Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Separation of Nitroethane from Methoxy-2-propanol
Mesa
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 06:11

If the nitroethane containing products I've come across are anything to go by, the glycol ether compound(methoxy-2-propanol or phenoxyethanol usually) is only present in minute concentration, 2-5%.

It seems like any potential separation process will be either tedious or complicated. I've only had a bit of experience with nitro compounds but I'd suspect both hydrogenation/reduction to amino, and henry reaction would tolerate the impurity.

Possibly isn't worth the effort unless it's proven necessary for whatever the intended use.
Raven1
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-11-2023 at 10:36

I have extracted the nitroethane from the product I think you are referring to. I washed out the 1 methoxy 2 propanol with a couple of water washes , the dryed the dcm and nitroethane with sieves and distilled off them fractioned off the dcm and then the nitroethane . I got about 200 mls of nitroethane out of 500mls, I left the last few mls at the end it was very yellow.
I have since learned there might have been an isotropic boiling point with dcm and the nitroethane. The nitroethane worked fine for what I used it for , I hope this helped it was a long time ago and there a couple of products with similar names and both contain nitroethane but other things aswell. The one I think your talking about says 30 to 60 % nitro and it seemed to be spot on
sykronizer
Harmless

Mood: omnivorous

[*] posted on 9-1-2024 at 15:39

In 1993, I ordered 2.5 L of Nitro ethane, it arrived. Two weeks later, it arrived again (!) I was told they had to get it in for me, I guess that's shoddy paper work for you ! So I don't actually need any more. Still, I'm interested to know what type of product it was found in, prior to taking the plunge and ordering it, I looked (without the net) and found no other sources. Incidentally, it does form a salt with sodium hydroxide, which makes it more water soluble, if that's of any use to your separation ideas. But the other solvents won't interfere with your Henry reaction, which can be done with a wide variety of solvents and bases, hydroxide, all the lower aliphatic amines. I freebased some lower alkylamines from weedkiller, Glyphosate of all things, very OTC source of those amines.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top