Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Strange effect observed with solid Aniline HCl + Water
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 07:20
Strange effect observed with solid Aniline HCl + Water

Hi folks,
I was seeing if Aniline HCl could be turned back into Aniline by reaction w/ NaOH solution (spoiler: it didn't seem to work). I went about dissolving a small spatula full of Aniline HCl into about 75mLs of filtered tap water. Upon addition, the Hydrochloride crystals silently yet very quickly zoomed around the surface like they were propelled by some force. They quickly dissolved.
What's causing this? I added a thermometer and observed pretty much no temperature change. Is there another reaction taking place that I'm not aware of? Gases being released? Wizardry? The Force? I dunno. Share your ideas, your guess is as good as mine!
-R

Edit: Are there any other chemicals that do this too?

[Edited on 5-3-2018 by Rhodanide]

Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 08:16

The slight changes in heat as the crystals dissolve probably provide a strong enough convection current to push the crystals as they dissolve. I'd like to see this in action though

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río

Go To Top