Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Acetyl Chloride Watched?
einstein(not)
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-3-2007 at 07:20
Acetyl Chloride Watched?

I've looked at the old 1992 watch list and didn't find it. Considering how rediculous the US government has become about chemicals that doesn't seem right to me. Anyone know for sure?
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2007 at 07:23

States have their own lists, some counties and cities do too. All assuming you mean the USA, as seems to be the default. If Canada, replace 'states' with 'provinces' and so on.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 30-3-2007 at 07:34

Acetyl chloride is on this country's MOD-controlled chemicals list, so can't be imported or manufactured without a license from the Permanent Secretary of Defense's office. I have not quite worked out why.

Chloroacetyl chloride and bromoacetyl bromide I can understand because they are immediate percusrors to two military/police grade "tear gases" via Friedel Vrafts acylation of benzene. But acetyl chloride? Dunno why.
einstein(not)
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-3-2007 at 07:55

I was just assuming that since acetic anhydride is that acetyl chloride would be too.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 30-3-2007 at 16:53

Perhaps, but the list I am talking about does not involve drug precursors and acetic anhydride is not listed on it. This is entirely about chemical weapons (including nonlethanl ones like lachrymators.)

So the presence of AcCl on the list is to me, odd.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 31-3-2007 at 00:48

Not on the fed list but I would be not be comfortable being frontierpsychiatrist, the person with the winning bid of $31 for 100 ml of it on the US ebay auction that ended 16 hours ago; also an occasional buyer of 24/40 and etc. glassware, and 99 cent "Black Ninja Sword 37 inch NEW". I'd be less comfortable buying all the ebay chems with "pyro" in the title and description, though. I suspect that some people think that I'm paranoid, and that worries me.

Go To Top