. Also Shelton explained how it's dangerous to mix solids with liquids, or food with food, because for example proteins require acidic pH, and carbohydrates require alkaline pH...

Even modern science supports Sheltons ideas. All wikipedia articles actually claim that for example tooth can be regrown. Tooth is not like some dead rock that once tooth decay is progressed, can't be regrown. It's alive organ, almost like whole organism or plant. It's what we do today and tommorow what prevents it from growing, aka moves pH or various equilibriums towards negative side. Already read wikipeda articles about such stuff. It's just that wikipedia or some of it's articles didn't notice those others and are not synchronized or updated. As Shelton said "future scienctists will realize all i was saying is true, but it's just question when, hope not too late".
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 04:52

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Whenever I see something difficult or complicated, I go away.

You always have that option. But if you actually want to understand then you will at times need to do the hard grind.

What you can't do is expect others to entertain your fantastic postulations if you yourself are not prepared to engage deeply with the answers given and the scientific principles that underpin those answers.

I will either experimentally prove it, bypassing all complicated equations and philosophies, or divide all complicated stuff into many simple ones. As some said "how will you eat elephant?", "one bite at a time". My mind just like my muscles can't handle heavy stuff just like that. I tried, it turns into pain. :mad:
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 04:55

Ok you are either some one sheltered from any and all education or you are a troll at this point, the level of ignorance that has just been displayed is simply beyond belief! I simply can not accept some one is this deluded by accident and you your self proclaimed to value will full ignorance.

Can we cast all these self proclaimed garbage posts to where they belong, detritus!
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 05:00

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
Can we cast all these self proclaimed garbage posts to where they belong, detritus!

Ok.

I think we can call time on this one.
RawWork, come back with some hard data to discuss. Or some specific questions about scientific principles.

j_sum1
Administrator
Thread Moved
20-4-2018 at 05:01
RawWork
Hazard to Others

thumbdown.gif posted on 20-4-2018 at 05:11
No, thanks!

I don't feel urge to prove anything. It's just useless talk and ego. If you feel you'll gain something from your talk and this forum, stay on forever.

If I want to prove something I will do it in form of good deed. No need to ask for somebody to like me or believe me.

And regardless of this, I think this site is too boring. Nothing gets achieved through talk anyways. That's why I think forums are not place to succeed in any way. Only ego can succeed there.

Just like our fellow NurdRage, I am leaving you all. I am rejecting you.

We will see who will succeed more in life... Goodbye!
Oh shit, I already forgot my password and everything...

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 05:16

This looks like a bit of a dummy spit.
You did have a lot of members courteously address your question(s) but you did not want to listen.

I'll merge this into the previous thread.

j_sum1
Administrator
Threads Merged
20-4-2018 at 05:18

Go To Top