Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Laws regulating chemicals for a tiny home lab
Doped-Al2O3-fusion
Hazard to Self

Mood: Maniacal

[*] posted on 31-7-2018 at 08:04

I'm in the same situation. I live in a rented town home/apartment and my lab is in my home office. I talk to my apartment management on a near daily basis, so they know me well and they know my activities. I apologized for the smell I produced recently from making copper sulfide, which was a pretty brief incident. I normally contain the fumes quite well, but a little accidental slip caused the fumes to escape. However, the smells I produced were annoying upstairs to my wife and kids because the balcony door was open. The smell that the apartment management smelled wasn't me, but a dead animal. They told me they didn't smell anything and none of my neighbors were bothered.

Just work on micro-scale as suggested by everyone else. I typically do everything in test tubes or small flasks.

Also, be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS and aware of how each chemical will react.--especially peroxides and organic solvents. Read up on MSDS literature for everything you handle.

I'll again express extreme caution when it comes to peroxides and organic solvents. Here's a video of what can happen completely by accident. It also demonstrates why working micro-scale is much more safe.

Short video demonstrating the power of an accidental byproduct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2WSAgKFjrk

This video has more explanation as to how this mistake happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMKmHJf2T0Y&t=137s

So far, the feds have not raided my home for those videos. LOL. Seriously though, be safe.
CaptainPike
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-8-2018 at 12:47

Good stuff, this thread.

I out right inquired of a friendly-neighborhood-chemical-supplier, "do you report sales of this kind of thing"? (Stuff like benzene and sodium borohydride)

He said that he absolutely does not. However, if the DEA were to put a person under investigation, everything he had bought online would be not only obtainable to them but flashing red in their internal documentation(and bullet points in their forthcoming indictments, etc.)

And in America, [previously land of the free] there is the "DEA orange book" A lengthy document, but the last few pages show a threshold which is "allowed" which is interesting reading. Most reasonable things that you might have a Liter/kilo or less of, are refreshingly tolerated. Things like ephedrine show a zero, ninguno está permitido.

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/orangebook/oran...

[Edited on 2-8-2018 by CaptainPike]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 12:10

Good idea have a lab book and record all your innocent work (which can otherwise be easily misrepresented to a jury of total science empty heads general full of biases, fears,...).

I do recall a local state regulations requiring all produced chemicals to be labelled (an infraction which makes it easy to arrest drug cooks and the like, and even innocent you, if do not label stuff).

If you make anything energetic, produce in small quantities and use it up immediately as you need a bunker to legally store such items especially in more than small quantities.

[Edited on 3-8-2018 by AJKOER]
titansupply247
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 10:54

america has to many rules! I from east Europe and can have large lab with no problem. If I lived in USA I would be out of business! :cool:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top