Harmless

[*] posted on 15-10-2018 at 18:07

Awesome idea
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 16-10-2018 at 03:43

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
smvideo.djr.pw has been down for the past week or so. Does anyone know if it is coming back up?

Sorry - the situation is that the hosting provider, despite having my card details, failed to automatically renew the service as I had instructed. This resulted in them deleting the contents of my server. They sent an auto-email to say they had done that, but no prior warning email - I presume because their system is set up to not send payment reminder emails to customers who have requested automatic renewal. I will certainly not be using them again...

I haven't had time to do anything about this situation, so that's why the site is still down.

Anyway - I am thinking it may be better to recommend a decentralised solution, like Bitchute (as used by Chemplayer). This would avoid many of the problems of having videos hosted in one central location/by one service.
streety
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-10-2018 at 13:17

Would you be willing to name and shame? Sounds like a provider to avoid.

I'm not sure I would describe bitchute as a decentralized solution. There is still a single point of failure. They try to distribute the bandwidth/cost of serving videos but they only seems to work on the most popular videos. Quite often videos don't start at all.

I think the move to different platforms is healthy in the long term but there is value in having a single directory to refer to.
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 16-10-2018 at 14:03

Quote: Originally posted by streety  
Would you be willing to name and shame? Sounds like a provider to avoid.

I would prefer not to name/shame at this stage .

They try to distribute the bandwidth/cost of serving videos but they only seems to work on the most popular videos. Quite often videos don't start at all.

I have definitely experienced videos not starting to play as well. This appears to be when there are no peers at all to download the video from.

I'm not sure I would describe bitchute as a decentralized solution. There is still a single point of failure. [...]

I think the move to different platforms is healthy in the long term but there is value in having a single directory to refer to.

It's not totally decentralised but I think it's a step in the right direction. Perhaps what is really needed is some sort of federated/semi-decentralized system - I'm thinking something similar to the diaspora* project. This is unfortunately not a trivial problem to solve.

A stopgap approach could be to instead have a script run on a server and automatically download and re-seed videos from a specified list of bitchute channels, which would improve the availability issue. Could also have a web interface listing the chemistry channels/videos on the list and having a way to request a chemistry channel be added to the list of channels to seed.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top